View Poll Results: A license to have children?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 25.41%
  • No

    85 69.67%
  • Undecided

    6 4.92%
Page 5 of 80 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 792

Thread: A license to have children [W:81]

  1. #41
    Student Bethlehem Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bethlehem, PA
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 10:50 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    294

    re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Wonderful. So you support absolutely NO repercussions or accountability.

    Tell you what - how about you pay the money these pieces of crap steal from my pocket when they make irreparable, costly mistakes.

    And people wonder why we have an endless entitlement problem. Here you go, people.

    Way to tow the line, entitlement baby.
    i never said that i support no accountability or repercussions - where did you read that?

    oh wait, you didnt, you just assumed and then projected

    in another post in this same thread ive called for solutions to the problems of welfare fraud and abuse

    i havent seen you offer any suggestions though

    also - what makes welfare recipients "pieces of crap"? the fact that they are poor?

    finally, if someone has stolen something from pocket, maybe you should call the police and report a robbery

    otherwise, the taxes that are deducted from your paycheck are not illegal

  2. #42
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bethlehem Bill View Post
    the programs in place are not in existence to "support breeding by morons"

    some people take advantage of the system - no doubt

    but that does not mean we scrap the entire system

    it is cynical in my opinion, to view the programs, and the recipients thereof entirely in one unfavorable light - the assumption that they are morons that breed

    this country is big, complex, and there are a lot of moving parts

    when we identify a problem, like welfare fraud, lets address that problem and come up with some solutions

    not just calling everyone on welfare some kind of degenerate moron
    I look at results, honestly, not feel good theory. You can not call a permanenet gov't dependent underclass "progress". A gov't check does not work as sunstiotute for "daddy", yet that is the basis for much of our current welfare system - add cash to support that kind of breeding. No requirements for a HS education, remaining sober or following any personal improvement plan.

    Marriage: America's Greatest Weapon Against Child Poverty

    An Analysis of Out-Of-Wedlock Births in the United States | Brookings Institution
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #43
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    My side of the aisle likes coercing people into abortions by threatening them with starvation? That's actually the exact opposite of what I and mine like. We like abortion as a choice, and we don't like pushing anyone further into poverty and starvation.

    But sure, go ahead and keep making stuff up.
    No I am saying that is what you should do. Your side of the aisle is all about forcing people to do things and taking things from people and all that autocratic choice in the guise of "creating opportunities" so this is just another in the evolutionary arc of "Progressive Thought"

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bethlehem Bill View Post
    i never said that i support no accountability or repercussions - where did you read that?

    oh wait, you didnt, you just assumed and then projected

    in another post in this same thread ive called for solutions to the problems of welfare fraud and abuse

    i havent seen you offer any suggestions though

    also - what makes welfare recipients "pieces of crap"? the fact that they are poor?

    finally, if someone has stolen something from pocket, maybe you should call the police and report a robbery

    otherwise, the taxes that are deducted from your paycheck are not illegal
    When idiots know that they can milk it and game the system by having kids supported by tens of millions of taxpayers, abuse and fraud will never end.

    It reminds me of those California parents who just send their kids to "time out", then wonder why they don't get any type of respect and raise kids who are incorrigible. Sometimes you need some "tough love".

    In your system, nobody learns a lesson because you completely wipe away all culpability. You can say you don't, but you obviously do.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    When idiots know that they can milk it and game the system by having kids supported by tens of millions of taxpayers, abuse and fraud will never end.

    It reminds me of those California parents who just send their kids to "time out", then wonder why they don't get any type of respect and raise kids who are incorrigible. Sometimes you need some "tough love".

    In your system, nobody learns a lesson because you completely wipe away all culpability. You can say you don't, but you obviously do.
    I agree but I wouldn't call them idiots. They can work the system with the skill Warren Buffett works the stock market.

  6. #46
    Student Bethlehem Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bethlehem, PA
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 10:50 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    294

    re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Welfare fraud is actually peripheral to what this is really about. Welfare statism is the inadvertent promotion of survival of the weakest. Welfare's long-term effect is socially degenerative.
    sure, ok, and we are getting sidetracked from the original point of the thread

    but the only argument i am seeing in these posts is that

    because welfare fraud exists --> we should legislate and regulate reproductive rights based on intelligence

    the conclusion does not follow the premise

  7. #47
    Student Bethlehem Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bethlehem, PA
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 10:50 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    294

    re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    When idiots know that they can milk it and game the system by having kids supported by tens of millions of taxpayers, abuse and fraud will never end.

    It reminds me of those California parents who just send their kids to "time out", then wonder why they don't get any type of respect and raise kids who are incorrigible. Sometimes you need some "tough love".

    In your system, nobody learns a lesson because you completely wipe away all culpability. You can say you don't, but you obviously do.
    one - i never said that fraud and abuse will ever end. it is part of human nature for some people to try to take these kinds of advantages. that doesnt mean the entire system needs to be thrown away

    the fact that "california" partenting isnt the same philosophy that you would apply to child raising is irrelevant - all are free to raise their children in whatever way they deem appropriate

    what is "my system"? I am referring to the current setup of the government, it is the system that all of us participate in

    and if a person is caught defrauding the system, then i completely support harsh punishments

    there should be culpability and i support that

    if you have to put words in my mouth to make your point, its not a good sign

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: A license to have children [W:81]

    It's interesting that it's mostly libertarians and conservatives that support such a huge intrusion by government into individual's lives. I guess I can take their whole "too much government' argument even LESS seriously than I already do. It's becoming clearer and clearer by the day that what they really mean by "too much government" is "I want to do what I want and screw everyone else" - as I suspected. Also, the contempt some people seem to have for those who they think don't deserve children is disturbing to the point that I think those expressing it are a threat to society. There's clearly a huge emotional component going into a lot people's opinions on this topic and emotion is definitely not a good basis for intruding on people's lives this severely.

    As for the topic specifically, since the people who would be primarily effected by this would be non-whites and the poor (of all races/ethnicities), a policy regulating who can have kids would just increase racism and classism, increase white and wealth privilege and severely intensify racial and class tension. In other words, it would disrupt society significantly. For instance, I really can't imagine a lot of black people would ever be able to let old wounds heal knowing that their government enacted a policy that would prevent many of them from having children due to poverty within the population. I mean, that's really sick. I can't believe people are supporting this.

    That said, there is a problem with parents who can't raise children. In order to address this problem, I propose we come at it from a place of compassion rather than a place of contempt - a place of understanding rather than a place of superiority and supremacy. As others have suggested, we should promote parenting classes in a way that research shows will be effective. We should also improve the education system in general to help people make better life choices in general. There are plenty of things that we can do to help people make better decisions. That's the responsible way to handle the problem. Requiring a license to have children is the dangerous way.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I agree but I wouldn't call them idiots. They can work the system with the skill Warren Buffett works the stock market.
    Even an idiot can learn a particular skill.

  10. #50
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: A license to have children [W:81]

    I am very sure that my view will be very unpopular but I think that mankind would greatly benefit from a global reproduction cap of one child per person. As a result global populations would eventually be reduced. Most of our environmental, energy, food, and resource problems would be eradicated if the population was greatly diminished. Just an extreme example to make my point, imagine if the global population were 10,000 people. With 10,000 people almost no matter how reckless they were in resource consumption or methods would they have any profound effect on supply or environment. Many of mankind's current dilemma's are only compounded by our ever growing populations. As a result mankind acts in all sorts of despicable ways to secure our limited resources and wealth such as wars, manipulation, ect. I believe that we are on a path to great suffering. At some point our constant population growth will exceed our ability to support that population and a great many will suffer as a result.

Page 5 of 80 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •