View Poll Results: Are These Banks The New "WELFARE QUEENS?"

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    15 83.33%
  • NO

    2 11.11%
  • The POOR are the "WELFARE QUEENS."

    0 0%
  • BIG ENERGY is the "WELFARE QUEEN."

    9 50.00%
  • BIG PHARMA is the "WELFARE QUEEN."

    9 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50

Thread: "Too Big To Fail" "Welfare Queens"

  1. #31
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: "Too Big To Fail" "Welfare Queens"

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Which is part of the reason why I think welfare is intentionally designed to create and perpetuate dependence upon the government. The problem you mention could be easily overcome by creating a program that turns welfare recipients (largely high school drop-outs or (occasionally) graduates/GED earners w/no college education or marketable skills) into highly-skilled potential workers for in-demand fields....or a program that doesn't perpetually reward you for having children you can't afford by increasing benefits each time you pop one out.
    It is. Specifically designed to entrap people thus enslaving them to the government. That way they don't try to buck the trend when government gets out of hand. I wouldn't necessarily completely nix programs like welfare; but there's no such thing as a free lunch. So as long as you're going to be living off the taxpayer's dime; you're gonna be doing a significant amount of community service.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #32
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: "Too Big To Fail" "Welfare Queens"

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I'm ok with that position. The problem is...it's not happening nor will it happen as log as politicians continue to excuse, justify, and ultimately, exploit.
    You've got to follow the money trail and the name of the game is "get the money". The corporations are simply better at it. They're sitting on $32 trillion of cash in offshore accounts alone, that's not including domestic cash or assets. It's twice the size of the Natl Debt. All they'd have to do is reinfuse a fraction of that cash back into society in the form of more and higher paying jobs, so the middle would grow again and spend. Not only would that create growth but they would get a huge dividend for their investment in the form of profits and increased production.

    The economy is like a machine that runs on fuel and the fuel is money. If it doesn't get recirculated the machine runs out and crashes. That's what's happening because everybody is blinded by greedy self interest from the bottom up, though the up has more control of the situation. The gov are suppose to be the umpires but they've become a bunch of corrupted kooks who can't see past their own hubris.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  3. #33
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    "Too Big To Fail" "Welfare Queens"

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    You've got to follow the money trail and the name of the game is "get the money". The corporations are simply better at it. They're sitting on $32 trillion of cash in offshore accounts alone, that's not including domestic cash or assets. It's twice the size of the Natl Debt. All they'd have to do is reinfuse a fraction of that cash back into society in the form of more and higher paying jobs, so the middle would grow again and spend. Not only would that create growth but they would get a huge dividend for their investment in the form of profits and increased production.

    The economy is like a machine that runs on fuel and the fuel is money. If it doesn't get recirculated the machine runs out and crashes. That's what's happening because everybody is blinded by greedy self interest from the bottom up, though the up has more control of the situation.
    Corporations know how to play the game with politicians. That won't change. The poor are seen as a valuable voting bloc. There is no investment in changing that either. Which means....a continuation of status quo as long as voters keep putting the same people in DC.

  4. #34
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: "Too Big To Fail" "Welfare Queens"

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Really well stated, but what can we do about it? I, personally, feel helpless. If it weren't for the discussion boards, I'd feel completely screwed, but at least here we can inform, educate, whatever and Ol' Don Quixote gets his due. I think all our terrorism is internal and just used to subsidize the greatest Welfare Queen of all, the Military Offense Industry, in all its' many manifestations. Since 9-11, all the terrorists in the Big Media look like they were encouraged, setup, perhaps even, victimized by the FBI. The FBI's specialty seems to be arranging big media events like Meth labs where the FBI supplied the equipment and formulas and organized the bust as the first batch is finished to the tune of maximum TV cameras, or terrorists that some FBI informer encouraged groups by suggesting they could get them bombs, missiles, etc., and again big TV cameras for maximum exposure. Seems like entrapment to me, but what the hell do I know?
    I feel like nothing will ever substantially change as long as the re-election rate of Senators and Representatives is over 90%.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #35
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: "Too Big To Fail" "Welfare Queens"

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Which is part of the reason why I think welfare is intentionally designed to create and perpetuate dependence upon the government. The problem you mention could be easily overcome by creating a program that turns welfare recipients (largely high school drop-outs or (occasionally) graduates/GED earners w/no college education or marketable skills) into highly-skilled potential workers for in-demand fields....or a program that doesn't perpetually reward you for having children you can't afford by increasing benefits each time you pop one out.
    "Intentional design" is a strong word. America's welfare system was designed to be non-intrusive because (1) government intrusiveness is uniquely unpopular in the United States and (2) it is assumed the "Protestant work ethic" powers American labor, compelling everyone to become self-sufficient and off welfare as soon as possible. While it is easy for politicians and lower incomes to work in collusion to exploit the system, it certainly was not designed to work that way.

    Fact is, the death of the "Protestant work ethic "relates to the general loss of opportunity due to globalism. There is no opportunity, and where there is opportunity, it is so shallow there is basically no benefit to pursuing it. Our education system (1) does not outfit the lower income brackets to be able to participate in the new economy and (2) it is probably impossible to outfit them anyway.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  6. #36
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: "Too Big To Fail" "Welfare Queens"

    Yes.
    Corporations and big banks have always been the welfare queens.


  7. #37
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: "Too Big To Fail" "Welfare Queens"

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    "Intentional design" is a strong word. America's welfare system was designed to be non-intrusive because (1) government intrusiveness is uniquely unpopular in the United States and (2) it is assumed the "Protestant work ethic" powers American labor, compelling everyone to become self-sufficient and off welfare as soon as possible. While it is easy for politicians and lower incomes to work in collusion to exploit the system, it certainly was not designed to work that way.

    Fact is, the death of the "Protestant work ethic "relates to the general loss of opportunity due to globalism. There is no opportunity, and where there is opportunity, it is so shallow there is basically no benefit to pursuing it. Our education system (1) does not outfit the lower income brackets to be able to participate in the new economy and (2) it is probably impossible to outfit them anyway.
    To say "there is no opportunity" is extremely hyperbolic.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  8. #38
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: "Too Big To Fail" "Welfare Queens"

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    To say "there is no opportunity" is extremely hyperbolic.
    There is an average of three million jobs available (most of them incapable of supporting middle class living standards) and upwards fifty million unemployed. And the latter number is based on a working population that is already smaller than a economic superpower should support. The lack of opportunity is pretty straightforward in that context.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 02-27-13 at 08:29 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  9. #39
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: "Too Big To Fail" "Welfare Queens"

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    There is an average of three million jobs available (most of them incapable of supporting middle class living standards) and upwards fifty million unemployed. And the latter number is based on a working population that is already smaller than a economic superpower should support. The lack of opportunity is pretty straightforward in that context.
    You realize 50 million people would equate to 16% unemployment. I assume you argue against the BLS numbers that cite unemployment at 7.8%? Or is using total unemployment (under-employed/given up/expired benefits) just convenient to the argument you're making right now?

    Regardless of that, training the under-educated and under-skilled in areas of high demand wouldn't subject them to the same difficulties in finding employment that they experienced while still under-educated and under-employed. We lack available workers in many technical fields...fields with would only require 2-3 years of training (at max) in almost any trade school/community college program.

    My solution is feasible. Your hyperbole is dishonest.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  10. #40
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: "Too Big To Fail" "Welfare Queens"

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    You realize 50 million people would equate to 16% unemployment. I assume you argue against the BLS numbers that cite unemployment at 7.8%? Or is using total unemployment (under-employed/given up/expired benefits) just convenient to the argument you're making right now?

    Regardless of that, training the under-educated and under-skilled in areas of high demand wouldn't subject them to the same difficulties in finding employment that they experienced while still under-educated and under-employed. We lack available workers in many technical fields...fields with would only require 2-3 years of training (at max) in almost any trade school/community college program.

    My solution is feasible. Your hyperbole is dishonest.
    This does make it higher than the official numbers, certainly, but exactly how high nobody really knows.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •