View Poll Results: Do you support universal background checks?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    68 45.64%
  • No

    81 54.36%
Page 58 of 77 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 764

Thread: Universal background checks

  1. #571
    Advisor Dammitboy!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Last Seen
    04-13-13 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    343

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Precisely. Nothing precludes the majority from supporting an unethical position. It's not as if the will of the majority is always magically right and just.

    Any position must be judged on its merits, and saying "The majority supports this position" is completely irrelevant to its ethical legitimacy.
    At one point we had a majority of idiots vote to make booze illegal - just sayin'...
    Some apes are more equal...

  2. #572
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Universal background checks

    One's support for this nonsense tends to be inversely proportional to one's understanding of the issue



  3. #573
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    One's support for this nonsense tends to be inversely proportional to one's understanding of the issue


    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #574
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    its interesting. those who support such checks include the posters who are most ignorant about guns and gun laws

    those who oppose it are mainly those who have demonstrated the most expertise on guns and gun laws.

    what does that tell you?
    #lowinformationvoters

  5. #575
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Universal background checks

    Universal background checks moving closer to a Senate vote:

    "Senate Democrats said Thursday they will take up gun control immediately after a two-week Easter vacation, and said the bill they’ll bring to the chamber floor will include universal background checks for all firearms sales and a crackdown on gun trafficking and straw purchases.

    The background checks are the biggest sticking point — Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said he will include a strict measure written by Sen. Charles E. Schumer, New York Democrat, rather than wait for a bipartisan compromise to emerge.

    Mr. Reid said he is open to substituting that compromise if it’s reached in time, but said the Senate bill will expand background checks either way.

    “I want to be clear: In order to be effective, any bill that passes the Senate must include background checks,” he said.

    He began the process of bringing the bill to the Senate floor Thursday, even as the chamber was debating its fiscal 2014 budget."

    Stage set for Senate gun control debate; background checks are sticking point - Washington Times
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #576
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Universal background checks moving closer to a Senate vote:

    "Senate Democrats said Thursday they will take up gun control immediately after a two-week Easter vacation, and said the bill they’ll bring to the chamber floor will include universal background checks for all firearms sales and a crackdown on gun trafficking and straw purchases.

    The background checks are the biggest sticking point — Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said he will include a strict measure written by Sen. Charles E. Schumer, New York Democrat, rather than wait for a bipartisan compromise to emerge.

    Mr. Reid said he is open to substituting that compromise if it’s reached in time, but said the Senate bill will expand background checks either way.

    “I want to be clear: In order to be effective, any bill that passes the Senate must include background checks,” he said.

    He began the process of bringing the bill to the Senate floor Thursday, even as the chamber was debating its fiscal 2014 budget."

    Stage set for Senate gun control debate; background checks are sticking point - Washington Times
    He better hurry up. The public support for more gun control is waning...

    Poll: Support for stricter gun control wanes - CBS News
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  7. #577
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Universal background checks

    The poll is nonsensicle. I can't vote "yes" or "no" without any details of how we would go about this.

    Personally, I like tt's idea, but I doubt something this logical will ever make it to the Senate.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    This is not a valid yes/no question!

    It is like asking "Should we let kids eat ice cream?", yes ocassionally, but not all of the time and no if they are allergic.

    This is not a valid poll question since it does not say: HOW these BG checks are done, WHERE these BG checks are done or the USER COST of these BG checks. I support doing these "universal" BG checks ONCE per citizen, upon issue, renewal or update of their state issued, photo IDs by adding a "GUN OK" designation if the NICS database check so indicates. I do not support doing them only at FFL dealers for each gun/ammo sale and at a cost of $35 to $50 per sale.

  8. #578
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    He better hurry up. The public support for more gun control is waning...

    Poll: Support for stricter gun control wanes - CBS News

    Yet public support for Universal Background Checks remains strong:

    Universal Background Checks Maintain High Public Support: Polls
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #579
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,314

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Roughly ninety percent of Americans
    support universal background checks. Do you?
    THAT'S a huge big fat lie.

    And NO, I dont. How about we enforcebthe laws in place before passing new ones.

    The old laws disn't stop criminals from going on their rampages, and neither will the new ones.

  10. #580
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,314

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Yet public support for Universal
    Background Checks remains strong:

    Universal Background Checks Maintain High Public Support: Polls
    There are CURRENT back ground checks really dont have any impact on rhe criminals who disobey them.

Page 58 of 77 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •