View Poll Results: Is the world overpopulated

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • the more the merrier

    20 39.22%
  • overpopulation is a problem but I am against child quotas

    19 37.25%
  • overpopulation is a problem and we need child quotas

    11 21.57%
  • but but but, my kid may be the one to save the world

    1 1.96%
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 151

Thread: is the population bomb real

  1. #101
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: is the population bomb real

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    I'm not talking about a new energy source. I'm talking about different ways for some the sources we already have.
    I'm not sure what you mean. I repeat my previous post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    2% of the people feed the other 98% of people. I am not sure what I think about that, but it is scary no matter which way I look at it.
    Pretend there was no oil (left) in the world. Would 2% of the people be able to feed the other 98%? How would food literally get to people's dinner tables if there was no oil-based agriculture and transportation?

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: is the population bomb real

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    In other words, it doesn't have to do with personal ability and the disire of self improvement or government nepotism and cronyism as well of other fctors of the regulatory State.
    You're missing the point. There can't be a difference in resources between people unless there is a finite amount of resources. Having .0000000000000000000000001% of infinity is still infinity.

    But yes, I agree, with all of those.

  3. #103
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: is the population bomb real

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    You're missing the point. There can't be a difference in resources between people unless there is a finite amount of resources. Having .0000000000000000000000001% of infinity is still infinity.

    But yes, I agree, with all of those.
    Of course I agree that the resources are finite. We would need to be rational about this. One thing is to stop subsidizing the conversion of food stuff to alcohol for transportation (like is done with corn). We are nearing a point where "beef vats" are going to be commercially possible as well as hydroponics for some vegetables eventually can be mass produced. It is a matter of being economically feasible.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: is the population bomb real

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    Of course I agree that the resources are finite. We would need to be rational about this. One thing is to stop subsidizing the conversion of food stuff to alcohol for transportation (like is done with corn). We are nearing a point where "beef vats" are going to be commercially possible as well as hydroponics for some vegetables eventually can be mass produced. It is a matter of being economically feasible.
    We are at a point where we can stop subsidizing food at all.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: is the population bomb real

    Yes, it is. And its the fault of Africa and Asia.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: is the population bomb real

    Help! Help!


  7. #107
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: is the population bomb real

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    We are at a point where we can stop subsidizing food at all.
    An stop subsidizing the destruction of food such as the destruction of milk to keep the price artificially high.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  8. #108
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,130

    Re: is the population bomb real

    If you put 2 rats in a cage with enough food for 50 rats, the population will eventually grow to around 50 rats. There won't be any massive rat die-offs or rat famines. They will simply find their carrying capacity.

    Humans, however, are not rats. We do things like steal and fight wars and divert water supplies. I don't think we will have a very nice time of reaching carrying capacity.

    Then again, the more educated a populace becomes, the more industrialized, and especially when these these include women, population growth rates tend to hover at or below 1%. So, maybe it won't be all that bad.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  9. #109
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: is the population bomb real

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    If you put 2 rats in a cage with enough food for 50 rats, the population will eventually grow to around 50 rats. There won't be any massive rat die-offs or rat famines. They will simply find their carrying capacity.

    Humans, however, are not rats. We do things like steal and fight wars and divert water supplies. I don't think we will have a very nice time of reaching carrying capacity.

    Then again, the more educated a populace becomes, the more industrialized, and especially when these these include women, population growth rates tend to hover at or below 1%. So, maybe it won't be all that bad.
    I like your rat example. What's happened with people and the discovery of oil is like putting two rats in a big cage with enough food for a million rats, but that food is not replenished. That will create a boom and bust scenario for the rats.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: is the population bomb real

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    An stop subsidizing the destruction of food such as the destruction of milk to keep the price artificially high.
    Seriously, I love my milk.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •