View Poll Results: Does the threat trump free speech?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, arrest him

    26 74.29%
  • no, it's free speech.

    5 14.29%
  • other

    0 0%
  • Not sure

    4 11.43%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 125

Thread: Threatning the potus

  1. #31
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ft.Wayne In
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,305

    Re: Threatning the potus

    IMO I don't see the problem of someone threatening a politician on the internet.

    I wouldn't do it myself but some people get frustrated and act out in anonominity(sp)?

    I feel as though a person who was actually going to do harm would not advertise it.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Threatning the potus

    Quote Originally Posted by penn1954 View Post
    IMO I don't see the problem of someone threatening a politician on the internet.

    I wouldn't do it myself but some people get frustrated and act out in anonominity(sp)?

    I feel as though a person who was actually going to do harm would not advertise it.
    Unabomber did.

  3. #33
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: Threatning the potus

    it is a waste of time and resources. The claim is it costs $100 million a year to protect the POTUS and an additional $3 million per family member there after. If that isn't enough to keep him safe from VIABLE threats than he might as well just hail a cab wherever he needs to go and save us all a ton of money.

    The arrest and harrassment of individuals blowing off steam by making hyperbolic declarations only shows how petty and small the office is.

    Grow a pair Mr. "World's Most Powerful Man". You ain't royalty.

    (This goes for them all not just Obama)

  4. #34
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,936

    Re: Threatning the potus

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    it is a waste of time and resources. The claim is it costs $100 million a year to protect the POTUS and an additional $3 million per family member there after. If that isn't enough to keep him safe from VIABLE threats than he might as well just hail a cab wherever he needs to go and save us all a ton of money.

    The arrest and harrassment of individuals blowing off steam by making hyperbolic declarations only shows how petty and small the office is.

    Grow a pair Mr. "World's Most Powerful Man". You ain't royalty.

    (This goes for them all not just Obama)
    What a perfectly rational post.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Threatning the potus

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    it is a waste of time and resources. The claim is it costs $100 million a year to protect the POTUS and an additional $3 million per family member there after. If that isn't enough to keep him safe from VIABLE threats than he might as well just hail a cab wherever he needs to go and save us all a ton of money.

    The arrest and harrassment of individuals blowing off steam by making hyperbolic declarations only shows how petty and small the office is.

    Grow a pair Mr. "World's Most Powerful Man". You ain't royalty.

    (This goes for them all not just Obama)
    The assassination of John and Bobby Kenndy changed this country for the worse. We wound up with that moonbat, Nixon.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Threatning the potus

    Meh.....he should have just accepted for kickin him in the azz!

    Than at least he could have made the headlines as the man arrested for threatening to give the POTUS a good swift kick in the azz.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Threatning the potus

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Man is arrested for posting threats against the president on facebook.

    Man arrested for making Facebook threat to Obama - Video on NBCNews.com
    In this case, I have to vote "not sure" as no context for the statement was given. If I saw the whole post from FB, then I maybe could judge it.

    Making a threat should trump free speech. Whether it is a threat or not depends a lot on context. For example, the article says he stated he "wants to", does say not say he intends to, so the threat is not very clear. I want to own a Lamborghini, does that mean I am going to go out and buy one? No, I don't have the means. To me, at least, expressing a desire is not a threat to carry out that desire.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Threatning the potus

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Not all speech is free speech. If this douche didn't know that, maybe he deserves 3 hots and a cot for a few months to help him sort some stuff out.

    Having said that, I don't blame him. I'll never say "I'm going to shoot Obama", but I'd wholeheartedly support anyone who said they would.

    I'd even buy the ammo.
    I wouldn't. Biden would be in the WH then, God, now that is a scary thought.

    While I can agree with the sentiment and certainly would not mourn BO's passing, no way could I support moving Biden up.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Threatning the potus

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    In this case, I have to vote "not sure" as no context for the statement was given. If I saw the whole post from FB, then I maybe could judge it.

    Making a threat should trump free speech. Whether it is a threat or not depends a lot on context. For example, the article says he stated he "wants to", does say not say he intends to, so the threat is not very clear. I want to own a Lamborghini, does that mean I am going to go out and buy one? No, I don't have the means. To me, at least, expressing a desire is not a threat to carry out that desire.
    I will say that "intent" has a lot to do with it.

    However people should not overburden the secret service by making stupid statements.

  10. #40
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,069

    Re: Threatning the potus

    No excuse for this for two reasons:

    1. It's illegal, and it should be. You don't get to organize (implicitly or otherwise) assassinations of publicly elected officials.

    2. It's stupid. Talk about a high-visibility crime, and you skyline yourself? If you are going to commit murder, you don't post it on your daggum facebook three days beforehand. You keep it a secret and the way to do that is tell nobody.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •