View Poll Results: Should the government be allowed to forbid manatee riding?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, riding a manatee is guaranteed by the constitution

    4 9.52%
  • yes, the government can forbid manatee riding

    15 35.71%
  • the tea party has lost it's mind to campaign for manatee riding

    15 35.71%
  • I have a different opinion, see my remarks

    8 19.05%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 119

Thread: Should one be able to ride a manatee without interference from the government?

  1. #61
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,017

    Re: Should one be able to ride a manatee without interference from the government?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Just because it is illegal doesn't mean it should be illegal. Dumb laws can in fact be in place for decades.


    Just the fact that there is actually a law about this is absurdity.
    Yes, there are dumb laws but this law is not an absurd one. The sad fact that there is a need for this law, that is the absurd one but in an age of inconsiderate people and speedboats who blast across the waters it is a necessary law.

    The manatee is an endangered specie and if you need to protect it from idiots that harm, distress or bother these animals by law than so be it.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  2. #62
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,201

    Re: Should one be able to ride a manatee without interference from the government?

    Who cares about a manatee, aren't those the critters that are too stupid to keep from being hit by boat propellers? Perhaps their time is over.

  3. #63
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,201

    Re: Should one be able to ride a manatee without interference from the government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Yes, there are dumb laws but this law is not an absurd one. The sad fact that there is a need for this law, that is the absurd one but in an age of inconsiderate people and speedboats who blast across the waters it is a necessary law.

    The manatee is an endangered specie and if you need to protect it from idiots that harm, distress or bother these animals by law than so be it.
    The law can't protect them. If I hit one, I wouldn't say anything. It doesn't pay off. They will simply blow money messing with these idiot animals until they are all gone, meanwhile children are being treated far worse.

    This is an example of pure stupidity, caring about some worthless sea cow blowing money to protect it, showing it more humanity than we show humanity. this is a sign of total madness

  4. #64
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,888

    Re: Should one be able to ride a manatee without interference from the government?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    Who cares about a manatee, aren't those the critters that are too stupid to keep from being hit by boat propellers? Perhaps their time is over.
    Far from Stupid..

    Manatees are capable of understanding discrimination tasks, and show signs of complex associated learning and advanced long term memory. They demonstrate complex discrimination and task-learning similar to dolphins and pinnipeds in acoustic and visual studies.

    Manatees hear on a higher frequency than would be expected for such large marine mammals. Many large boats emit very low frequencies which confuse the manatee and explain their lack of awareness around boats. Research indicates that when a boat has a higher frequency the manatees rapidly swim away from danger. Their slow-moving, curious nature, coupled with dense coastal development, has led to many violent collisions with propeller-driven boats and ships, leading frequently to maiming, disfigurement, and even death.

  5. #65
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,201

    Re: Should one be able to ride a manatee without interference from the government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Far from Stupid..
    Yet not intelligent enough to move out of the way of a propeller? Fish can figure that one out, I wouldn't consider them very smart.

  6. #66
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,201

    Re: Should one be able to ride a manatee without interference from the government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Far from Stupid..
    sorry I just don't think it's wrong to ride the damn thing. it brings no harm to the animal.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,017

    Re: Should one be able to ride a manatee without interference from the government?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    The law can't protect them. If I hit one, I wouldn't say anything. It doesn't pay off. They will simply blow money messing with these idiot animals until they are all gone, meanwhile children are being treated far worse.

    This is an example of pure stupidity, caring about some worthless sea cow blowing money to protect it, showing it more humanity than we show humanity. this is a sign of total madness
    Yes, children need protecting, but we cannot ignore abusing manatees just because children also get abused/hurt.

    It is a sad fact that humans are so inhumane against other humans beings but that is no reason to stop protecting defenseless animals.

    The true madness is saying that protecting endangered animals is madness because of what happens to children. Money and effort has to be spent on both children and defenseless animals, even though protecting children has to be financed much more than defending manatees but both deserve our money and our help.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  8. #68
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,017

    Re: Should one be able to ride a manatee without interference from the government?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    Yet not intelligent enough to move out of the way of a propeller? Fish can figure that one out, I wouldn't consider them very smart.
    I would say people who ride or bother manatees are even less smart, can't they figure out that what they are doing is not very smart? Why don't they have the intelligence to let these creatures be?

    Why are people dumb enough to drink and drive?

    Personally, I think that humans are one of the most dumb creatures on this planet, if not the dumbest.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  9. #69
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,201

    Re: Should one be able to ride a manatee without interference from the government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Yes, children need protecting, but we cannot ignore abusing manatees just because children also get abused/hurt.

    It is a sad fact that humans are so inhumane against other humans beings but that is no reason to stop protecting defenseless animals.

    The true madness is saying that protecting endangered animals is madness because of what happens to children. Money and effort has to be spent on both children and defenseless animals, even though protecting children has to be financed much more than defending manatees but both deserve our money and our help.
    the pathetically dismal protection provided to children takes a backseat a damn critter. which could just as easily be a steak. things are in danger because they just haven't become extinct yet. if it needed to survive it wouldn't be endangered, it's called natural selection.

    I don't see any value in protecting it, really is the world were soft because condors are gone.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,017

    Re: Should one be able to ride a manatee without interference from the government?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    sorry I just don't think it's wrong to ride the damn thing. it brings no harm to the animal.
    What people think/assume and what is the truth is often miles apart. Fact is that this is an endangered species and riding one is a crime, just like drinking a few beers and driving is a crime. Almost never one hears a driver who is somewhat over the limit admitting that they were wrong in driving while impaired because they do not deem themselves drunk or a risk while operating a car, even though there is evidence to prove the contrary.

    The law is the law, drunk driving is illegal and so is riding manatees, people need to either accept that and behave accordingly or suffer the punishment/fine that comes with breaking that law.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •