Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Should drinking/smoking while pregnant be illegal?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Should drinking/smoking while pregnant be illegal?

    There is no way of enforcing such a law except post-factum. Basically, if a woman drinks and smokes at such a level that it endagers the child, when the child will be born and tests will be made, it will be detectable if the woman behaved irresponsably while she was pregnant, and yes, if she did harm the child through her behavior, she should be prosecuted.

    However, there is no way of making a law that states that it is illegal for women who are pregnant to smoke and drink. I mean, if you make it... you can't possibly enforce it and it will just, most likely, backfire.

    What you can do is create, what we have created, a culture that encourages and applauds women who behave responsibly towards their unborn children and discourages reckless behavior.

    And if we are talking about the society way of dealing with problems, men, when trying to have children with their spouses, should also quit smoking.

  2. #22
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should drinking/smoking while pregnant be illegal?

    If smoking & drinking are *that bad*, shouldn't they be completely illegal for everybody?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #23
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Should drinking/smoking while pregnant be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    If smoking & drinking are *that bad*, shouldn't they be completely illegal for everybody?
    We tried that once, it didn't go well.

    Oddly enough, I could see this argument falling along abortion lines. (Resulting in a reverse of what one might expect on ideologicl lines) Someone who thinks a fetus is a person should think harming that person is illegal. Someone who thinks life begins later would think there's nothing to harm until whatever arbitrary stage of development they see as that changing.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #24
    Advisor Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    07-14-13 @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    342

    Re: Should drinking/smoking while pregnant be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Prevailing culture norms in the United States make either a rare occurrence (only 1/13 women drink while pregnant), but it isn't illegal to do either. Considering the health factors involved, I was going to say 'yes', but it doesn't seem plausible to outlaw either behavior before a state's abortion deadline.
    I hate to see a woman smoke, drink or do anything that is potentially harmful to the child, which in the end could not only result in an unhealthy child, but a big strain on society given that this "wise" mother is on the public tit.

    That being said I would still say no. The government has no business whatsoever telling a women what she can or cannot do, and/or what decisions she can make.

  5. #25
    Advisor Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    07-14-13 @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    342

    Re: Should drinking/smoking while pregnant be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    If smoking & drinking are *that bad*, shouldn't they be completely illegal for everybody?
    These vices have extremely strong correlations with health problems with chronic users, but it should not be illegal. If that were the case, government would be prohibiting certain behaviors, thus we would not be considered free.

  6. #26
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should drinking/smoking while pregnant be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    We tried that once, it didn't go well.

    Oddly enough, I could see this argument falling along abortion lines. (Resulting in a reverse of what one might expect on ideologicl lines) Someone who thinks a fetus is a person should think harming that person is illegal. Someone who thinks life begins later would think there's nothing to harm until whatever arbitrary stage of development they see as that changing.
    I know. Was part of my point, actually. These grand ideas always sound good, until put into practice.

    I see a whole inconsistency regarding abortion being... no, wait, I don't want to derail the thread. What I was about to say is going off on a tangent and not germane to the topic.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #27
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should drinking/smoking while pregnant be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    These vices have extremely strong correlations with health problems with chronic users, but it should not be illegal. If that were the case, government would be prohibiting certain behaviors, thus we would not be considered free.
    They would never do that.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •