View Poll Results: Do you support universal background checks?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    68 45.64%
  • No

    81 54.36%
Page 14 of 77 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 764

Thread: Universal background checks

  1. #131
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Unfortunately you neglected to quote this:



    This sure sounds like a registry. You know the kind of registry that was proclaimed a non-starter in the MANY links you have provided optimistically promoting the 'closeness' of Senate legislation...
    catawba has already admitted he wants a complete ban on guns and hopes for that to happen



  2. #132
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,388

    Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No, what I am saying is what the new report that you ignored, stated:

    "The report "Background Checks for Firearm Transfers" by Garen Wintemute, who also serves as a professor of emergency medicine, notes that 40 percent of U.S. gun transactions occur between unlicensed private parties, such as people buying and selling at gun shows. That figure doubles, to more than 80 percent, for firearm sales that involve criminal intent."

    "By creating a single, equitable structure governing all retail commerce in firearms, Congress could make it harder for criminals to obtain guns, substantially reduce firearm-related violence, and curb the large-volume gun purchases that result in firearm trafficking, Wintemute said."
    So what you are saying is that criminals who purchase through private sale would somehow magically be stopped? They wouldn't try to avoid the system?

    So basically the ONLY people that would be involved in the background checks would be those that CHOOSE to be. Not anyone else. Lol.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  3. #133
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    So what you are saying is that criminals who purchase through private sale would somehow magically be stopped? They wouldn't try to avoid the system?

    So basically the ONLY people that would be involved in the background checks would be those that CHOOSE to be. Not anyone else. Lol.
    they won't discuss the facts

    unless there is complete registration and laws forcing private citizens to keep the same records FFLs keep, the UBC law is doomed to fail

    and that of course is what gun banners like Catawba want. A feel good law that many low wattage individuals will support as an opening to force registration.



  4. #134
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you have never come close to explaining why that matters
    90% of the country understands why it matters and my guess is the remaining 10% will never get it!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #135
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Unfortunately you neglected to quote this:



    This sure sounds like a registry. You know the kind of registry that was proclaimed a non-starter in the MANY links you have provided optimistically promoting the 'closeness' of Senate legislation...
    I don't think that part will be included in the bipartisan bill. Its a damn shame, but such is the state of GOP politics, at least until the next couple of elections!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #136
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    So what you are saying is that criminals who purchase through private sale would somehow magically be stopped? They wouldn't try to avoid the system?

    So basically the ONLY people that would be involved in the background checks would be those that CHOOSE to be. Not anyone else. Lol.
    The easiest and cheapest place right now for a criminal to buy a gun without a background check is through a gun show in 40 states or responding to private sellers online. By removing those sources, it makes it more difficult and more expensive for criminals to buy guns. That is the goal.

    Background checks do not prevent law abiding citizens from buying guns. That is why a majority of gun owners and 90% of voters support background checks. I can't think of another issue in the last 10 years that has seen that kind of support from Democrats, Republicans, and Independents!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #137
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    90% of the country understands why it matters and my guess is the remaining 10% will never get it!
    You keep repeating this “90%” lie in the face of it having been overwhelming disproven.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  8. #138
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    90% of the country understands why it matters and my guess is the remaining 10% will never get it!
    The repeatedly squawked appeal to mediocrity



  9. #139
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I don't think that part will be included in the bipartisan bill. Its a damn shame, but such is the state of GOP politics, at least until the next couple of elections!
    You dream! Judging future elections based on the current political climate is foolish regardless of the daily rhetoric of the 'talking heads'. Just look at what happened in '97, 2001, 2004, 2006 or 2010. Very little changed in last year's election from the prior year and this somehow is evidence of a 'shift'...really?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  10. #140
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Universal background checks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    90% of the country understands why it matters and my guess is the remaining 10% will never get it!
    How can '90% of the country understands why it matters' when the specifics of UBC's are not defined?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

Page 14 of 77 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •