View Poll Results: Do you think third parties should be allowed on the national debates?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    70 88.61%
  • No

    6 7.59%
  • I dont know

    3 3.80%
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 264

Thread: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

  1. #251
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Exactly, very true. Because the League of Women Voters allowed Ross to take part in the debate, the Republicans and Democrats grabbed the debats away from forming what they called a bipartisan debate committee. They did this voing that no third party candidate would ever be able to take part in the presidential debates again.

    Now the Republicans and Democrats write all the election laws and they do this as a mutual protection act. All election laws are designed to discourage a third party run and discourage is a very nice soft word to jury rigging the system in favor of the two major parties.

    Then your point about money, about a third party candidate having to be independently wealthy. Very true as the Republicans and Democrats have the big cash benifcators tied up. The special interests, lobbyist, corporations, Wall Street, super pacs, money bundlers, huge money donors etc. these are the people who have bought and paid for the two major parties to do their bidding. It is in the monied peoples interest to limit the system to two parties, they do not want to have to add or divide up their cash among a third party in an attempt to buy them too.
    And should another 3rd party come into power, they're going to do the exact same thing, and all the other little 1%ers out there are going to cry about it.

  2. #252
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Lets see here you said: "I didn't know there were armed guards keeping them out."
    Yes, where "them" = a party who had a right to be there. You have to earn 5% to have the right to debate. These guys did not have 5%, the better of the two had 1.5%, which means they did not have a right to be there. Thank you for proving my point.

  3. #253
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    And should another 3rd party come into power, they're going to do the exact same thing, and all the other little 1%ers out there are going to cry about it.
    So you are all for a system that guarentees who the winner will be of 400 out of 435 house seats due to gerrymandering. Jury rigging the elections if you will be fore the first votes are cast. You are for a system in which money and political negative ads decides the winner instead of character, ideas, solutions of the candidates. You are for any candidate of the two major parties being so indebted to special interests, big money that regardless of who is elected, they must take care of all those people who gave them the money first, the American people second if the American people rank that high.

    But alas, you are probably right, if a third party candidate won, the corupting influence of all the money involved would soon corupt them too. The founding fathers, the framers of the Constitution had it right, they feared political parties, they called them factions. The founding fathers and framers were afraid if political parties arose soon our elected officals would begin to put party over country, that has come to pass.

    It has been the Republicans and Demcrats that have gotting this country into the mess it is in today. They have no ideas or solutions to get us out of it. All they are worried about is the next election. But with our present system the two major parties have a monopoly on elections. In reality there is only one political party in the United States, but it has two wings, the Democratic and Republican wings. The folks with the money will ensure it reamins as such.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #254
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The government has no right to freedom of association.
    TV Networks do. If they wish to associate with only certain parties by including them and them alone in a debate, they're more than free to do so.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #255
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    What if they can't get the aggregated support everyone talks about as barrier to entry less they can compete openly and fairly?
    Then they don't get put on TV for the national debates. To my knowledge the national debates are not a legal thing, but rather a TV sponsored thing that have become the norm. There should be a screening process with the factor being public support/interest. Some party that exists to represent the rights of nematodes could start up. Just because they exist doesn't mean that they have an automatic right to be on the national debates.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #256
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,752

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    Of course third parties should be part of the national debate, but it doesn't matter, they will be as they have been, marginalized by the corporatist media and the corporatist campaign finance system.
    The third parties have consistently marginalized THEMSELVES. It is why they are irrelevant. That comes from someone that is a registered Libertarian and has in fact attended caucus meetings. There is a REASON why there is no real third party representation ANYWHERE. Very frustrating to see such potential squandered on single issue mentalities.

    Every once in a while, a third party will develop a little momentum...a respectable candidate. Rather than BUILD on that and address across the board issues...they piss it away by their candidate and platform choices.

  7. #257
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Then they don't get put on TV for the national debates. To my knowledge the national debates are not a legal thing, but rather a TV sponsored thing that have become the norm. There should be a screening process with the factor being public support/interest. Some party that exists to represent the rights of nematodes could start up. Just because they exist doesn't mean that they have an automatic right to be on the national debates.
    And it's also no reason to exclude ALL the third parties. So we can tit for tat on this all day if you want. But in the end, open political competition is a necessity for a free Republic. There is no reason it should only be two just because it was those two that made all the rules to exclude the others. "They can't go on the debates until they generate the support they'd need to be on the debates in order to generate" argument is completely illogical and no one has given any answer other than "nan nan nan nan na boo boo, it's our way so suck it" argument.

    With the way in which the debates and press dominate the course of the elections, it is imperative to have open and free competition. There is no reason to hide options from the People, other than protecting the status quo.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #258
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    So you are all for a system that guarentees who the winner will be of 400 out of 435 house seats due to gerrymandering. Jury rigging the elections if you will be fore the first votes are cast. You are for a system in which money and political negative ads decides the winner instead of character, ideas, solutions of the candidates. You are for any candidate of the two major parties being so indebted to special interests, big money that regardless of who is elected, they must take care of all those people who gave them the money first, the American people second if the American people rank that high.

    But alas, you are probably right, if a third party candidate won, the corupting influence of all the money involved would soon corupt them too. The founding fathers, the framers of the Constitution had it right, they feared political parties, they called them factions. The founding fathers and framers were afraid if political parties arose soon our elected officals would begin to put party over country, that has come to pass.

    It has been the Republicans and Demcrats that have gotting this country into the mess it is in today. They have no ideas or solutions to get us out of it. All they are worried about is the next election. But with our present system the two major parties have a monopoly on elections. In reality there is only one political party in the United States, but it has two wings, the Democratic and Republican wings. The folks with the money will ensure it reamins as such.
    I'm less concerned about party and more concerned with lean. Most of our representatives today are liberals. Liberal democrats want a nanny state. Liberal republicans want massive military and forign aid.

    I don't support either one. Liberals suck regardless of the party they belong to. If the next President is a Liberal Democrat like Obama, a Liberal Republican like Bush, or some Liberal Liberiterian or Liberal Green Party...it's still a Liberal and so it's still the wrong answer.

    Give me the Conservative Democrat who supports abortion and reinforces the importance of waiting to have sex, knowledge and importance of using BC, and of people acting more responsible for their lives even if they still choose abortion. Give me the Conservative Democrat who wants to strengthen NICS for gun buyers but reasserts, through tangible legal action, the right of any citizen who passes all such screening to own virtually any firearm their heart desires. Give me the Conservative Democrat who support same-sex marriage but also addresses the 50% divorce rate, and for the same reason: healthy marriages are good for society.

    I will take the Conservative over the Liberal every day of the week, even when the Conservative comes from a party I don't otherwise agree with. Liberals are always divisive, always polarizing, always negative and on the attack. Liberals are a hateful breed. Hell, of the lowest, most destructive economic styles, the socialist, give me the Conservative from among them who will actually balance the budget while establishing the nanny state; if the nanny state is to be then let it be for a thousand years in peace.

    There are bigger concerns than party, more important things than recreational drug use.

    Besides, I'm half convinced America would be better served by a Parliament than a President anyway.
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-25-13 at 10:10 PM.

  9. #259
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Liberals are always divisive, always polarizing, always negative and on the attack. Liberals are a hateful breed. Hell, of the lowest, most destructive economic styles, the socialist, give me the Conservative from among them who will actually balance the budget while establishing the nanny state; if the nanny state is to be then let it be for a thousand years in peace.
    You forgot that we eat babies, don't forget that we eat babies Jerry. Now go fetch me a toothpick, Hatuey had a big meal of fetus in chianti.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #260
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,363
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You forgot that we eat babies, don't forget that we eat babies Jerry. Now go fetch me a toothpick, Hatuey had a big meal of fetus in chianti.
    Can you pass me the constitution, I need to whipe my ass.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •