View Poll Results: Do you support universal background checks?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    68 45.64%
  • No

    81 54.36%
Page 20 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 764

Thread: Universal background checks

  1. #191
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    90% of voters and the admirals and generals do not interpret the Constitution the way the far right does.
    The Pew survey did have it as 85% not 90% and with respect to the generals who are more political than the run of the mill military soldier or officer and thus their view of the Constitution is more questionable.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  2. #192
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,080

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    So far it appears that under the survey by the Pew Research Center did state private gun sales and sales at gun shows having background checks is at 85%. We'll see if it keeps that strong when actual proposals are discussed and the monetary costs of using these background checks are reveled.
    ... and the NRA and other right wing groups teach their sycophants and toadies what is the preferred stance.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #193
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The Pew Poll shows 85% support among gun owners for background checks for "all potential gun buyers"!
    Given that the survey (the PEW one not the one in the OP) was a lengthy one and many of those questions were withheld makes me a little suspicious and I can only think about what those questions were and how it might have managed the survey. Also since it was lengthy that also biases a survey to those who are more inclined to a strong opinion as opposed to the general population.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  4. #194
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    ... and the NRA and other right wing groups teach their sycophants and toadies what is the preferred stance.
    In the same way as Handgun Control and other pro centrist government groups do so with their members? Is it always a matter of control over other people that you suggest. Most people on both sides are quite capable fo thinking about the issues rationally but not so much about thinking it thru to a logical end where such proposal eventually lead.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  5. #195
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    Given that the survey (the PEW one not the one in the OP) was a lengthy one and many of those questions were withheld makes me a little suspicious and I can only think about what those questions were and how it might have managed the survey. Also since it was lengthy that also biases a survey to those who are more inclined to a strong opinion as opposed to the general population.
    You have yet to explain your confusion as to what "all potential gun buyers" means. My challenge still stands, post any national poll that shows more than marginal opposition to background checks for "all potential gun buyers". If you can not, than your suspicions are a figment of far right imaginings.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #196
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,080

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    In the same way as Handgun Control and other pro centrist government groups do so with their members? Is it always a matter of control over other people that you suggest. Most people on both sides are quite capable fo thinking about the issues rationally but not so much about thinking it thru to a logical end where such proposal eventually lead.
    You miss the point. 2/3 of NRA members have said they favor background checks. So La Pierre goes on a huge media blitz to bring them into line and telling them they are not parroting the party line as expected.

    Is there a counter group to the NRA who is doing the same thing to change the opinions of their members after they voiced the "wrong opinion"?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #197
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Roughly ninety percent of Americans support universal background checks. Do you?
    No, I don't. I shouldn't have to sacrifice one civil right, in order to excercise another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #198
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, I don't. I shouldn't have to sacrifice one civil right, in order to excercise another.

    What civil rights do background checks require you to sacrifice?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #199
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    What civil rights do background checks require you to sacrifice?
    My 4th Amendment rights. It's not the business of a Wal-Mart associate, when they run a background check on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #200
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You have yet to explain your confusion as to what "all potential gun buyers" means. My challenge still stands, post any national poll that shows more than marginal opposition to background checks for "all potential gun buyers". If you can not, than your suspicions are a figment of far right imaginings.
    I'm not confused about the subject but merely made an observation that the participants on the CBS poll might not have understood what that poll question meant and on the PEW poll there is a question on the undisclosed questions may have influenced the poll. Even if there is popular support for background checks the type of implementation and the cost on the other hand may render it less popular. Also I do not need to show a contrarian poll but show the methodology in these polls render the results as questionable.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

Page 20 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •