View Poll Results: Have Americans become greedy little spoiled scum bags.

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    22 50.00%
  • no

    22 50.00%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 105

Thread: America land of the glutinous

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So a BLS website with statistics for agriculture labor has absolutely nothing to do with farm labor? Really?

    You're stretching.....
    Agriculture fishing and forestry includes high skill high pay jobs like logging and commercial fishing and foresters, you are the one stretching. Show me some farm labor stats.

  2. #82
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Agriculture fishing and forestry includes high skill high pay jobs like logging and commercial fishing and foresters, you are the one stretching. Show me some farm labor stats.
    Agriculture includes farm labor.

    Agriculture, also called farming or husbandry, is the cultivation of animals, plants, fungi, and other life forms for food, fiber, biofuel and other products used to sustain human life.[1] Agriculture was the key development in the rise of sedentary human civilization, whereby farming of domesticated species created food surpluses that nurtured the development of civilization. The study of agriculture is known as agricultural science. Agriculture generally speaking refers to human activities, although it is also observed in certain species of ant and termite.[2][3] The word agriculture is the English adaptation of Latin agricultūra, from ager, "a field",[4] and cultūra, "cultivation" in the strict sense of "tillage of the soil".[5] Thus, a literal reading of the word yields "tillage of fields".
    Link

    You really need to stop before you dig yourself further in.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Agriculture includes farm labor.



    Link

    You really need to stop before you dig yourself further in.
    All I am asking for is a pure farm labor stat without lumping in logging, commercial fishing, forestry etc. You have all day to look becuse I am off to do some "logging" as in not farm labor. Good luck.

  4. #84
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    I voted 'no". American have been greedy little spoiled scumbags for at least a century now.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #85
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    When I was a kid in the 50s everyone except movie stars and Randolph Hearst lived in modest homes, drove modest cars and took modest vacations. Mom and dad loaded all 4 of us kids in the station wagon with the 16 ft Terry behind us and we went camping. Now you see people in 200K motor homes "camping". Houses are now huge and having a maid to clean it and a gardener to mow the lawn is common. Kids wear $200.00 tennis shoes, I wore PF Fliers. I could go on and on and give example after example but I think you get the point. IMO opinion Americans have become greedy, spoiled,voracious, rapacious consumers and I get sick of hearing people whine about not having enough. We have developed an entitlement mentality, "I am an American and I deserve to have everything I want". Makes me sick.
    There you go again, comparing apples to oranges to make the typical 'angry old man' rant.

    We were not movie star rich by any means but we had a maid come in twice a week to help with the house. Us kids were paid to mow,weed, paint and work as adults for the family.

    Now let's look at your PF flyers and the 200 dollah sneakers. In 1950 dollars the 200 dollar sneakers would be priced at 24 bucks! Not quite rant worthy...

    Our 3.60 gas would be 43 cents. A $160,000 dollar house would run $19,207.68. A $24,000 SUV would be $2,881.15

    Even if we leave out how more complex and safe a modern SUV is compared to a 1950's station wagon it still is a bargain.

    Unless you paid cash on the barrel head you had a very limited ability to purchase the more pricey goods. Credit, as we know it, was just beginning to be a gleam in the financial sector's eye.

    Course we could go back to log cabins and horses...

    I recall someone else making a similar dismissal of our citizens, saying we were lazy, decadent, selfish- capable of producing only jazz, nylons and razor blades (at the time all considered very decadent)

    Wonder what happened to him?

  6. #86
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,581

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Unfortunately our last election proves there is a slight majority in this country that thinks they are owed something simply because they are Americans. They seem to believe that obama's plans for redistribution of wealth are laudable and are basically voting themselves money. It's all downhill from here.
    Like I said, you don't know anybody like the people who "seem to believe that Obama's plans for redistribution of wealth are laudable and are basically voting themselves money" yet you believe that more than half the country is just like that? If you don't know them, where are they? And if you think these horrible, self-obsessed leaches are all over the place, go try to find some. Are you talking about the people at homeless shelters hoping to have a meal on any given night? If so, how could you possible say those people are spoiled when they are incredibly poor?

    And I agree that people vote themselves money. They're the people who work for AIG, Citibank, and the 12 thousand lobbyists spending 3.28 billion dollars to make sure that the cash flow goes in their direction. To sum it up, I think you're pointing the finger in the wrong direction.
    A working class hero is something to be

  7. #87
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    All I am asking for is a pure farm labor stat without lumping in logging, commercial fishing, forestry etc. You have all day to look becuse I am off to do some "logging" as in not farm labor. Good luck.
    Sorry but I'm not going to do all of your homework. You made the claim that the majority of farmhands were illegals. It is up to you to provide the evidence to back up your assertion.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #88
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Sorry but I'm not going to do all of your homework. You made the claim that the majority of farmhands were illegals. It is up to you to provide the evidence to back up your assertion.
    From a NYT piece a few years agl:
    The Department of Labor has reported that 53 percent of the 2.5 million farm workers in the United States are illegal immigrants, though growers and labor unions say as much as 70 percent of younger field hands are illegal.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/04/wo...0436.html?_r=0
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #89
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,041

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    When I was a kid in the 50s everyone except movie stars and Randolph Hearst lived in modest homes, drove modest cars and took modest vacations. Mom and dad loaded all 4 of us kids in the station wagon with the 16 ft Terry behind us and we went camping. Now you see people in 200K motor homes "camping". Houses are now huge and having a maid to clean it and a gardener to mow the lawn is common. Kids wear $200.00 tennis shoes, I wore PF Fliers. I could go on and on and give example after example but I think you get the point. IMO opinion Americans have become greedy, spoiled,voracious, rapacious consumers and I get sick of hearing people whine about not having enough. We have developed an entitlement mentality, "I am an American and I deserve to have everything I want". Makes me sick.
    Not everywhere is like your neighborhood.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    There you go again, comparing apples to oranges to make the typical 'angry old man' rant.

    We were not movie star rich by any means but we had a maid come in twice a week to help with the house. Us kids were paid to mow,weed, paint and work as adults for the family.

    Now let's look at your PF flyers and the 200 dollah sneakers. In 1950 dollars the 200 dollar sneakers would be priced at 24 bucks! Not quite rant worthy...

    Our 3.60 gas would be 43 cents. A $160,000 dollar house would run $19,207.68. A $24,000 SUV would be $2,881.15

    Even if we leave out how more complex and safe a modern SUV is compared to a 1950's station wagon it still is a bargain.

    Unless you paid cash on the barrel head you had a very limited ability to purchase the more pricey goods. Credit, as we know it, was just beginning to be a gleam in the financial sector's eye.

    Course we could go back to log cabins and horses...

    I recall someone else making a similar dismissal of our citizens, saying we were lazy, decadent, selfish- capable of producing only jazz, nylons and razor blades (at the time all considered very decadent)

    Wonder what happened to him?
    First off I'm not old, I'm" semi old! I can sum up my OP in one sentence so that maybe you can get it. Ready?

    When I was a kid nobody was ever mugged, stabbed, shot or killed for his pair of PF Fliers.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •