View Poll Results: A license to have children?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 25.41%
  • No

    85 69.67%
  • Undecided

    6 4.92%
Page 16 of 80 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 792

Thread: A license to have children [W:81]

  1. #151
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,889

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    To say that you own something means that its needs and feelings don't require or deserve any regard beyond selfish motivations. That is the distinction.
    But you don't have to do that as parents. Any parent can do otherwise.

  2. #152
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    To say that you own something means that its needs and feelings don't require or deserve any regard beyond selfish motivations. That is the distinction.
    What about owning a pet, a company or land?

  3. #153
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Not necessarily. It depends on the situation, as it does with animal care. Things happen. It is not always because the caretaker is irresponsible. If it is because they are irresponsible, then that is a different matter, and again, the approach needed will vary.

    These are not simple black-and-white issues.
    Could you imagine any situation in which you think someone should be mandatorily sterilized? /curious

  4. #154
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    But you don't have to do that as parents. Any parent can do otherwise.
    In some cases, yes, and that should be harshly punished. Children are not possessions.

  5. #155
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,982

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    But people who cannot (or will not?) care for (including feed, house and clothe) their children should not be prosecuted, they should be given gov't rewards (welfare) for that failure instead?
    There is a difference between extending aid to needy families and child abuse.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #156
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Could you imagine any situation in which you think someone should be mandatorily sterilized? /curious
    No. The only possible scenario I can envision is an extremely predatory rapist or child molester, but in that case, they should never be let out of prison, so there's no need to sterilize them.

  7. #157
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,573

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Not necessarily. It depends on the situation, as it does with animal care. Things happen. It is not always because the caretaker is irresponsible. If it is because they are irresponsible, then that is a different matter, and again, the approach needed will vary.

    These are not simple black-and-white issues.
    That is where you are wrong. The law, stating who is "entitled" to welfare, is indeed black and white and differs 100% from the laws concerning pet care conditions. If your dog is not well cared for you will NEVER get handed a gov't "help" check.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #158
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,589

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    IMO, if they are broke to start with, they shouldn't be able to have kids until they can properly care for them. If they were doing OK financially, and lost their job, for Pete's sake, we can't take the kids from them. Besides, people who usually fall down after financial stability, find themselves stable again before long.

    It's the people that flat out refuse to work that I have a problem with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  9. #159
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    What about owning a pet, a company or land?
    That is also how I feel about pets. A company or land is somewhat similar, in that it does have ethical considerations in terms of employees, society, and the environment that I believe the owner is obligated to consider.

  10. #160
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That is where you are wrong. The law, stating who is "entitled" to welfare, is indeed black and white and differs 100% from the laws concerning pet care conditions. If your dog is not well cared for you will NEVER get handed a gov't "help" check.
    Just because that is the law doesn't mean it's the truth of the matter, just like the fact that the law considering my cat a possession doesn't mean she is.

Page 16 of 80 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •