View Poll Results: Have Americans become greedy little spoiled scum bags.

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    22 50.00%
  • no

    22 50.00%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 105

Thread: America land of the glutinous

  1. #51
    Professor
    Dirt Racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    02-19-16 @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    When I was a kid in the 50s everyone except movie stars and Randolph Hearst lived in modest homes, drove modest cars and took modest vacations. Mom and dad loaded all 4 of us kids in the station wagon with the 16 ft Terry behind us and we went camping. Now you see people in 200K motor homes "camping". Houses are now huge and having a maid to clean it and a gardener to mow the lawn is common. Kids wear $200.00 tennis shoes, I wore PF Fliers. I could go on and on and give example after example but I think you get the point. IMO opinion Americans have become greedy, spoiled,voracious, rapacious consumers and I get sick of hearing people whine about not having enough. We have developed an entitlement mentality, "I am an American and I deserve to have everything I want". Makes me sick.
    I gotta say I do see a lot of spoiled people who believe because someone else has something they are owed it too. I am going in the opposite direction. I want away from all this technology rat race. We are 3 months from being completely debt free. I plan to stay that way. House is getting sold to buy a place in the woods.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    I grew up on a cotton farm in the 50's. It wasn't until I was in 7th-8th grade that we went to machinery cotton pickers. During the years we had our cotton picked by hand it was done mostly by blacks and hispanics and only a few whites. Biggest reason was even back then the best worker was the blacks and hispanics.
    So why won't blacks do it now? I'll tell you why, welfare.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Racer View Post
    I gotta say I do see a lot of spoiled people who believe because someone else has something they are owed it too. I am going in the opposite direction. I want away from all this technology rat race. We are 3 months from being completely debt free. I plan to stay that way. House is getting sold to buy a place in the woods.
    That's what I have done. I live a pretty minimalist lifestyle out in the woods and have never been happier.

  4. #54
    Professor
    Dirt Racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    02-19-16 @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    That's what I have done. I live a pretty minimalist lifestyle out in the woods and have never been happier.
    Good deal. I am looking forward to it. We found 31 acres in the woods that we can buy. All the deer you want and nice ground for a garden. Going to work for about 5 more years and then work from home.

  5. #55
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    That's what I have done. I live a pretty minimalist lifestyle out in the woods and have never been happier.
    I'm jelly. I live around the weirdos of the world...lol

    ps. Wanted to be a forest ranger in H.S.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  6. #56
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    That's what I have done. I live a pretty minimalist lifestyle out in the woods and have never been happier.
    I could be a wild-haired ascetic in the wilderness, and be perfectly content.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #57
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,672

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Big money and politicians is a result of being blinded by emotion (selfishness) and coalescing forces. And as Alexander Hamilton famously said, "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end ." Nobody wants to compromise to make things work for everyone and that is the real problem.
    Nobody wants to put their name on a spending cut or a tax increase. Every dime (Obama word) of federal spending has either a voting block or a special interest lobbyist that will make a fuss if it is cut (or a tax benefit is taken away from them). Cut social spending (income redistribution) and votes are lost, cut pork and votes are lost or cut "corporate subsidies" (tax breaks and "research" grants) and campaign cash (leading to votes) is lost.

    Obama (as a compromise?) made token increases in taxation of "the rich" (which was actually a decrease in taxation for 98.6% of taxpayers - which would have occured with no change in the law, at all, by allowing the "Bush" rates to expire) but that brought in only $60 billion in added annual federal revenue, which was immediately used for added federal spending in the first month of 2013, $30 billion for UI benefit extensions and $60 billion for Sandy storm relief - for a net federal deficit increase of $30 billion in only one month.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #58
    Professor
    Dirt Racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    02-19-16 @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I could be a wild-haired ascetic in the wilderness, and be perfectly content.
    Better get to it Lizzie. My girls are really excited about this new life too.

  9. #59
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    So it would all just be better if people weren't making money, right?
    That really isn't the problem. People have been making money since money was first coined, and bartered before that. What has happened in this country is that because of our monetary success collectively, and the subsequent easing of lifestyles, people have become bored and life has become meaningless in many cases. This has fed into a sort of collective obsessiveness, and we're becoming shallow, bored, idiots with nothing more important in our lives than electronic gadgets and entertainment. It's not everyone who has become this way, but it is a problem in society. We have become so intellectually and physically lazy, that it's taking its toll. We're excessive with many aspects of our lives. I can outwork men who are half my age, and it's because hard work is ingrained in me mentally and physically. Last week, I dug 15 fence post holes (with a post hole digger), put in 4x4 cedar posts, and mixed and poured the concrete for them myself. I don't know many people (anymore) who would have a clue how to do that, or who would be willing to exert themselves enough to do the job.

    It's been a change in our national psyche, and for all the money and convenience, there's also a downside.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #60
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: America land of the glutinous

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Nobody wants to put their name on a spending cut or a tax increase. Every dime (Obama word) of federal spending has either a voting block or a special interest lobbyist that will make a fuss if it is cut (or a tax benefit is taken away from them). Cut social spending (income redistribution) and votes are lost, cut pork and votes are lost or cut "corporate subsidies" (tax breaks and "research" grants) and campaign cash (leading to votes) is lost.

    Obama (as a compromise?) made token increases in taxation of "the rich" (which was actually a decrease in taxation for 98.6% of taxpayers - which would have occured with no change in the law, at all, by allowing the "Bush" rates to expire) but that brought in only $60 billion in added annual federal revenue, which was immediately used for added federal spending in the first month of 2013, $30 billion for UI benefit extensions and $60 billion for Sandy storm relief - for a net federal deficit increase of $30 billion in only one month.
    You know what scares me is that I think Obama really believes he's doing the best that can be done. But I see the fundamental flaw in both parties like you do that they're pandering to special interests. I often wonder do they really know how to fix everything and just don't want to or are they that jaded by the process?

    Well, I'm afraid either way there's going to be another moment of crisis because they never did fix the Credit Bubble collapse and have only been delaying the real hard moves.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •