View Poll Results: A license to have children?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 25.41%
  • No

    85 69.67%
  • Undecided

    6 4.92%
Page 28 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 792

Thread: A license to have children [W:81]

  1. #271
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,953

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm talking about people who are receiving social services. Obviously they aren't paying for their own abortions.
    Medicaid only covers abortions in 15 states.


    Medicaid covers abortion in 15 states in the U.S. If you live in one of the states below, click on the state name to be taken to some instructions about how to enroll in Medicaid quickly. If you want to use Medicaid to cover your abortion, you must live in and have your abortion in the same state. Your Medicaid coverage will not follow you if you need to travel out of state.

    If you do not live in one of these 15 states, your Medicaid will not cover your abortion.
    Many clinics offer discounts for women who are enrolled in Medicaid.
    Can Medicaid cover my abortion? | Fund Abortion Now.org

    Edited to add:

    If they can't afford their abortions sometimes they can recieve free or dicounted ones because others have made donations that are given to the clinics
    to help these women.
    Last edited by minnie616; 02-24-13 at 09:58 AM.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  2. #272
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Not at all. I'm simply pointing out the glaring, unsubtle flaws in your proposition. Individuals who want all prospects of procreating wiped clean would be sterilized as you proposed. Those who feel they should have a choice would avoid that route. The two stances are antithetical.
    I see your point, but still it wouldn't hurt to prevent unwanted children.

    I am strictly referring to those collecting welfare and who have more than one child, just to be clear here.

    Another angle. What if the woman is collecting welfare, has more than one child and has also had more than one abortion? Still leave the choice up to her? What about a mentally disabled person (man or woman)? One who is really not capable of sexual consent on either an intellectual or emotional level, yet has had multiple children and is collecting services?

  3. #273
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    Medicaid only covers abortions in 15 states.


    Can Medicaid cover my abortion? | Fund Abortion Now.org
    Minnie, that is really kind of irrelevant to my point; let's not turn this into yet another abortion thread.

  4. #274
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Why not? They have proven that they are unable to care for themselves or any future children. "Just because" isn't good enough.



    I'm sure that everyone can agree that a person who cannot take care of themselves would not be able to take care of any additional children. This is not a philosophical question.


    Legal implications, as mentioned before. The only recourse you have is calling up your congressman and encouraging him to alter the income qualifications for welfare, the amount of children that one is compensated for, or abolish it altogether. After that, it's hands off. Poor folks don't have to garner your approval in order to screw.

    Missed the point. Lower income families who would like to have another child wouldn't view your dictates as beneficiary nor welcome.

  5. #275
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,953

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Originally Posted by minnie616
    Medicaid only covers abortions in 15 states.


    Can Medicaid cover my abortion? | Fund Abortion Now.org
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Minnie, that is really kind of irrelevant to my point; let's not turn this into yet another abortion thread.
    Not irrelevant since you brought SS paying for abortions.

    Originally Posted by ChrisL
    I'm talking about people who are receiving social services. Obviously they aren't paying for their own abortions.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  6. #276
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    Not irrelevant since you brought SS paying for abortions.
    LOL! You've got me there, but really I'm talking about sterilizing so that it never even reaches THAT point.

    Of course, this is all strictly for debate purposes (it's a boring rainy Sunday ). If it actually came down to it, I doubt I would support such a drastic measure, but it's certainly interesting to think about it and debate it.

  7. #277
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Legal implications, as mentioned before. The only recourse you have is calling up your congressman and encouraging him to alter the income qualifications for welfare, the amount of children that one is compensated for, or abolish it altogether. After that, it's hands off. Poor folks don't have to garner your approval in order to screw.

    Missed the point. Lower income families who would like to have another child wouldn't view your dictates as beneficiary nor welcome.
    See, I don't believe in punishing the child for the sins of the parents. That's the thing with me.

    Whether or not people would "welcome" the intrusion is besides the point. The question is, IMO, what would be best for society as a whole? Trying to ignore the emotional/moral side of the issue, I cannot come up with a good reason why not and I'm truly interested in what others come up with. Government intrusion is one good one so far.

  8. #278
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    LOL! You've got me there, but really I'm talking about sterilizing so that it never even reaches THAT point.

    Of course, this is all strictly for debate purposes (it's a boring rainy Sunday ). If it actually came down to it, I doubt I would support such a drastic measure, but it's certainly interesting to think about it and debate it.
    As far as things go, the state can and has ordered people not to have more children.
    It's just usually men who fail to pay child support.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #279
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    As far as things go, the state can and has ordered people not to have more children.
    It's just usually men who fail to pay child support.
    Link?

  10. #280
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 28 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •