View Poll Results: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years old?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it's not wrong. We should change the law so material that old is public domain.

    28 66.67%
  • It's technically wrong, but not really a big deal.

    8 19.05%
  • Yes, it's wrong. The copyright owner has the right to control it, even if he's an heir.

    5 11.90%
  • Not sure.

    1 2.38%
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 291

Thread: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years old?

  1. #101
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    You would think that really old TV shows (40 years or more) would have expired copyrights, but that's often not the case. Do you believe it's wrong to download such shows from unauthorized sources such as torrents?

    Just to be clear, the question is about shows 40 years old or more which do not have expired copyrights.
    I do not think its immoral to copy 40 year old shows. To be fair I do not think its immoral to copy something. If I go to the furniture store,see a table I like and go home and make a table exactly like the one I saw in the store. Did I do anything immoral,did I steal anything?Hell no I did not do anything immoral or steal anything. Now if I go and try to take credit for the design of the table or try to sell it as an original then it would be immoral and fraudulent.


    I made a poll on a similar subject last year.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...ic-domain.html
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #102
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    No, instead of a few mouse clicks they would just push a couple of buttons to record onto another tape and then mass distribute it that way. The way it is done may be different but mass distributing happened just as much back then with cassette tapes as it is done today with the computer and internet.
    having to physically copy a tape and distribute it is clearly more restrictive than loading something up on the internet, where millions of people can access it within hours. I'm honestly amazed that anyone would take a contrary position to that, being that it seems so fundamentally obvious

    PS not to mention your vhs and audio tape copies sounded like **** after the transfer. A digital copy can be endlessly traded with no degradation

  3. #103
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    Just so. Producer Steve Albini has a long tirade available on the internet about how much record companies take away from new artists on their first CD's, but doesn't acknowledge that the only reason the whole nation knows about their new CD is because of the huge marketing machine that the label has, and that the little indie band that could can't even dream of replicating.

    If you want to make a living, you can skip the major labels. If you to make it big...bite the bullet.
    Steve Albini has always been extremely jaded towards the record industry. I think Big black broke up specifically due to the fact they started gaining "commercial" success

  4. #104
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    I've seen enough rationalizing in this thread to last me a lifetime.

    Now, I'm not necessarily any more ethical in my actions than anybody else here, but at least I'm not kidding myself.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    The original pirate: How to pirate a vinyl record

  6. #106
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    There is the other extreme, also. Garth Brooks, for example, strongly believes that people shouldn't "own" CDs, tapes, albums, etc. People would essentially rent them. He would also make the second-hand market illegal and would require that people turn their CDs and such back into whomever "owns" them when done with them.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    There is the other extreme, also. Garth Brooks, for example, strongly believes that people shouldn't "own" CDs, tapes, albums, etc. People would essentially rent them. He would also make the second-hand market illegal and would require that people turn their CDs and such back into whomever "owns" them when done with them.
    Does he also want universal background checks to 'rent' those CDs?

    It's because of idiots like Garth Brooks that black market music is so prevalent.

  8. #108
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Does he also want universal background checks to 'rent' those CDs?

    It's because of idiots like Garth Brooks that black market music is so prevalent.
    Ha! Wouldn't surprise me. It also wouldn't surprise me if he wanted us to 'rent' music for only a limited time or number of plays, then force us to pay again to renew. I don't know that, but given his overall attitude, it wouldn't surprise me.

    This is one example (there are more) that I consider Garth Brooks to be an arrogant selfish prick.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #109
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Steve Albini has always been extremely jaded towards the record industry. I think Big black broke up specifically due to the fact they started gaining "commercial" success
    I'm not much of a fan of Courtney Love, and I have a lot of respect for Albini as a producer, but Love's quote in response to an insulting remark he made about her strikes me as an accurate assessment of his personality: "The only way Steve Albini would think I was a perfect girlfriend would be if I was from the East Coast, played the cello, had big tits and small hoop earrings, wore black turtlenecks, had all matching luggage, and never said a word."
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  10. #110
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    I'm not much of a fan of Courtney Love, and I have a lot of respect for Albini as a producer, but Love's quote in response to an insulting remark he made about her strikes me as an accurate assessment of his personality: "The only way Steve Albini would think I was a perfect girlfriend would be if I was from the East Coast, played the cello, had big tits and small hoop earrings, wore black turtlenecks, had all matching luggage, and never said a word."
    Tits always look better in a sweater. Just sayin'.

    ETA: Courtney Love not saying a word would be a good thing. But, that's a different issue.
    Last edited by radcen; 03-12-13 at 12:25 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •