View Poll Results: Does "white privilege exist"?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it is a problem we should fight to fix.

    34 35.42%
  • Yes, but it is not an issue. Whites should have first privilege in nations they built.

    4 4.17%
  • No, white privilege does not exist

    58 60.42%
Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 467

Thread: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?[W: 356]

  1. #421
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,047

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    1.) false unless you consider the dictionary and factual meanings of words biased LMAO
    I didnt deny anything I in fact said that you are being overly simplistic. You going on about dictionaries is just bazaar and had nothing to do with what i said.
    2.) false this is what you want it to mean in an attempt to dismiss the facts but it doent and never did
    And what are those facts?
    3.) why are you lying, AGAIN no BS, again words, and sentences have meanings.

    its existence is a fact
    how much of it is present, where and when and why is subjective

    this is basic common sense and doesnt mean anything close to the lie you just stated
    I am criticizing a term but you see that as lying. I see though you are trying to get me back for pointing out your lies about my actual statements. I guess that you believe that will work in a debate?

    4.) feel free to ADD that term if you like but i all the terms i used are already proper.
    In-group favoritism and ethnocentrism are the actual terms used for discussing the issues at hand of course with an view point on racism. its impossible to engage in a intelligent conversation without addressing those terms.

    5.) another lie, you say this yet you are the one going off topic and i never did
    Its a lie! Its a lie! nice comeback. I didnt go off topic you were just lack the knowledge to understand that I am at the meat of the topic.

    the reality is, it is that simply since the discussion is does it exist.

    It does, thats a proven fact.

    If there are other topics youd like to discuss feel free, they wont impact this already established and proven fact
    Ok so now you are making a positive claim and even assert that there are readily available facts. Again I do not dispute that privilege exists (though you keep trying to tell me that I did claim that) WHat I do actually dispute is that the term "white privilege" is a accurate term. I am making the claim that the term "white privilege" on its own is a racist slur and that other more appropriate terms are used in sociology.



    Its ok for people of western European descent to want to around others that look like them. This is completely natural though not universal. There does come a point where such behavior becomes racism but then its racism not ethnocentrism, there is a difference look it up.

    In-group favoritism isnt just related to how people look. There are many groups with mixed back grounds that treat other like minded people with favoritism.

    The color of a person skins isnt the end all factor that creates privileges among groups. The problem with assuming that skin color is the main cause of privilege ignores all other factors that influence peoples decision making. That isnt to say that some people do not make decisions based on skin color alone. But the assertion that "white" people as a majority do make decisions in mainstream society based on skin color alone ignores the other elements and pretends that they do not exist. For example skin color prejudice may have been present but was not exclusively the reasoning behind a decision.

    I am not sure why you feel it is necessary for you to cram your opinions down my throat and frankly I dont really care. Believe whatever you want, believe that this is a simple closed case without complicated dynamics if you want. But smileys and insults are weakening your case. There certainly is more to this than just skin color. And for the last time I never denied that white people can be racist nor do I deny that a race can play favoritism. Perhaps you live in a world where your imagination rules over reality but I do not. I recognize a multifaceted complicated situation when I see it. And racism is always complicated otherwise it would simply disappear.

  2. #422
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Try an uniformed guess then. Is it "white" privledge as you call it or more the founding or dominate cultures "institutional advantage". The US was essintially founded by white european christens with paternalistic bent, yes? Does it not stand to reason that a countries foundational culture and morais, is reflected in its institutions and dominate culture? That most every country has a dominate culture, that determines the norms of that country? Would that just be simply the standard dynamic whatever country and its dominate culture and founding precepts. The reason I ask these questions is because I am fairly well traveled, having been to Africa, the Middle East and Europe and most every state of the union barring Alaska and Hawaii. I have experianced the diffent dynamics of different countries and cultures. "Institutional advantage" is what I call it. Its pervasive in every country and culture. Its a natural, abet unfair tendency of man. Fact is whether you like it or not that advantage to some degree is pretty much ALWAYS going to exist in one form or another though not nessearilly in the current forms or by the curent cultures. ALMOST ALL cultures do this. So more so than others. The United States version is actually fairlly mild. We in our country are EXCEPTIONALY mild point of fact. The point I am attempting to make is the "white privaledge" you experiance is not excactly that per say, but more of the dominate culture and its influence on the norms of society and its institutions. So really "white priveledge" as you put it, is nothing more than a phenominom of a currently dominate culture. Take California for instance, the primary culure has been the white protestent paternal version(s). But as of late it has been slowly changing to one more of a hispanic cultural bent. This has to do with the population change we are exepriancing. Right now "Hispanics" and "whites" are at parity with the trend saying toward the end of this year or next the hispanic population exceeding the white population. As that occures the culture will start to focus more to a hispanic mindset and less a white mindset. This is resulting in more hispanic "institutional advantage".
    You are prety much correct, except that there is really no practical difference "between white" privledge as you call it or more the founding or dominate cultures "institutional advantage."" They are just different names for the phenomena, except that one sounds like racism and the other seems to just be the norm to the privileged person. To the person who is disadvantaged, there is no difference at all.

    The fact that a phenomena is natural and widespread does not mean it shouldn't, or can't be changed.
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 02-22-13 at 03:10 PM.

  3. #423
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    I didnt deny anything I in fact said that you are being overly simplistic. You going on about dictionaries is just bazaar and had nothing to do with what i said.
    And what are those facts?
    I am criticizing a term but you see that as lying. I see though you are trying to get me back for pointing out your lies about my actual statements. I guess that you believe that will work in a debate?

    In-group favoritism and ethnocentrism are the actual terms used for discussing the issues at hand of course with an view point on racism. its impossible to engage in a intelligent conversation without addressing those terms.

    Its a lie! Its a lie! nice comeback. I didnt go off topic you were just lack the knowledge to understand that I am at the meat of the topic.

    Ok so now you are making a positive claim and even assert that there are readily available facts. Again I do not dispute that privilege exists (though you keep trying to tell me that I did claim that) WHat I do actually dispute is that the term "white privilege" is a accurate term. I am making the claim that the term "white privilege" on its own is a racist slur and that other more appropriate terms are used in sociology.



    Its ok for people of western European descent to want to around others that look like them. This is completely natural though not universal. There does come a point where such behavior becomes racism but then its racism not ethnocentrism, there is a difference look it up.

    In-group favoritism isnt just related to how people look. There are many groups with mixed back grounds that treat other like minded people with favoritism.

    The color of a person skins isnt the end all factor that creates privileges among groups. The problem with assuming that skin color is the main cause of privilege ignores all other factors that influence peoples decision making. That isnt to say that some people do not make decisions based on skin color alone. But the assertion that "white" people as a majority do make decisions in mainstream society based on skin color alone ignores the other elements and pretends that they do not exist. For example skin color prejudice may have been present but was not exclusively the reasoning behind a decision.

    I am not sure why you feel it is necessary for you to cram your opinions down my throat and frankly I dont really care. Believe whatever you want, believe that this is a simple closed case without complicated dynamics if you want. But smileys and insults are weakening your case. There certainly is more to this than just skin color. And for the last time I never denied that white people can be racist nor do I deny that a race can play favoritism. Perhaps you live in a world where your imagination rules over reality but I do not. I recognize a multifaceted complicated situation when I see it. And racism is always complicated otherwise it would simply disappear.
    LMAO

    well im done addressing all this individually so ill just state the only thing that matters and that is on topic.

    I read this whole post and it changes NOTHING, not one thing is changed by your post

    this is all that is needed said to your nonsense and opinions

    "white privileged factually exist"

    let me know when you can prove otherwise. Like i said, ill never post again and ill give you 100$ through my paypal account

    also if you dont like your posts being called a lie, dont post lies simple solution
    Last edited by AGENT J; 02-22-13 at 03:16 PM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #424
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I figured you would not understand my response.
    I understood it just fine. I also understand that 13 - 8 = 5 without having to have someone else poitn it out to me. Yay for me!


    And the length makes it even worse.
    So 23.54 posts per day (on average) is worse than 30+ per day (on average. I'm not going to bother explaining why the 'on average' makes a difference, cause I'm certain you wouldn't be able to follow that explanation, but suffice to say, it does matter)?

    How do you figure?

    That means you have been averaging (by my quick calculation) over 23 posts per day not for 3 1/2 years...but for 4 1/2 years.
    23.54 to be precise. If you understood how averages work, you might be able to figure out why your dazzling math fail is also dazzlingly irrelevant.

    But do you not think it's worse to not be able to subtract 8 from 13 than it is to post often on a website designed for debate?

    Sad.
    Don't be sad. It could be a lot worse for me. I could be incapable of performing simple arithmetic and have very poor grammar skills, for example.

    But it does explain a lot.
    I'm sure it had to explain it very slowly, though.

    Have a nice day.
    Kim Jong Il say: "Passive aggression is best aggression."
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #425
    Professor Knowledge=power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-23-14 @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,398

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Couldn't disagree more.

    First of all, America is considered to be the "melting pot", so if that rings true, there really can't be a dominant culture. Also, what is considered "white culture"? Country music? CNN? Coca-Cola? NASCAR? White culture seems to change constantly, as it will occasionally integrate what is considered another culture into its ranks. It really doesn't have a key identifying factor. Now if you said "malt liquor and menthols" or "posses and pregnant teens", you know what they represent. What identity does white culture have?

    Second, America does pretty good in balance between commerce and multiculturalism. We don't let it run free like Europe does - and thank God. Look at the more multicultural nations in Europe and see what kinds of troubles they have. In America, the most important color is green. In addition, with the names reference Tucker gave, there's really nothing that says a name that could pass for a Zulu village is indicative of a white person. I've seen some names with 5 or 6 vowels in them, and the person is whiter than snow.

    Racism still exists, and probably always will. There's no way around that. However, we've found ways around "white privilege", and things like Affirmative Action are simply not needed because of acceptance on a larger scale than non-economic social circles.
    Growing up having nothing to do with any civil rights issues, discriminatory practices, etc, I feel pretty discriminated against when there are things like Black Entertainment Television, United Negro College Fund, Ebony Magazine, Black history month, etc etc etc. Could there be White Entertainment Television? United White College Fund? I don't think so. You can't even say 'black' anymore without someone accusing you of being racist. Companies have 'diversity' policies and will hire someone over you because of their skin color. Is that not blatant discrimination?

  6. #426
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,047

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    LMAO

    well im done addressing all this individually so ill just state the only thing that matters and that is on topic.

    I read this whole post and it changes NOTHING, not one thing is changed by your post

    this is all that is needed said to your nonsense and opinions

    "white privileged factually exist"

    let me know when you can prove otherwise. Like i said, ill never post again and ill give you 100$ through my paypal account

    also if you dont like your posts being called a lie, dont post lies simple solution
    I did not lie at all I instead shared opinions on the subject. You did not agree with my opinions and to you that somehow makes them lies. That is a very strange twist of reality but whatever dude. ANd that offer of money is silliness as well and down right comical relief. The humor is that you want me to prove a claim that I was not making and I presume from this offer that you really do not understand sociology much. I made the claim that the terminology was incorrect and that the subject was much more complex than what is being presented by the proponents of the term "white privilege" are narrating. And from that all you can do is concentrate on whether you think that I am for or against the existence of "white privilege". All I tried to do was to dig deeper than the parroted conversations that exist around this subject and you just waved your arms in the air instead. Fine I get it you dont want to go in depth you only want a yes or no type of conversation. Oh well I tried....

  7. #427
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    I did not lie at all I instead shared opinions on the subject. You did not agree with my opinions and to you that somehow makes them lies. That is a very strange twist of reality but whatever dude. ANd that offer of money is silliness as well and down right comical relief. The humor is that you want me to prove a claim that I was not making and I presume from this offer that you really do not understand sociology much. I made the claim that the terminology was incorrect and that the subject was much more complex than what is being presented by the proponents of the term "white privilege" are narrating. And from that all you can do is concentrate on whether you think that I am for or against the existence of "white privilege". All I tried to do was to dig deeper than the parroted conversations that exist around this subject and you just waved your arms in the air instead. Fine I get it you dont want to go in depth you only want a yes or no type of conversation. Oh well I tried....
    nope you lied about my words a couple times, seems you bias has you so bland you dont even know what you are reading, you have often tried to restate what i said and failed miserably they way you apply it and you do it so illogically.

    you even do it here so bad, you make stuff up in your head that you think is true and its 100% false LMAO
    heres examples:

    1.)"You did not agree with my opinions and to you that somehow makes them lies."
    100% false what i called lies were lies or they were ingorance of understanding what was actually said, pick one
    havinf a different OPINION has nothing to do with lies

    2.) I made the claim that the terminology was incorrect and that the subject was much more complex than what is being presented by the proponents of the term "white privilege" are narrating. And from that all you can do is concentrate on whether you think that I am for or against the existence of "white privilege".

    wrong again, i dont care if you think or dont think it exists because it does, you believein git or not is meaningless to me.

    3.)All I tried to do was to dig deeper than the parroted conversations that exist around this subject and you just waved your arms in the air instead. Fine I get it you dont want to go in depth you only want a yes or no type of conversation. Oh well I tried....

    there no deep to go when the question is does it exist, theres only one factual answer and thats yes

    when you asked if thing similar exist for OTHER groups my answer was yes but that has nothign to do with the topic, so thats not "going deeper", its trying to start a new topic

    So again let me know when you can disprove the facts.

    Of start a new thread and you can make that thread about anything you want
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #428
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge=power View Post
    Growing up having nothing to do with any civil rights issues, discriminatory practices, etc, I feel pretty discriminated against when there are things like Black Entertainment Television, United Negro College Fund, Ebony Magazine, Black history month, etc etc etc. Could there be White Entertainment Television? United White College Fund? I don't think so. You can't even say 'black' anymore without someone accusing you of being racist. Companies have 'diversity' policies and will hire someone over you because of their skin color. Is that not blatant discrimination?
    Assuming this isn't satire, the reason BET, Black History month, etc. exist is to fill the ABSENCE of black people in entertainment, societal conversations about history and the like. White people don't need a single channel dedicated to them because white people have nearly every other channel on television. It would be nonsensical for white people to have a "United White People College Fund" because white people have not been historically shut out of higher education. It would be nonsensical to have an "Ivory Magazine" because almost every other magazine primarily features white people.

    Do you get it yet?

  9. #429
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    White History month is January, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December, and sometimes even February as well.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #430
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    White History month is January, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December, and sometimes even February as well.
    Considering that the entirety of the shortest month of the year thus far has consisted of white people raving about Abraham Lincoln while barely, if at all, acknowledging any of the black people who had a role in the end of slavery, that's the complete truth.

Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •