View Poll Results: A license to have children?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 25.41%
  • No

    85 69.67%
  • Undecided

    6 4.92%
Page 35 of 80 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 792

Thread: A license to have children [W:81]

  1. #341
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    LOL

    I've never heard anyone say "I'll have a KID to get a HOUSE"



    Having kids is the #1 reason to not be able to secure these things for most people . . . duh - if someone wanted **** like that they'd instead just not have kids and be able to support just their self and never be tied to supporting another human for the next 18 years.
    18 years....at the very least. My younger sister is 36 and my folks are still bailing her ass out financially....shame on them for doing so, but still.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  2. #342
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    LOL

    I've never heard anyone say "I'll have a KID to get a HOUSE"



    Having kids is the #1 reason to not be able to secure these things for most people . . . duh - if someone wanted **** like that they'd instead just not have kids and be able to support just their self and never be tied to supporting another human for the next 18 years.
    that's what is happening whether or not you want to face that fact. If people were required to freakin provide for themselve, they'd breed much less. Or maybe they wouldn't, but the problem would eventually take care of itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Yup, good point. We need to discourage procreation from a financial standpoint.

    This way, the poor can't reap the benefits, and more affluent people will think that having a child offsets any negatives involved.
    Children equal poverty. They are costly, time consuming, and a burden worse than terminal illness. I can think of few things more likely to pin a person down to a life of mediocrity than having children. And yet people keep having them. My hypothesis is that people would have less children if there were incentives like not receiving public funding for instance. And if people do have children anyhow, when they go to receive aid for them, sterilization should be a requirement.

  3. #343
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Children equal poverty. They are costly, time consuming, and a burden worse than terminal illness. I can think of few things more likely to pin a person down to a life of mediocrity than having children. And yet people keep having them. My hypothesis is that people would have less children if there were incentives like not receiving public funding for instance. And if people do have children anyhow, when they go to receive aid for them, sterilization should be a requirement.
    100% agree...and now you can stand with me and fend off the arrows shot your way from the bleeding hearts who think that stupidity and irresponsibility being subsidized by taxpayers should continue as planned.

  4. #344
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Everyone's always focusing on the kid's parents and not the kids when they talk about these things.

    I don't care what hte parents have done - I don't feel it's moral to allow kids to suffer without food and clothing for their parent's poor decisions... the only thing I Might agree on is the housing thing but that's actually not extremely common. Most of the time the gov provides financial assistance for housing and other basics.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #345
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,892

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Which rights of children? Their rights to not be neglected or abused.

    I realize there is a bit of a "pre-crime" element to this, but I think we should consider the less destructive route here, and all along I have admitted the controversial aspects of this approach. Nonetheless, there are people in our society whose unfitness for parenthood is permanent and incontrovertible. Are you denying this?
    Yes, there is definitely a pre-crime element to this and that is what I'm objecting to. We have a history of abusing the reproductive rights of people deemed unfit to have children. It's destructive to our rights to go down this road. Who can we trust with that power?

    I can't begin to contemplate who I would think I have the right to deem unfit for parenthood, before the fact.

  6. #346
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Everyone's always focusing on the kid's parents and not the kids when they talk about these things.

    I don't care what hte parents have done - I don't feel it's moral to allow kids to suffer without food and clothing for their parent's poor decisions... the only thing I Might agree on is the housing thing but that's actually not extremely common. Most of the time the gov provides financial assistance for housing and other basics.
    Exactly the opposite is happening. The reason these programs keep getting expanded is precisely because there is so much emphasis on the kids, and virtually none regarding the parents.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #347
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Exactly the opposite is happening. The reason these programs keep getting expanded is precisely because there is so much emphasis on the kids, and virtually none regarding the parents.
    I don't care - I'm much more concerned about the welfare of the children than I am about the parents . . . I don't forget that's the only reason why we have any of these programs.

    We could restructure the programs and such - I support altering how my state does things, for example - but it won't take away from general belief that we need them. We're not a 3rd world country and i refuse to suggest we should let kids live as if we are.

    Studies have proven that if children are adequately cared for they'll turn out better off - right? Better educated means more likely to support their selves - and so far it's proving to be very true.

    And also take into consideration that a lot of people were doing fine - until the recession hit - and we're still climbing out of that hole . . . you want to 'punish' people for carelessly having children when in reality the majority of people now needing help are seeking it out for reasons outside of their decisions in life . . . you want to shut them out, too?

    Hoovervilles all over again - my my how little have some learned from history?
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #348
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,892

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I'm actually reading Brave New World right now. Seeing this thread while in the midst of reading that book is extremely disturbing. I am so incredibly sickened by this thread, but the ironic thing about those arguing in favor of licensing/sterilization is that they would likely be prohibited from reproducing given the complete lack of empathy and destructive tendencies that they've displayed.
    I'm sickened too. I can't believe that in light of demonstrable evidence of abuse of such power in our own history, it's being openly contemplated here that we have a right to force sterilization on our fellow citizens.

    For me, it's the hubris that anyone could believe that power couldn't be turned on them, or theirs.

  9. #349
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Should people be required to qualify and obtain a license to have children? If so, what should be the standards to qualify and why?

    People need a license to drive, hunt, fish, etc and society is inundated with government regulations as it is, and yet people can breed freely without regard for their ability to provide for their children and regardless of genetic health. Personally, I think it would be disastrous to give the government control over reproduction, especially considering the lousy job it does with everything else. And yet, it is illogical for unhealthy and/or poverty stricken people to breed.
    When I taught school for 33 years, I would do this exercise from time to time. I would place a line on the board as a continuum and on one end place the words COMPLETE GOVERNMENT REGULATION and on the other end NO GOVERNMENT REGULATION. Then we would take things like you just mentioned - driving a car, truck, cutting hair, hunting, selling real estate, practicing medicine, teaching, practicing law and others and place them on the line somewhere in between the two depending on how strictly they were regulated or licensed. Then the last thing we would place on the line was creating a human being.

    It always got kids to think.

    The point of the exercise was NOT to advocate for the government to license having children. It was to get people to think about how damn little one needs to be prepared to have children and the consequences that then flow from that reality.

    I wish you luck in this thread and on this topic.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #350
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I don't care - I'm much more concerned about the welfare of the children than I am about the parents . . . I don't forget that's the only reason why we have any of these programs.

    We could restructure the programs and such - I support altering how my state does things, for example - but it won't take away from general belief that we need them. We're not a 3rd world country and i refuse to suggest we should let kids live as if we are.

    Studies have proven that if children are adequately cared for they'll turn out better off - right? Better educated means more likely to support their selves - and so far it's proving to be very true.

    And also take into consideration that a lot of people were doing fine - until the recession hit - and we're still climbing out of that hole . . . you want to 'punish' people for carelessly having children when in reality the majority of people now needing help are seeking it out for reasons outside of their decisions in life . . . you want to shut them out, too?

    Hoovervilles all over again - my my how little have some learned from history?
    Is it true? If so, then why are we "needing" to keep expanding the programs? Shouldn't people doing better mean fewer and/or smaller programs necessary? (This is an ever-increasing issue, and is not really tied to economic trends of a given moment in time,btw)

    Some programs, such as school lunches, are being expanded to the point that even some of the most ardent supporters admit they're 'helping' kids and families that honestly don't need help, but they're being expanded so all kids are as 'equal' as can be.

    I'm not in support of eliminating these programs entirely, but I do believe that have expanded way beyond their legitimate need.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 35 of 80 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •