View Poll Results: Do you support universal background checks?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    68 45.64%
  • No

    81 54.36%
Page 68 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 764

Thread: Universal background checks

  1. #671
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Explain Chicago.
    History of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #672
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Universal background checks

    Lame dodge.

  3. #673
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Lame dodge.
    That's all that Haymarket Clone does. Dodge.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #674
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Your personal insults above to MuddyCreek show you've lost the argument. Did your insults make you feel better about your loss?
    I chose not to encourage "it" any longer, which many others should do as well...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #675
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Universal background checks

    Federal case outlines how guns made their way from Indiana to Chicago

    "As he sold four handguns in a South Side parking lot last year, Levaine Tanksley boasted to his customer that there were plenty more illicit weapons available, investigators say.

    "Twenty-five more in four hours," Tanksley told his customer, who was secretly working for law enforcement and recording the conversation. "Give me $5,000 and you can put your order in then. I'll get you whatever, give me a list."

    As Tanksley, who police say has ties to a Chicago street gang, made his sales pitch, David Lewisbey was stocking up on more weapons at a gun show 40 miles away in Crown Point, Ind., one of several trips he made across the state border and back in little more than a day, according to federal authorities. Five hours later, Lewisbey, an unlikely gun trafficker then enrolled in college, was back in Chicago as Tanksley made good on his promise and sold the informant nine more guns, authorities allege."

    ""They are like an arms bazaar," said Paul Helmke, Fort Wayne's former mayor and onetime president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "We make it very, very easy for dangerous people to get guns."

    Charges expose gun pipeline from Indiana to Chicago's violence-plagued neighborhoods - Chicago Tribune
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #676
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I chose not to encourage "it" any longer, which many others should do as well...
    No, you just proved you couldn't make your point.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #677
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    04-03-13 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    458

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I do not recall "infringe" being mentioned in the First...
    You are correct, infringe is not in the text.

    However:

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

    pro•hib•it (proʊˈhɪb ɪt)

    v.t.
    1. to forbid (an action, activity, etc.) by authority or law.
    2. to forbid the action of (a person).
    3. to prevent; hinder.

    abridge [əˈbrɪdʒ]
    vb (tr)
    1. to reduce the length of (a written work) by condensing or rewriting
    2. to curtail; diminish
    3. (Law) Archaic to deprive of (privileges, rights, etc.)

    infringe [ɪnˈfrɪndʒ]
    vb
    1. (tr) to violate or break (a law, an agreement, etc.)
    2. (intr; foll by on or upon) to encroach or trespass


    The wording of the First Amendment is much stronger and more direct than the Second Amendment. "make no law" "abridging (depriving) free speech". Yet you can't yell fire in a crowed movie house. Gasp!!


    My point, stop throwing the word infringe around like some sort of trump card. SCOTUS has upheld concealed weapon bans and "longstanding prohibitions".

    Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons.

  8. #678
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Me either, perhaps you can explain that to the TurtleDude.







    If you think you have a case, it should not be too hard to find some gun manufactures to take it court!
    maybe you can draw on your vast experience as a constitutional scholar and tell us how the interstate nexus is made with intrastate activity. That 90% of braindead people want the checks or because you have a faith based belief that they will stop crime is not the level of constitutional argument I find compelling



  9. #679
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No, you just proved you couldn't make your point.
    No, what was proven is that you can't fix stupid or get anywhere with a troll, so I won't play those games...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #680
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    maybe you can draw on your vast experience as a constitutional scholar and tell us how the interstate nexus is made with intrastate activity. That 90% of braindead people want the checks or because you have a faith based belief that they will stop crime is not the level of constitutional argument I find compelling
    Alls I knows mr TurtleDudes is that despite the wailing by the far right about gun control being unconstitutional, not a single federal gun control law applied to the whole country has ever been ruled to be unconstitutional.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 68 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •