View Poll Results: A license to have children?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 25.41%
  • No

    85 69.67%
  • Undecided

    6 4.92%
Page 30 of 80 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 792

Thread: A license to have children [W:81]

  1. #291
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Not at all.
    The state provides aid, until all the children reach the age of majority.
    Then the parents have to pay back any moneys collected for children, after the 1st.
    And what's the difference between that and judge's orders for child support? The point is that it doesn't make a difference for the most part. People are going to be people and continue to do what they want to do in the end. We can "order" them to pay and threaten them with jail, but we already do that with child support and it doesn't seem to work so well.

  2. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    What are you talking about? I'm debating the issue as well and one of arguments is that some of the positions being advocated mirror those in Brave New World and that they are lacking in empathy and are destructive to society and humanity, in general.
    I don't want you accusing me of advocating any kind of scenario like your book suggests. The reason why some people WOULD advocate for this is empathy and sympathy for the unwanted children.

  3. #293
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    What are you suggesting then if not sterilization? Your comment is ambiguous to the point where your argument is indiscernible.
    I think forced sterilization is bad, but I also think that subsidizing poor choices and planning is bad, as well.
    I think there should be a set of consequences for relying on state aid and having more than 1 child, that you require state aid to support.

    To me, needing state aid to support a child, is child abuse.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I think forced sterilization is bad, but I also think that subsidizing poor choices and planning is bad, as well.
    I think there should be a set of consequences for relying on state aid and having more than 1 child, that you require state aid to support.

    To me, needing state aid to support a child, is child abuse.
    I can totally relate to that viewpoint. To me, having child after child after child that one cannot afford and pretty much mandating that others care for financially is a form of child abuse as well.

  5. #295
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    And what's the difference between that and judge's orders for child support? The point is that it doesn't make a difference for the most part. People are going to be people and continue to do what they want to do in the end. We can "order" them to pay and threaten them with jail, but we already do that with child support and it doesn't seem to work so well.
    Well, I'm not happy with the rise of single parenthood, especially if there are multiple children involved.
    It generally leads to these children being brought up in poor conditions, regardless of state aid.

    Note, I'm not implicating all single parents here, just those who rely on state aid, have multiple children and who are not a victim of consequence (rape, abusive husband, etc).

    If you wish to remain single, have more than one child you can't afford, the state should require you to pay that aid back after the children grow up.
    Of course, I would say that splitting it between both parents would be an option, the single mother has to name that person though.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Of course, everyone is apt to making mistakes and poor decisions, that's why I give the allowance of MORE than one child in my argument.

  7. #297
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't want you accusing me of advocating any kind of scenario like your book suggests. The reason why some people WOULD advocate for this is empathy and sympathy for the unwanted children.
    I haven't even read most of your posts, but if you're advocating sterilization or some form of eugenics; if you've referred to parents you perceive as irresponsible with contemptuous phrases like "breeding morons"; or if you've said things like "I don't care if they die in the streets", then those are the arguments I'm talking about. If not, then your arguments are not what I'm talking about.

  8. #298
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Of course, everyone is apt to making mistakes and poor decisions, that's why I give the allowance of MORE than one child in my argument.
    That's why I say, 1st kid free from repayments, subsequent children you repay for.
    I'm not an inhumane bastard.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Well, I'm not happy with the rise of single parenthood, especially if there are multiple children involved.
    It generally leads to these children being brought up in poor conditions, regardless of state aid.

    Note, I'm not implicating all single parents here, just those who rely on state aid, have multiple children and who are not a victim of consequence (rape, abusive husband, etc).

    If you wish to remain single, have more than one child you can't afford, the state should require you to pay that aid back after the children grow up.
    Of course, I would say that splitting it between both parents would be an option, the single mother has to name that person though.
    Hmmm. Something important to remember too is that some people who collect services are not actually single. They are gaming the system. I've seen it multiple times where a woman actually does have a man residing with her but lies about it in order to continue to collect services. I believe that another poster brought this point up earlier in the thread. So I don't know how reliable these "single-parenting" issues are, and on top of that are multiple other contributing factors IMO.

  10. #300
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That's why I say, 1st kid free from repayments, subsequent children you repay for.
    I'm not an inhumane bastard.
    LOL! I'm just defending my OWN position.

Page 30 of 80 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •