View Poll Results: Do people tend to be more honest if their poll answer selection is private?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 50.00%
  • No

    6 37.50%
  • Other

    2 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: A poll about polls

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    A poll about polls

    Secret poll answers vs public poll answers.

    Do you believe that people tend to be more honest if their poll answer selection is private?

    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Other

    If so, does this suggest that public selection polls are automatically skewed because some (not all) people voted in a particular way in order to maintain a desired public image in spite of what they actually believe and think?

    While I don't consider polls to be the be-all-and-end-all of surveys, as they are voluntary and unscientific, I will admit that I do place less credibility on public polls precisely because I do believe some people are not completely honest in their selections. I believe that some people vote more for public image than per their true opinions. I believe that secret polls will tend to be answered more honestly.

    For this reason, I rarely choose the 'public' option when I set up a poll. If I do, it's usually for a fun topic, not a serious topic.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: A poll about polls

    If there is a perceived threat the vote is skewed.

  3. #3
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,702

    Re: A poll about polls

    Too often polls are designed to solicit a predetermined result, simply by the way a question is asked. When asked about gov't "job creation" as a priority, for example, if the choices are 1) favor, 2) oppose and 3) other many will say "favor", not because they actually have any idea how to accomplish that (favor any specific legislation) but they simply wish it to be so (they want more jobs). That is why "gov't do something" concepts poll very well, yet the actual approval of any specific implementation legistaltion is far, far lower. The "honesty" of the poll answer is not the issue, IMHO, but the way the poll question is posed.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #4
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: A poll about polls

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Secret poll answers vs public poll answers.

    Do you believe that people tend to be more honest if their poll answer selection is private?

    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Other

    If so, does this suggest that public selection polls are automatically skewed because some (not all) people voted in a particular way in order to maintain a desired public image in spite of what they actually believe and think?

    While I don't consider polls to be the be-all-and-end-all of surveys, as they are voluntary and unscientific, I will admit that I do place less credibility on public polls precisely because I do believe some people are not completely honest in their selections. I believe that some people vote more for public image than per their true opinions. I believe that secret polls will tend to be answered more honestly.

    For this reason, I rarely choose the 'public' option when I set up a poll. If I do, it's usually for a fun topic, not a serious topic.
    It seems most of the election polls were pretty much on the money especially considering their plus or minus 5 points most polls use. But people do tend to tell a pollster what they want to hear to a certain extent. These people would be the ones with no hard core view on the subject being polled. By this I mean if a polling firm calls and say I am taking a survey for (Throw in a pro-life group) we would like to know if you are for abortion, against abortion or have no view. Chances are these people with no hard view on abortion will respond that they are against abortion. Now if that same call said they are polling for a pro abortion group, these people would probably respond that they are pro choice. Then too it is all in how the question is worded, some questions are worded to get the response the pollster wants.

    Then there are some who will lie just to throw the pollster off. But over all if one being polled knows no one will know his answer to the poll, he is more apt to answer honestly than to tell the pollster when the one being polled thinks the pollsters want to hear.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #5
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: A poll about polls

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Secret poll answers vs public poll answers.

    Do you believe that people tend to be more honest if their poll answer selection is private?

    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Other

    If so, does this suggest that public selection polls are automatically skewed because some (not all) people voted in a particular way in order to maintain a desired public image in spite of what they actually believe and think?

    While I don't consider polls to be the be-all-and-end-all of surveys, as they are voluntary and unscientific, I will admit that I do place less credibility on public polls precisely because I do believe some people are not completely honest in their selections. I believe that some people vote more for public image than per their true opinions. I believe that secret polls will tend to be answered more honestly.

    For this reason, I rarely choose the 'public' option when I set up a poll. If I do, it's usually for a fun topic, not a serious topic.


    I choose the public option in the poll forum section because someone does not have to log in to vote and therefore can vote as many times as they want. By making votes public you can actually see how many members actually voted.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #6
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: A poll about polls

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I choose the public option in the poll forum section because someone does not have to log in to vote and therefore can vote as many times as they want. By making votes public you can actually see how many members actually voted.
    Good point.

    Note to others: I was specifically asking about polls here on DP, not Gallup polls and the such.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: A poll about polls

    my guess is anonymity generally leads to more honesty. however, you run the risk of some hack logging out and voting multiple times. still, I generally lean towards private polls.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: A poll about polls

    pollception!

  9. #9
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: A poll about polls

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    my guess is anonymity generally leads to more honesty. however, you run the risk of some hack logging out and voting multiple times. still, I generally lean towards private polls.


    This only a problem if the poll is in the poll forum section. If the poll is in some other forum section then only logged in members can vote.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: A poll about polls

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    [/B]
    This only a problem if the poll is in the poll forum section. If the poll is in some other forum section then only logged in members can vote.
    ok, thanks. I didn't know that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •