View Poll Results: Do you think third parties should be allowed on the national debates?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    70 88.61%
  • No

    6 7.59%
  • I dont know

    3 3.80%
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 264

Thread: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

  1. #141
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The debates are functionally limited to two people. This is just measured fact.
    No, they are limited to those who poll above 15 %. Poll above 15 % and you are in.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #142
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Except that the debates happen after they got enough support for inclusion.
    Exactly. The Debates are where candidates can really showcase their political platform and directly interact, respond, and defend their positions from others. It is one of the major forums to gain support. Thus "support" is deemed before hand and the bar set so high that others cannot get in. In this way, you restrict political competition and prevent opposing views from having access to the venues best established to garner support.

    The debates are where you get support, but you must have support before you are allowed in the debates. That is the Catch-22 you endorse.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #143
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, they are limited to those who poll above 15 %. Poll above 15 % and you are in.
    Which functionally restricts it to just the two. This is measured fact.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #144
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Which functionally restricts it to just the two. This is measured fact.
    Except that is not the case. All you have to do is get support before the debates even happen. Get people to agree with you and you are in. Make your own debates and you are in. Lots of ways to be included.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #145
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Through rules restricting their campaign finance, to refusal by media to cover all the candidates, to the purposeful construct of the debates to forbid third party competition.
    I'm not talking about the ability to get on national debates, I am talking about the 3rd party platforms that don't resonate with more than a handful of voters. Isn't that the biggest obstacle?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #146
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Except that is not the case. All you have to do is get support before the debates even happen. Get people to agree with you and you are in. Make your own debates and you are in. Lots of ways to be included.
    Yes, through a restricted forum wherein you cannot possibly hope to garner 15% popular vote, garner that 15% popular vote and you're in. Never mind the fact that the debates are a major venue for garnering support in the first place and that various restrictions from campaign finance to media black out prevents you from getting your message out to get that 15%. Just get that 15% that is unobtainable and you're in.

    Do you ever listen to the words that come out of your mouth?

    Another thing I'd change, is I'd take control of the Presidential Debates from the government (it's kinda of ridiculous that the establishment can make up the rules for participation in the first place) and return it to the League of Women Voters.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #147
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I'm not talking about the ability to get on national debates, I am talking about the 3rd party platforms that don't resonate with more than a handful of voters. Isn't that the biggest obstacle?
    It's hard to say. Is that from disconnects of the political platform or because the system is rigged against their participation and getting their message out? If it were a free and open system, we'd know better.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #148
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,903

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    What are your thought; do you think third parties should be allowed on the national debates?
    Yes, they should. Maybe then we would see debates with real substance.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  9. #149
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yes, through a restricted forum wherein you cannot possibly hope to garner 15% popular vote, garner that 15% popular vote and you're in. Never mind the fact that the debates are a major venue for garnering support in the first place and that various restrictions from campaign finance to media black out prevents you from getting your message out to get that 15%. Just get that 15% that is unobtainable and you're in.

    Do you ever listen to the words that come out of your mouth?

    Another thing I'd change, is I'd take control of the Presidential Debates from the government (it's kinda of ridiculous that the establishment can make up the rules for participation in the first place) and return it to the League of Women Voters.
    So tell me this: how are the debates getting you support before the debates take place?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #150
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should 3rd Parties Be Allowed on the National Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So tell me this: how are the debates getting you support before the debates take place?
    They can't, and there's the rub. That's your Catch-22. Are you still unable to see this? The elections do not happen before the debates. You need support come ELECTION time. The debates are one of the best venues to gain that support. But you're putting a requirement that they have support before the elections, support they cannot gain on the national level without being included at the national level. But your inclusion is based on support they cannot get until they are included. Catch-22.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •