View Poll Results: Do you think third parties should be allowed on the national debates?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    70 88.61%
  • No

    6 7.59%
  • I dont know

    3 3.80%
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 264

Thread: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

  1. #51
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'm not looking for free handouts. I'm looking for free and open competition. But don't let that detour you from making snide comments that address nothing and deflect from points made.
    You have it. Gain support. Start by looking at what people in America actually find important, and stand for those things. Get rid of things from your platform that people are seriously opposed to. Until then you are never going to have any kind of support.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Top 5 parties by popular vote.
    Okay, an alternative has been given by at least one person. Now, let's use the standard arguments...

    That's not fair. It's gamining the system. Those parties outside of the top five are prohibited by the machines of the parties above them from gaining the support and access necessary to reach the top 5. It's a catch-22. You can't get into the top 5 of the popular vote because you're not allowed to get the same access as the other people, and because you don't have the same access you can't get into the top 5.

    What you propose isn't a solution, it's just the same system but presented in a way that's more beneficial to your particular interests. Many of the same complaints you and others lob out against the current system would still exist in the system you propose, it's just seemingly ignored because now your guys are in.

  3. #53
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'm not opposed to "free" handouts, not universally.
    Sorry, but you can't peg us all into square holes.
    That might explain the use of the word "usually". I put it in for a reason.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You have it. Gain support. Start by looking at what people in America actually find important, and stand for those things. Get rid of things from your platform that people are seriously opposed to. Until then you are never going to have any kind of support.
    If you're ideas are so strong, popular and powerful, what do you have to fear from including others in a debate?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #55
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Red and I have gone round about this before.
    He believes things are fine as is, I do not.

    Not much room there for alternatives.
    Cool. Good to know about you and Red.

    So what alternatives do you suggest that will fix the issues you claim are inherent in the current system? I'm asking you, not Red.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That might explain the use of the word "usually". I put it in for a reason.
    I know, but the main point was no less rude.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #57
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'm not looking for free handouts. I'm looking for free and open competition. But don't let that detour you from making snide comments that address nothing and deflect from points made.
    Actually it sounds like you're looking for closed competition, just closed at a later point so your guy can get in.

  8. #58
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Top 5 parties by popular vote.
    Uggh no thanks.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  9. #59
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Okay, an alternative has been given by at least one person. Now, let's use the standard arguments...

    That's not fair. It's gamining the system. Those parties outside of the top five are prohibited by the machines of the parties above them from gaining the support and access necessary to reach the top 5. It's a catch-22. You can't get into the top 5 of the popular vote because you're not allowed to get the same access as the other people, and because you don't have the same access you can't get into the top 5.

    What you propose isn't a solution, it's just the same system but presented in a way that's more beneficial to your particular interests. Many of the same complaints you and others lob out against the current system would still exist in the system you propose, it's just seemingly ignored because now your guys are in.
    There are lots of things to clean up. McCain-Feingold needs to be done away with, corporate contributions controlled, equal access to media, being allowed in the debates, etc. I'm all for major changes to our election sequence in order to ensure proper political competition.

    I don't see why y'all are so opposed to political competition.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #60
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Cool. Good to know about you and Red.

    So what alternatives do you suggest that will fix the issues you claim are inherent in the current system? I'm asking you, not Red.
    Those who qualify for a majority (51%) of state ballots, should be included.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •