View Poll Results: Would you go, or take family, to a doctor that you knew regularly smoked marijuana?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    35 38.04%
  • No

    33 35.87%
  • Maybe

    24 26.09%
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 165

Thread: Would you go, or take family, to a doctor that you knew regularly smoked marijuana?

  1. #101
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Would you go, or take family, to a doctor that you knew regularly smoked marijuan

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Pot, alcohol, and a list of chemicals a mile long are considered to be "MIND ALTERING" chemicals. I would associate "mind altering" with "impaired judgment"...and the degree will vary from person to person.

    At some point in time during the course of a day...I was usually hung over while high on pot...or another chemical or two...so I can't answer that for most people.

    Being high...and being hung over....I don't see them as a compatible comparison, although I'm sure that each carry a risk of some kind.
    Many prescription medications can affect mood and behavior, and therefore judgment as well. Caffeine, St. John's Wart, other herbs and vitamins, sinus medications OTC...tons of legal and easily accessible consumables that would not make most patients bat an eye....solely because there is no stigma attached to their use (other than maybe being a dirty hippy in the case of St. John's Wart).
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  2. #102
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Would you go, or take family, to a doctor that you knew regularly smoked marijuan

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Almost everybody breaks at least 1 law everyday...knowingly.

    Speeding.
    Improper use of seat belts.
    Not signalling appropriately.
    Going a day or two over on registration/inspection.
    Downloading a song online.
    Downloading a discography, even!
    Not picking up the dog's poo 'cause it was kind of runny and it's raining.
    etc., etc., etc.

    Nobody is a moral absolute. Why do we hold a doctor to a higher standard than a cashier? Perhaps the issue of judgment is too broadly applied here. Why should we be concerned about their judgment in terms of our care based upon the fact that they break a law, particularly when the breaking of that law does not intentionally or willfully cause harm to another (as opposed to say, a doctor that rapes women in his spare time)?
    Well by this standard then, I shouldn't be too concerned if I saw my doc apparently driving drunk because any harm that could potentially be done would not be done intentionally or willfully.

  3. #103
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Would you go, or take family, to a doctor that you knew regularly smoked marijuan

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Many prescription medications can affect mood and behavior, and therefore judgment as well. Caffeine, St. John's Wart, other herbs and vitamins, sinus medications OTC...tons of legal and easily accessible consumables that would not make most patients bat an eye....solely because there is no stigma attached to their use (other than maybe being a dirty hippy in the case of St. John's Wart).
    So marijuana is no different than having a couple cups of coffee in the morning?

  4. #104
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Would you go, or take family, to a doctor that you knew regularly smoked marijuan

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So marijuana is no different than having a couple cups of coffee in the morning?
    Hardly...I don't think anybody's implied that. High is high...not related in the sense of being stimulated as with caffeine.

  5. #105
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Would you go, or take family, to a doctor that you knew regularly smoked marijuan

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    maybe. It depends on how I knew. If I knew him personally and knew he smoked that way, sure, I would go and let my family too. If I had an appointment and he came in smelling like he was just out in the car burning one, then no, absolutely not. Exactly the same way I feel about alcohol.
    yes this

    all things being equal if he conducted himself like a doctor during my visits why not? I cant really think of any logical reason to disqualify him simply based on smoking weed.

    I agree its just like drinking, as long as his medical decisions are mad on sober professional time im fine with it.

    On a side note i bet people would be surprised by how many doctors get high.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #106
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Would you go, or take family, to a doctor that you knew regularly smoked marijuan

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well by this standard then, I shouldn't be too concerned if I saw my doc apparently driving drunk because any harm that could potentially be done would not be done intentionally or willfully.
    On the contrary, driving under the influence is known to be dangerous. Just as working under the influence is. But we're not talking about public interaction while inebriated. Your point was made on the context of breaking the law merely by smoking pot. That action is not inherently or knowingly dangerous to ANYBODY else, just like the simply action of drinking alcohol is not inherently or knowingly dangerous to ANYBODY else. Only when you add some other action into the equation does the original action become dangerous.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  7. #107
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Would you go, or take family, to a doctor that you knew regularly smoked marijuan

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So marijuana is no different than having a couple cups of coffee in the morning?
    It's completely different. Caffeine is a stimulant, marijuana is not. But both of them do have mind-altering affects on the user, yes.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  8. #108
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Would you go, or take family, to a doctor that you knew regularly smoked marijuan

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Simple question. I ask because I'm curious just how confident y'all would be in a Doc who you knew was a regular pot-smoker.

    Choices will be yes, no and maybe. Need a sec to get the poll up (that sounds bad).
    Depends on how good of a doctor they were. Them smoking weed would not be a factor for me. Though I might avoid them because if I knew they smoked weed, and I didn't know them outside of the doctors office I would be suspect of them being able to separate their work with their personal life.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #109
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,577

    Re: Would you go, or take family, to a doctor that you knew regularly smoked marijuan

    Nope. Not a chance in hell. I smoked alot of pot when I was a kid, and I know how it alters how you think, act, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  10. #110
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Would you go, or take family, to a doctor that you knew regularly smoked marijuan

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    It's completely different. Caffeine is a stimulant, marijuana is not. But both of them do have mind-altering affects on the user, yes.
    Yes...indeedy. But let's be realistic in this debate (Tess, not imply you aren't being). This is a reply more to X's comment. But I wanted to include your response...because it is very relevant.

    Some mind altering chemicals alter the mind in different ways...and at varying levels for different people. Not all people are effected in the same way.

    Pot, hash, etc, etc, etc all the way to acid can produce mind distortion effects (tunnel vision to hallucination experiences) that impairs reality in some capacity.

    When your reality is impaired or effected to whatever degree...there is a very high chance that one's judgment is also impaired.

    Doing meth...can create a severe sense of paranoia, which can impair judgement...because paranoia is an altered sense of reality.

    Okay, Tess...back to you. Hope you don't mind me using your comments as a stepping stone.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •