View Poll Results: should you get gov retirement and SS

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes you deserve both

    30 78.95%
  • No, get only your cushy gov retirement.

    8 21.05%
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 201

Thread: Should retired government workers get SS

  1. #121
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Should retired government workers get SS

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I am not sure what your point is:

    Social Security - Just Facts
    Not sure what that wall of stats is supposed to be saying. I personally know several people who paid in for years and died withot any beneficiaries. Had Vanderbilt not extended my life another few years, I would have as well because my husband is dead and my children are grown. He never drew. But our children got his benefits until they were 18. I went to school and worked. Could have stayed home, I guess, but I felt it was important to get myself into a profession before I was in my 50s.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should retired government workers get SS

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Not nearly as much as requiring ALL gov't retirees to wait until SS benefit age to get their retirement benefits.
    Well, I disagree with the whole SS system.

    It was designed for people that were too financially useless to save up for retirement.

    Now, imo, it's basically a giant, governmental, bureaucratic mess that politician's love because it gives them more power/control over the masses.


    I say abolish it when everyone presently over 35-40 dies.

    And if seniors need help after that, they can go to government run emergency shelters (instead of welfare/SS) or appeal to family/charities.


    They have almost half a century to save up for retirement.

    If that is not enough...too bad.

    (the above does not apply to those with pre-65 physical/mental disabilities)


    It's time healthy Americans grew spines and took responsibility for their own lives...and retirements.
    Last edited by DA60; 03-10-13 at 05:55 PM.

  3. #123
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Should retired government workers get SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    Not sure what that wall of stats is supposed to be saying. I personally know several people who paid in for years and died withot any beneficiaries. Had Vanderbilt not extended my life another few years, I would have as well because my husband is dead and my children are grown. He never drew. But our children got his benefits until they were 18. I went to school and worked. Could have stayed home, I guess, but I felt it was important to get myself into a profession before I was in my 50s.
    That is true of many insurance situations, not all will ever get back as much as they pay in.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #124
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Should retired government workers get SS

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I think if you are getting 70% of your pay for the rest of your life SS should be null and void. You are already getting more than your fair share of tax payer dollars for a job you were overpaid for in the first place.
    He is not getting that. FERS does not pay that much. You get 1% of the average of your your high three salary years times the number of years you have worked. If you have worked over 20 years, I believe it is 1.5%. And that does not add up to 70% of $90,000 even if you worked 30 years.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  5. #125
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Should retired government workers get SS

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That is true of many insurance situations, not all will ever get back as much as they pay in.
    I won't even come close as I will likely not live 3 more years.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should retired government workers get SS

    So let me pose this question in a different way. SS is going broke and adjustments will have to be made. Should their be an across the board equal cut in benefits or should those who get a luxurious gov pension and SS get a bigger benefit cut than those of us who depend exclusively on SS?

    Another thing to remember is these pensions are so ridiculous because of gov unions. This is a perfect example of how they are making America go broke. SS AND a gov union pension and most of you are OK with it. No wonder I live on a mountain side with no freakin neighbors! No wonder I'm stocking up on guns ammo and food, you guys are NUTS
    Last edited by sawyerloggingon; 03-10-13 at 06:56 PM.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should retired government workers get SS

    And one more thing while I'm on a roll here. There are more gov workers being overpaid and getting gold plated benefits and retirement packages every day. This is the biggest Ponzi scheme ever and when it collapses it will make the housing collapse look like child's play. It will destroy our economy and all you retired or soon to be retired gov employees laughing all the way to the bank won't have much to laugh about when your entire retirement check plus your SS check won't buy a loaf of bread. Now I'm off to Wal Mart to buy more ammo that I will need to defend my garden from you dummy's when you can't buy food with the dollars you made worthless.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    02-15-14 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,939

    Re: Should retired government workers get SS

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Well, I disagree with the whole SS system. It was designed for people that were too financially useless to save up for retirement.
    No, it was designed as one brick in a wall attempting to turn back a popular tide sweeping toward socialism and quite possibly communism as the result of the latest and most devastating global collapse of capitalism. It sought to fund a modest income floor for covered workers beneath which none could fall no matter how badly things turned out for them.

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Now, imo, it's basically a giant, governmental, bureaucratic mess that politician's love because it gives them more power/control over the masses.
    It's actually a highly professional and smoothly run operation that gets tens of millions of monthly payments to retired and disabled beneficiaries and to their dependents and survivors. All at low administrative cost.

  9. #129
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Should retired government workers get SS

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    So let me pose this question in a different way. SS is going broke and adjustments will have to be made.
    SS is not going broke
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    02-15-14 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,939

    Re: Should retired government workers get SS

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    So let me pose this question in a different way. SS is going broke...
    No, it isn't. The only question is whether the present system can pay 100% of scheduled benefits for at least 75 years. If you use really, really pessimistic assumptions that have always proved wrong in the past, you can create a scenario where 100% of scheduled benefits can be paid for only about 20 years and then 75% of benefits for all years after that. People who use words like "broke" or "bankrupt" with regard to Social Secuirty don't understand what SS is or how it works.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    ...and adjustments will have to be made.
    Adjustments are an OPTION. If those pessimistic assumptions turn out to be only a little too pessimistic, the Trust Fund will in fact never run out of funds, and 100% of scheduled benefits will always be paid even if we do nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Should their be an across the board equal cut in benefits or should those who get a luxurious gov pension and SS get a bigger benefit cut than those of us who depend exclusively on SS?
    There is already a clawback based on receiving SS plus a federal pension. Other pensions do not result in any such thing, but if your married-filing-jointly income from all sources exceeds $32,000, increasingly large parts of your SS benefits become subject to income tax.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Another thing to remember is these pensions are so ridiculous because of gov unions.
    LOL! Such as they are, federal unions cannot bargain over wages or benefits. Those are all set out in legislation passed by Congress.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •