View Poll Results: Which (if any) of these guns in the classroom policies would you support?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Policy #1

    6 11.54%
  • Policy #2

    4 7.69%
  • Policy #3

    19 36.54%
  • Policy #4

    7 13.46%
  • Policy #5

    16 30.77%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Which (if any) of these guns in the classroom policies would you support?

  1. #1
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Which (if any) of these guns in the classroom policies would you support?

    1. Any teacher who wants to pack heat in her classroom may simply do so without any restrictions.
    2. A teacher must pass a simple gun safety course created by the school, then she's allowed to take a gun to her class.
    3. A teacher must get her state's concealed carry permit; then she's allowed a gun in her classroom. If her state has no such permit, the school creates a school carry permit and a test she must pass.
    4. A teacher must go through rigorous training program on gun safety, gunfights, criminology, etc. similar to what a police cadet would have to pass. At that point she's allowed a gun in her classroom and her pay is doubled as a result of her extra skill and responsibility.
    5. I do not support any policy that allows a teacher to have a gun in her classroom.

    (Note: I'm using the feminine pronouns here, but the teacher could also be male.)

  2. #2
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,708

    Re: Which (if any) of these guns in the classroom policies would you support?

    If a teacher is lawfully eligible to carry a firearm in his or her municipality then they should also be allowed to do so in the classroom HOWEVER I also believe that the teachers job is to teach and that a dedicated security force of some type should be the ones primarily responsible for school security.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,098

    Re: Which (if any) of these guns in the classroom policies would you support?

    l voted 4 for only the safety of children..

    but the antidote that will be used to eliminate this disease is not gun in my opinion .

    " he has gun ,l must have too " seems crazy to me and may not solve the problems .on the contrary it may increase..
    Last edited by Medusa; 03-09-13 at 06:43 PM.
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  4. #4
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Which (if any) of these guns in the classroom policies would you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    If a teacher is lawfully eligible to carry a firearm in his or her municipality then they should also be allowed to do so in the classroom HOWEVER I also believe that the teachers job is to teach and that a dedicated security force of some type should be the ones primarily responsible for school security.
    I don't think allowing teachers to carry puts them in charge of hall monitoring and parking lot roving.



    I choose #2 and #3. I'm willing to make my position more palatable by requiring a basic safety certificate, or some such, as additional training before a teacher carries to class.

  5. #5
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Which (if any) of these guns in the classroom policies would you support?

    I chose #1.

    If a teacher wanted to kill her kids, there are a million ways to do it, including simply bringing said gun to school. Making up laws to restrict law abiding teachers isn't going to change anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Which (if any) of these guns in the classroom policies would you support?

    I vote 2 or 3 to be fine with me.

  7. #7
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,894
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which (if any) of these guns in the classroom policies would you support?

    2 if I had to pin it down.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  8. #8
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Which (if any) of these guns in the classroom policies would you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    1. Any teacher who wants to pack heat in her classroom may simply do so without any restrictions.
    2. A teacher must pass a simple gun safety course created by the school, then she's allowed to take a gun to her class.
    3. A teacher must get her state's concealed carry permit; then she's allowed a gun in her classroom. If her state has no such permit, the school creates a school carry permit and a test she must pass.
    4. A teacher must go through rigorous training program on gun safety, gunfights, criminology, etc. similar to what a police cadet would have to pass. At that point she's allowed a gun in her classroom and her pay is doubled as a result of her extra skill and responsibility.
    5. I do not support any policy that allows a teacher to have a gun in her classroom.

    (Note: I'm using the feminine pronouns here, but the teacher could also be male.)
    I understand the sentiment, and I understand the theory, but in practical reality I believe that allowing teachers to carry guns in the classroom would be one of the dumbest most boneheaded things our country has ever done.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #9
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Which (if any) of these guns in the classroom policies would you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I understand the sentiment, and I understand the theory, but in practical reality I believe that allowing teachers to carry guns in the classroom would be one of the dumbest most boneheaded things our country has ever done.
    Please explain why.

  10. #10
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Which (if any) of these guns in the classroom policies would you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Please explain why.
    1. It presumes all/most teachers would be capable. Not so, even with training.
    2. It gives potential shooters their first target and/or a source for additional weapons without having to sneak them in themselves. Could be an outsider or even students themselves.
    3. Teaching is very distracting, and it is impossible for a teacher to be aware of everything all at once, thus increasing the possibility of #2 above.
    4. Even without malicious intent, it's not unlikely that a student could somehow come into possession of the weapon and shoot someone.
    5. For all of the above, we'd have more shootings, and probably more deaths overall, albeit maybe fewer large-scale shootings.


    It's just poorly thought out.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •