View Poll Results: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 9.72%
  • No

    65 90.28%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 81

Thread: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

  1. #41
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Personal protection could be classified as murder..if you have a gun and your robber/mugger was unarmed...
    "Personal protection" implies threat, not quantity and type of weapon, if any. Absence of a gun does not necessarily eliminate said threat.


    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    ...as for jealousy...have you never been jealous?
    I have. It's a childish self-destructive emotion and is no excuse. I absolutely hated the feeling. If it's so bad you want to kill somebody over it, you need serious professional help.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    "Personal protection" implies threat, not quantity and type of weapon, if any. Absence of a gun does not necessarily eliminate said threat.



    I have. It's a childish self-destructive emotion and is no excuse. I absolutely hated the feeling. If it's so bad you want to kill somebody over it, you need serious professional help.

    OK..let's go..

    If you woke up one night and heard someone in your house..you had a gun he did not..you have no idea what weapon he has on him...would you give a chance to a young fit robber..who could probably leap on you and shove your gun up your ass..or would you shoot him??

    Sure jealousy is a childish self-destructive emotion...Doesn't stop you feeling it though..does it??

  3. #43
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    No, capital punishment is barbaric and less cost effective than a life term anyway so it makes no sense. In addition, crime rates are not effected by capital punishment so there's no use for it.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  4. #44
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    OK..let's go..

    If you woke up one night and heard someone in your house..you had a gun he did not..you have no idea what weapon he has on him...would you give a chance to a young fit robber..who could probably leap on you and shove your gun up your ass..or would you shoot him??
    *sigh* You're going to chase this down a rat hole with some example that is so absurdly narrowly-defined that there's no choice but to concede you're right, aren't you? Fine, I give. You're right. You're 'the man'.


    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Sure jealousy is a childish self-destructive emotion...Doesn't stop you feeling it though..does it??
    Are you a mature adult in control of your own actions, or are you not?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post

    Are you a mature adult in control of your own actions, or are you not?
    No..I am prey to human emotions..such as love..hate... jealousy...

    Otherwise..I would be a robot!!!

  6. #46
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    You are plainly no mathematician if you think that bit of rubbish is the pertinent equation.
    Do you let your emotions get in the way of logic?

    Humans each have varying values towards society, including potentially zero or negative. If we restrict our attention to those positive, the value of 1,000 random humans is almost surely greater than the value of 1.

    Although the use of automobiles is going to lead to unintentional deaths, society recognizes that the value of driving outweighs the risks and costs associated. Sentencing to death will do more good than harm over time, especially given the significant improvement in accuracy over time. Putting someone in a cell for decades is not worth the cost to society.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  7. #47
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Do you let your emotions get in the way of logic?

    Humans each have varying values towards society, including potentially zero or negative. If we restrict our attention to those positive, the value of 1,000 random humans is almost surely greater than the value of 1.

    Although the use of automobiles is going to lead to unintentional deaths, society recognizes that the value of driving outweighs the risks and costs associated. Sentencing to death will do more good than harm over time, especially given the significant improvement in accuracy over time. Putting someone in a cell for decades is not worth the cost to society.
    The fatal flaw in your "logic" is in presuming the error stops with the one wrongfully convicted/executed person. There are other considerations, not the least of which include...

    • The family of the innocent person, and how they become a drag on society.
    • Any potential additional victims that the actual perpetrator victimizes because they weren't caught and convicted.


    It's not just an "Oopsie!", it's the first domino of many.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #48
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    I cant give an answer because my answer is maybe


    its 2013 so going on from here id be ok with it in certain cases but never as a blanket solution

    i would NEVER make it retroactive and kill all the people on death row because we have got it wrong to many times back in the day, especially based on racism, classism and power.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #49
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?


  10. #50
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Would you support instant executions upon sentencing for murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The fatal flaw in your "logic" is in presuming the error stops with the one wrongfully convicted/executed person. There are other considerations, not the least of which include...

    • The family of the innocent person, and how they become a drag on society.
    • Any potential additional victims that the actual perpetrator victimizes because they weren't caught and convicted.


    It's not just an "Oopsie!", it's the first domino of many.
    The same applies when a killer serves 15 years, is released and kills again, does it not? They can also get out by escape or twchnicality. Oopsie, we should have put him down the first time we knew he was willing to kill. I'm willing to bet this happens more often today than wrongful murder convictions.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •