View Poll Results: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 9.72%
  • No

    65 90.28%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 81

Thread: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

  1. #71
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Context Context Context...
    your statement was open ended, open ended, open ended
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  2. #72
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    No, I don't think life in prison is worse than death, especially if the death involves pain or humiliation. Screw the electric chair or lethal injection. Save taxpayer money, because I'll do the honors as community service.

    If they were innocent and wrongfully convicted, oh well. **** happens. Either you need a better justice system or they've got **** for luck to have enough evidence to wrongfully convict them. Life's decisions should all be based on cost/benefit analysis looking at the likelihood of outcomes. Weigh the risks and consider worst case scenarios. A wrongful death penalty conviction kills at most one innocent person. A convicted murderer who becomes free can kill an arbitrary number of innocent people. Here's a short sample of murderers jailed and then killing again:
    You're simply flat-out wrong, as you are willfully choosing to ignorantly ignore the murderer who never got caught in the cases of wrongful conviction, but you seem to revel in your wrongness, so I'll leave you to it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #73
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    There is a difference between justice and retribution. You're advocating the latter, which is a knee jerk response to anger. Even those who we know are guilty must receive justice because of the others for whom guilt is not so clear cut.

    Allow people to arm themselves so they can protect themselves against criminals. Spend public funds to ensure a speedy and responsive justice system when criminals are apprehended. Have checks and balances to reduce abuses. That is what a civil society must do.
    No, he's right... if it doesn't balance out on a spreadsheet, off with their heads!

    /sarcasm off
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #74
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Absolutely not.

    Of the 4,578 capital judgments finally reviewed on direct appeal, 1,885-or 41%-were overturned based on serious error.
    Columbia University, School of Law - Liebman Study

    Are you ok with killing that many innocent people? Or at the very least, people whose true offense doesn't trigger the death sentence?

    We need to just do away with this barbaric practice all together. The error rate is too high, the cost is too high, and vengeance is not the purpose of the justice system.
    I'm with you on the error rate being too high. I scanned this link, though, and unless I missed it it talked a lot about errors, but not what kind of errors. Even I have to question the 41%, at least in terms of wrongful conviction of people who are factually innocent. I suspect that the 41% includes procedural and/or technical legal errors, which to me isn't the same issue.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #75
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You're simply flat-out wrong, as you are willfully choosing to ignorantly ignore the murderer who never got caught in the cases of wrongful conviction, but you seem to revel in your wrongness, so I'll leave you to it.
    I'll concede that you could have a serial killer repeatedly plant evidence and get innocent people convicted multiple times. However, I again emphasize analysis of the probabilities of events happening. The chances of that happening pales in comparison to the odds of a true killer getting out and killing again. I've provided links to multiple cases to support my side, including many after the significant advances in forensic science. Let's see your evidence that more people are wrongfully convicted of murder over the last 20 years than the number of second chance murders.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  6. #76
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    I'll concede that you could have a serial killer repeatedly plant evidence and get innocent people convicted multiple times. However, I again emphasize analysis of the probabilities of events happening. The chances of that happening pales in comparison to the odds of a true killer getting out and killing again. I've provided links to multiple cases to support my side, including many after the significant advances in forensic science. Let's see your evidence that more people are wrongfully convicted of murder over the last 20 years than the number of second chance murders.
    All you provided were examples of where it can and does happen (which I do not disagree with, and never have), not at what rate/percentage. Your challenge for me to provide percentages and/or rates is a dishonest challenge as 1) it's not the same that you provided, and 2) as these numbers don't exist because nobody takes the time to compile them (according to pretty much everything I have read), for either your point-of-view or mine.

    If you need evidence of the numbers of the wrongfully convicted, the Innocence Project would be a good starting point. As of today, 303 exonerations so far... in a time period far shorter than the list(s) you provided.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #77
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    115

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Three years. Anniversary of sentencing third year, then executed. No delays beyond this. Streamline courts.

  8. #78
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    The way it is now, a person who gets convicted of murder and sentenced to death spends years on death row going through numerous appeals at cost to the state. What if instead we had the gallows, the electric chair, a firing squad, the gas chamber, or the lethal injection chamber standing by for sentencing? If the murderer is sentenced to death, he or she is immediately taken out for execution. Would you support this policy?
    If guilt could be proven beyond any shadow of doubt whatsoever, yes I would support it in those cases.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    murder weapon with prints, dna match, victims blood on the accused clothes or skin.....absolutely

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    04-03-13 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    458

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanWoman76 View Post
    I lost count of how many times a person has been convicted of murder, and then years late, new evidence proved the convicted person was innocent. I can't for the life of me, imagine why anyone would want to kill that many innocent people.
    15.

    And few of them were truly "innocent" -- meaning they still had long criminal records, some violent.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •