View Poll Results: Do you think third parties should be allowed on the national debates?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    70 88.61%
  • No

    6 7.59%
  • I dont know

    3 3.80%
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 264

Thread: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,524

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Nope, we can make it more if need be.
    Who and how would that "need" be judged? What makes you choose "five"? Why is the 6th leading party not worthy of exposure by the default?

    I'm not saying your idea is bad. I'm saying that it's not solving many of the same issues you claim with the current system.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    55,032

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Uggh no thanks.
    Better than only allowing 2 parties.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #63
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    55,032

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Who and how would that "need" be judged? What makes you choose "five"?
    5 was an arbitrary number greater than two. I don't just want to get Libertarians into the debates, I want to get other opposing views in as well.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #64
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-05-18 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,862

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    So im taking a class called "Political Parties and Elections", and i was sitting in class today and i thought why should pretty popular 3rd parties not be allowed on the national debate?

    What are your thought; do you think third parties should be allowed on the national debates?
    What do we mean by allowed? they are certainly allowed now. However, there is no compulsion to make networks include them. As for ballots, what exactly are the laws governing them? We might consider changing some.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #65
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,740

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If you're ideas are so strong, popular and powerful, what do you have to fear from including others in a debate?
    It has nothing to do with fear and everything to do with concentrating on the views of the 2 canidates that generally represent 96-97% of the population. Already these debates seem to go by fast with short abbreviated answers to complicated questions. Either those abbreviated answers are shorter or the debate length is more than doubled.
    “People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.”
    *Adam Smith*

  6. #66
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    55,032

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Actually it sounds like you're looking for closed competition, just closed at a later point so your guy can get in.
    Not just my guy. But even if we didn't address the other plethora of problems plaguing our elections, ensuring that more than just the main parties are in the debate can go a long way to restoring political competition.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #67
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 01:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Better than only allowing 2 parties.
    Certainly better than 2 party only, very much staged debates, horse and pony shows.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #68
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,524

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If you're ideas are so strong, popular and powerful, what do you have to fear from including others in a debate?
    An ignorant assumption that ones belief on this is based on "fear".

    Debate times are limited. The american public's attention span is generally low. And we already have a massively underengaged voting base as is. Diluting an hour and a half debate by adding, lets say 3, additional voices to it...when those voices are found to be more attractive to less than 1% of the American public...could be viewed as doing a disservice to the political process and the American People. A person could believe that they don't need to be added to the debate because it would be a detriment to the political process rather than "fear". But because you have an agenda, you immedietely leap to demonize your opponent.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.

  9. #69
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    94,643
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If you're ideas are so strong, popular and powerful, what do you have to fear from including others in a debate?
    I do not. False argument. I support a threshold of some sort so the debate can serve a useful purpose. Any candidate from any party that can surpass that threshold can and should be able to debate.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    I’ve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  10. #70
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,524

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I don't see why y'all are so opposed to political competition.
    I can't answer that. Since it's a figment of you imagination that you've created in your head, only you can answer it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •