View Poll Results: A license to have children?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 25.41%
  • No

    85 69.67%
  • Undecided

    6 4.92%
Page 14 of 80 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 792

Thread: A license to have children [W:81]

  1. #131
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Wait..... question..... would you have to be a citizen of the US to obtain this license?


  2. #132
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, if we wanted to be honest about population problems, it has NOTHING to do with people having babies. It has everything to do with advances in medical technology. People are SUPPOSED to die.
    Medical technology is part of it, but not even the biggest part. It was the oil boom. Oil helped us produce tons of food and ship it to all corners of the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I wonder if you are pro life or pro choice?
    I feel quite conflicted on that issue. I ideologically distance myself significantly from pro-life nut cases on the religious right. Abortion itself though is kind of painful for me to think about. I don't have a strong belief about the point at which a ZEF becomes a life worthy of its own human rights independent of the mother that carries it. In short, I've put an immense amount of thought into it over the years and I just don't really know.

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I get the desire to regulate reproduction. I've definitely made offhand remarks about making people take tests before they become parents after witnessing some particularly bad parenting in the families of some friends and acquaintances (or just looking at commercials for 'Teen Mom' on MTV). When it goes from just a frustrated remark to an actual policy consideration though, my tune changes.

    As far as dissuading and preventing people from becoming parents too soon, I think that can be done much in the same way education about safe sex has had a great deal of success in preventing the spread of STDs. I can't really speak a lot on what specific solutions I would advocate because I just haven't done a lot of research on the issue. Regardless, I think the best solution is to help people make the right choices rather than let government decide who does and doesn't have kids.
    Yeah, that clearly works. You'd have a better chance crossing all of your fingers, surrounding yourself in rabbits' feet and putting horseshoes around your neck. All you're doing is wishing.

    You've even said that there's a problem, but you would have absolutely nothing remotely resembling a plan to correct it. Your plan is akin to wishing on a star and going to bed to dream of unicorns, rainbows, and the days when people suddenly aren't f'n stupid.

  4. #134
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    OMG- at work, a couple of weeks ago, I felt like I was in a Jerry Springer nightmare. My Gawd, some people make me embarrassed to be a human. Cripes!
    Ha. I have the same thoughts when I meet some of my kids' families. Holy crap. I think, "No wonder you act the way you do, little boy!"


  5. #135
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    I may agree... but that doesn't mean it isn't how it is right now.

    But yea there are billions of things. You aren't allowed to drive a car everywhere, not allowed have a bedroom without windows, etc. there are all sorts of regulations on almost everything you own.

    You own a pet, but you arn't allowed to harm it/torture it.
    Yes. That is because you don't really own them, regardless of how they're considered legally. They have rights to happiness and care, which are recognized, even as we continue to call them possessions.

    They are living things. I am guardian to my cat, not her owner. I don't care what the law says. That is the reality of it, and people who treat their animals otherwise are or should be prosecuted.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Medical technology is part of it, but not even the biggest part. It was the oil boom. Oil helped us produce tons of food and ship it to all corners of the world.
    I think medical technology has played a HUGE role, and the biggest. Look at maternal and fetal death rates. I know that sounds cold, and I would never want to deny anyone medical care. This is just an observation on my part.



    I feel quite conflicted on that issue. I ideologically distance myself significantly from pro-life nut cases on the religious right. Abortion itself though is kind of painful for me to think about. I don't have a strong belief about the point at which a ZEF becomes a life worthy of its own human rights independent of the mother that carries it. In short, I've put an immense amount of thought into it over the years and I just don't really know.
    I don't see how anyone could possibly call themselves "pro choice" if they are trying to take the choice of having a child away from some people. Just doesn't sound right, doesn't add up and sounds incredibly hypocritical IMHO.

  7. #137
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I get the desire to regulate reproduction. I've definitely made offhand remarks about making people take tests before they become parents after witnessing some particularly bad parenting in the families of some friends and acquaintances (or just looking at commercials for 'Teen Mom' on MTV). When it goes from just a frustrated remark to an actual policy consideration though, my tune changes.

    As far as dissuading and preventing people from becoming parents too soon, I think that can be done much in the same way education about safe sex has had a great deal of success in preventing the spread of STDs. I can't really speak a lot on what specific solutions I would advocate because I just haven't done a lot of research on the issue. Regardless, I think the best solution is to help people make the right choices rather than let government decide who does and doesn't have kids.
    I think some particularly self-destructive people should be offered money in exchange for undergoing long-term error-free birth control procedures. That keeps it voluntary, at least. That's why I love the idea of the link I included in my first post on this topic.

  8. #138
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Yeah, that clearly works. You'd have a better chance crossing all of your fingers, surrounding yourself in rabbits' feet and putting horseshoes around your neck. All you're doing is wishing.

    You've even said that there's a problem, but you would have absolutely nothing remotely resembling a plan to correct it. Your plan is akin to wishing on a star and going to bed to dream of unicorns, rainbows, and the days when people suddenly aren't f'n stupid.
    Okay, so if my plan is just "rainbows", what research/studies do you have to demonstrate the effectiveness of your plan?

  9. #139
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    I think some particularly self-destructive people should be offered money in exchange for undergoing long-term error-free birth control procedures. That keeps it voluntary, at least. That's why I love the idea of the link I included in my first post on this topic.
    I think that's a better idea than requiring licenses although I still like my ideas better.

  10. #140
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A license to have children [W:81]

    holy christmas 14 pages. i'm too drunk to read through it now. lol

    btw, i would support this in theory if i believed the government wasn;t completely inept. if people need a license to cut hair, it makes logical sense that some sort of standard should be in place for having children. afterall, i can think of no more important job than that.

Page 14 of 80 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •