View Poll Results: Should We Always Support the Troops

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 63.16%
  • No

    21 36.84%
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 215

Thread: Should We Always Support the Troops?

  1. #161
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should We Always Support the Troops?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    It is a misnomer to say you support the troops and not the war? Do you wish for the troops to be defeated? To Die?
    Or just for the troops to be withdrawn. It is entirely possible to oppose a war and support the troops.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #162
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should We Always Support the Troops?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Despite what they do? Even if they are in unjust wars? Even if they are committing massacres?
    No, you should not. However, it depends on what you consider supporting the troops. Many consider it throwing a yellow ribbon on their bumper and forgetting about us. Many consider it to be the gov't continually voting to bloat the DOD's budget to astronomical levels. Many consider it to be mailing cookies and care packages to us in country <-awesome. However, if you really want to support us, stop voting war mongers into office. Stop voting guys in that will send us off as political fodder to a some third world trash can to "nation build".

    Do we fight in unjust wars? Yeah, we are now. Not my fault either. If you want a military that can pick and choose what wars it fights, then you'll have anarchy. We can't pick and choose the venue and cause for the wars we fight. It's not civilized. However, we can depend upon the people who "support" us to recognize the unjust war and stop voting for the people who send us to them.

    Do we massacre people? No, it has not happened in these wars minus the one wierdo who recently killed a bunch of Afghanis. If it did, no, you shouldn't support it.

    The bigger point to make is instead of pointing the finger at us for starting to get a little sloppy in the PR campaign aka Operation Enduring and the recently ended Iraqi Freedom, how about looking in the mirror. Who have you voted for? What have you done to prevent me from being there to begin with? If you voted Pres W Bush, you voted for war in 2004. If you voted Pres Obama in 2012, you voted war as well. If you voted McCain or Romney, you voted war. So instead of saying "Hey, don't pee on that corpse!" you should say to yourself "Hey, don't vote for that neo-con/lib!"

    If any of the above isn't a big voting issue for you, that's fine. This is America after all. You can vote for what you want. However, if this isn't a voting issue for you, it shouldn't be a debating issue either. You're a part of the problem and a hypocrite IMO.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  3. #163
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Should We Always Support the Troops?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    No, you should not. However, it depends on what you consider supporting the troops. Many consider it throwing a yellow ribbon on their bumper and forgetting about us. Many consider it to be the gov't continually voting to bloat the DOD's budget to astronomical levels. Many consider it to be mailing cookies and care packages to us in country <-awesome. However, if you really want to support us, stop voting war mongers into office. Stop voting guys in that will send us off as political fodder to a some third world trash can to "nation build".

    Do we fight in unjust wars? Yeah, we are now. Not my fault either. If you want a military that can pick and choose what wars it fights, then you'll have anarchy. We can't pick and choose the venue and cause for the wars we fight. It's not civilized. However, we can depend upon the people who "support" us to recognize the unjust war and stop voting for the people who send us to them.

    Do we massacre people? No, it has not happened in these wars minus the one wierdo who recently killed a bunch of Afghanis. If it did, no, you shouldn't support it.

    The bigger point to make is instead of pointing the finger at us for starting to get a little sloppy in the PR campaign aka Operation Enduring and the recently ended Iraqi Freedom, how about looking in the mirror. Who have you voted for? What have you done to prevent me from being there to begin with? If you voted Pres W Bush, you voted for war in 2004. If you voted Pres Obama in 2012, you voted war as well. If you voted McCain or Romney, you voted war. So instead of saying "Hey, don't pee on that corpse!" you should say to yourself "Hey, don't vote for that neo-con/lib!"

    If any of the above isn't a big voting issue for you, that's fine. This is America after all. You can vote for what you want. However, if this isn't a voting issue for you, it shouldn't be a debating issue either. You're a part of the problem and a hypocrite IMO.
    I disagree completely. I believe both wars were completely just and in line with our morals and ideals. Not to mention, we were the reason thouse countries were bass ackwards and ruled by maniacal dictators. After the fall of the USSR we had no reason to support these dictators any longer, and it was our moral duty to free these people from the rulers we put over them in order to prevent a nuclear war that would have killed billions of people.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Should We Always Support the Troops?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Despite what they do? Even if they are in unjust wars? Even if they are committing massacres?
    It all depends which troops your referring too.

    During the Vietnam war just about everyone was supporting the troops. The problem was many on the left were supporting the troops who were killing American troops who were on the battlegrounds of Vietnam.

  5. #165
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Should We Always Support the Troops?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Or just for the troops to be withdrawn. It is entirely possible to oppose a war and support the troops.
    No its not possible. As I mentioned before, all military members volunteer their service. So they believe in the causes they are sent off to war for. If you don't support the war, you can't possibly support the troops.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  6. #166
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should We Always Support the Troops?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    No its not possible. As I mentioned before, all military members volunteer their service. So they believe in the causes they are sent off to war for. If you don't support the war, you can't possibly support the troops.

    Bull****. I was at the time opposed to the war I fought in. I did my duty, because that was my sworn duty. That did not mean just because I volunteered I automatically supported the war. Nor does it mean that those opposed somehow did not support us.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #167
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Should We Always Support the Troops?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Bull****. I was at the time opposed to the war I fought in. I did my duty, because that was my sworn duty. That did not mean just because I volunteered I automatically supported the war. Nor does it mean that those opposed somehow did not support us.
    Thats just simply ignorance then. Why would you fight in a war you opposed?
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  8. #168
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should We Always Support the Troops?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Thats just simply ignorance then. Why would you fight in a war you opposed?
    Because he had made a promise, and he has honor. What in the hell would you have done? Gone AWOL because you didn't agree with the war??? Changed your opinion to conform with your orders??? With the first you would not be true to your promise. With the second you would not be true to yourself. Unbelievable that you would call his view the ignorant one, quite frankly.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  9. #169
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Should We Always Support the Troops?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Because he had made a promise, and he has honor. What in the hell would you have done? Gone AWOL because you didn't agree with the war??? Changed your opinion to conform with your orders??? With the first you would not be true to your promise. With the second you would not be true to yourself. Unbelievable that you would call his view the ignorant one, quite frankly.
    There are a lot of things you can do, you can file for conscious objector status. That being said, none of the conflicts we have been involved in over the past two decades are of any surprise. We knew we were going to come into conflict with them, it was just a matter of when. Anyone who was not totally ignorant of what was going on in the last 2 decades knew were were going to be in Iraq and Afghanistan. Anyone who was in prior to that had to have re-enlisted to be in during the conflict. enlistments are only for 4-6 years, and in some cases as little as 2 years. So if you joined in the last 20 years, you knew this was coming or was happening. And you re-enlisted and supported the effort. The only people I may actually loathe more than the anti-war folks are people in the military that say they don't support the war. That is complete ignorance. BECAUSE YOU ARE SUPPORTING THE WAR directly or indirectly. It would be like working at a car engine factory and saying you don't support car ownership.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  10. #170
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should We Always Support the Troops?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Thats just simply ignorance then. Why would you fight in a war you opposed?
    Because I swore an oath. That means something to me.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •