View Poll Results: Should gas prices reflect the cost of military action in the middle east?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, there should be a tax that pays for military action to secure oil in the middle east.

    5 38.46%
  • No

    8 61.54%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Should gas prices reflect the cost of war in the middle east?

  1. #11
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,434

    Re: Should gas prices reflect the cost of war in the middle east?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slateriesling View Post
    I agree, if you don't know then it must be oil.
    I'm fully aware. I'm not your teacher and am under no obligation to teach you 5th grade international relations and history.

  2. #12
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    03-07-16 @ 06:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    344
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should gas prices reflect the cost of war in the middle east?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The commodity that our military protects is our basic freedom. Defense is a basic federal Constitutional power. I agree that our defense budget is bloated yet adding taxation to support ANY gov't waste insane. Perhaps we should first cut those federal expenses not backed up by ANY Constititutional federal power at all, like education and income redistribution via some 70+ income based federal social programs.
    I know from seeing your posts ttwtt that you are not that bad about this. Stay on topic. I was not trying to bring in education, and all the other issues in American politics. I just wanted a conversation about the issue of paying for the military to prop up the oil industry without allowing the price of gas to reflect this cost to the tax paying public.

    Perhaps the oil companies should hire their own army and fight for stable oil sources. Leave the US military out of it. How expensive would oil, and therefore the pump price of gas, be if that were the condition.

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,121

    Re: Should gas prices reflect the cost of war in the middle east?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slateriesling View Post
    The US has engaged in several military conflicts in the middle east to stablilize oil production. The reasons for the conflicts in this region are disruptions to the world wide energy needs and the US has decided to dedicate a large amount of money and lives to the protection of these sources of oil.

    Should the cost of gas at the pump more directly reflect this burden that the American tax payer is taking? Meaning, should there be a greater tax on gasoline to offset the costs of these military actions?

    I know that some would like to argue about the reasons for these military actions, but I find it rather ridiculous to do so. If America is fighting in the middle east for the good of democracy, why would they ignore so many places that do not have oil but have humanitarian needs that are at least as urgent as they are in this region?
    i'm all for completely replacing the oil-based transportation energy model, but not through regressive gas taxes that hit the poor the hardest.

  4. #14
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    03-07-16 @ 06:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    344
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should gas prices reflect the cost of war in the middle east?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i'm all for completely replacing the oil-based transportation energy model, but not through regressive gas taxes that hit the poor the hardest.
    Trust me, I am no more happy about the fact that the poor would be hit by this concept than anybody. But I keep thinking about the idea that a given product should reflect its actual cost to all of us. I keep thinking that the oil industry benefits from the military in the sence that they secure the source. Yet, when we get to the pump we don't see that cost. It is moved to our income tax and all the other taxes that pay for it.

    I know perfectly well what burden a higher tax on gas would put. My thought is, with gas reflecting its real cost at the pump, other taxes that now pay for the military could be cut and we would all have a better knowledge of what our gas is costing us and we could all make a more informed decision about our priorities as it relates to energy use.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Should gas prices reflect the cost of war in the middle east?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slateriesling View Post
    Why are we fighting there?
    Maybe it had something to do with terrorist attacking our country directly which pissed us off. We decided to take out terrorist sponsors and had to prioritize. Afghanistan first, they backed Al Queda and wouldn't turn them over. BTW, Afghanistan is not a big oil producer. Heroin (or is it opium? I get confused which comes from poppies), yes, oil, no.

    Iraq was next. There are various reasons for this. While not supporters of Al Queda, that I know of, they did in the past sponsor terrorism against our interests and our allies. We already had many of our military assets tied up there and couldn't free them for other uses until we finished it. I concede that wanting to finish off what his father started may have played a role in Iraq getting higher priority than say Iran, which is the bigger threat. However, the fact that Iraq was already using up a lot of assets that may be needed elsewhere probably played a bigger role in the choice.

    If it was only about oil, then taking out Iran would of made more sense than Iraq.

    Unfortunately, we found out that our forces are ill equipped and trained for the purpose of occupation. Our politicians didn't have any concept of what occupation would actually incur. Things got even more screwed up when we decided to invite NATO in to help rebuild. Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya and others have all sponsored terrorism against us, our forces, our interests and our allies. Whether they supported just Al Queda or not was immaterial to the "War on Terrorism", it was targeted at everyone who sponsors terrorist groups and activities.

    So, we are not there because of oil, at least not that alone. The real question would be why so many middle-eastern countries sponsor terrorism.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should gas prices reflect the cost of war in the middle east?

    I went over there and brought home 4 barrels of oil myself. Your welcome.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  7. #17
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    03-07-16 @ 06:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    344
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should gas prices reflect the cost of war in the middle east?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    So, we are not there because of oil, at least not that alone. The real question would be why so many middle-eastern countries sponsor terrorism.
    Thank you for actually addressing the issues. It appears that you recognize that there is an oil source issue to this.

    I admit, the Islam issue is disturbing. How to deal with a bunch of poor, misguided people is difficult. But we are not dealing with that. It seems to me that the current strategy is to secure the oil and then let the "military industrial complex" benefit from a never ending "war on terrorism."

    Kill em all or don't. Stop the unending bull**** effort to avert some unending threat.

    Frankly you have caused me to bring out my true feelings about the middle east. S**t or get off the pot.

  8. #18
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,692
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Should gas prices reflect the cost of war in the middle east?

    Gas prices should reflect market value.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,121

    Re: Should gas prices reflect the cost of war in the middle east?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slateriesling View Post
    Trust me, I am no more happy about the fact that the poor would be hit by this concept than anybody. But I keep thinking about the idea that a given product should reflect its actual cost to all of us. I keep thinking that the oil industry benefits from the military in the sence that they secure the source. Yet, when we get to the pump we don't see that cost. It is moved to our income tax and all the other taxes that pay for it.

    I know perfectly well what burden a higher tax on gas would put. My thought is, with gas reflecting its real cost at the pump, other taxes that now pay for the military could be cut and we would all have a better knowledge of what our gas is costing us and we could all make a more informed decision about our priorities as it relates to energy use.
    we'd do much better spending money on developing the next energy model than on punitive taxes to support the current one. eventually, everyone is going to have to face the fact that we can't afford to be the global military force. we should keep a defensive peacetime military, and start nation building here. oil is already such a drag on the economy that artificially raising its price might be a tipping point. add in demand-side austerity, and it's game over for a generation or more. if that's the case, we certainly won't be able to do what we need to do to prepare for a transition from oil.

  10. #20
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    03-07-16 @ 06:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    344
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should gas prices reflect the cost of war in the middle east?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    we'd do much better spending money on developing the next energy model than on punitive taxes to support the current one. eventually, everyone is going to have to face the fact that we can't afford to be the global military force. we should keep a defensive peacetime military, and start nation building here. oil is already such a drag on the economy that artificially raising its price might be a tipping point. add in demand-side austerity, and it's game over for a generation or more. if that's the case, we certainly won't be able to do what we need to do to prepare for a transition from oil.
    Don't you think that a "punitive tax", although I don't see it that way, would create more insentive to develop alternative sources of energy than the ones that require military intervention to secure.

    I don't want a punitive tax. I am looking to have oil reflect the real cost to the consumer, rather than try to drive us to alternative sources through punishing use of the best current source of energy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •