View Poll Results: Does "white privilege exist"?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it is a problem we should fight to fix.

    34 35.42%
  • Yes, but it is not an issue. Whites should have first privilege in nations they built.

    4 4.17%
  • No, white privilege does not exist

    58 60.42%
Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 467

Thread: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?[W: 356]

  1. #401
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    1.)Emperical proof has not been given, in fact NO proof has been given.
    2.)Wheres the documentation to back it up? Someones opinion of what happen to them is not fact. Stories are NOT fact.
    3.)This topic has been around for some time. You would think there would have been studies on it. I am asking for data.
    4.)I am asking for PROOF. No proof, no facts, just supossition of your OPINION. Prove your asseration. Prove there is white privaledge.
    5.)Not racisim, white priveledge. Theres a big difference.
    6.)The more I look the more I think you got NO case. Where's the lawsuits? Wheres the the studies? Wheres the data proving your point.
    7.)You have brought to the table NOTHING.
    1.) this is a lie has supported by the definition of Empirical proof i gave you
    2.)documentation is NOT needed
    3.) very possible, it has factually existed since americas birth
    4.) "proof" has already been factually given and you have been told how to obtain more factuall proof. You want a scientific study, i dont have one but that doesnt the fact proof as been given and you have been told how to obtain more.
    5.) racism by the minority is white privileged LMAO you keep ignoring this eventhough its been pointed out by many posters, its not some made up thing you wanted to be. So NO there is no BIG difference.
    6.) your opinion is meaningless to the facts and there have been laws suits over discrimination, are you kidding me? LMAO
    7.) this is another lie, me and other poster have brought facts and proof to the table and you have been shown how to get more proof. You not accepting this or denying it changes nothing your dishonest and ignorance of even the definition of your own words you are using is not my problem LOL

    hold your breath, stomp your feet by DEFINITION empirical proof and facts have been provided no matter what your false opinion is

    now because you dont like it you want scientific proof in addition to the facts and proof that have already been posted, well go get some

    this is basically what you are doing, posters have given you two bats and have given your friend two more bats, they tell you to put them in them in a pile and count them, you come up with 4, they showed you that 2 + 2 = 4 but now you want scientific studies and documentation. LOL well thats fine but the fact remains proof and facts have already been given to you.

    good luck in your quest, facts wont change though.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #402
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Did you expect different? There is a pattern of behavior going on here, if you haven't noticed.


    In any event, no, I voted with the majority here, that this nonsensical identity politics movement is a steaming crock of warmed over turd. Conceptually, it is bankrupt. It as, as someone else put it, the race card by another name.
    links to this? proof? facts?

    thats right you got nothing
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #403
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Dude, I provided ample studies on this and there are hundreds more. If you looked at the studies I provided and if you've done even more research and you've found little evidence of white privilege, then it's safe to say that you are being willfully ignorant.

    And LOL at you saying I tried to "box you in as a closest racist". I literally have no idea how you came to that conclusion, but I suspect it's from the same distorted thought process that led you to believe I'm arguing that "life is simple."

    It's pretty clear that you aren't coming at this topic from a place of reason and, as I told another poster, since I can't work with that, this will be my last response to you. I do hope, however, that you will become aware of whatever psychological block may be preventing you from examining this topic honest and that, when you are ready, you will re-examine the well-documented, well-researched phenomenon that we are talking about.
    some posters just like to make stuff up and ignore facts when it doesnt match their illogical and unsupportable opinion. its entertaining.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #404
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    some posters just like to make stuff up and ignore facts when it doesnt match their illogical and unsupportable opinion. its entertaining.
    Yeah. I find this entire thread exceptionally amusing.

  5. #405
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Dude, I provided ample studies on this and there are hundreds more. If you looked at the studies I provided and if you've done even more research and you've found little evidence of white privilege, then it's safe to say that you are being willfully ignorant.

    And LOL at you saying I tried to "box you in as a closest racist". I literally have no idea how you came to that conclusion, but I suspect it's from the same distorted thought process that led you to believe I'm arguing that "life is simple."

    It's pretty clear that you aren't coming at this topic from a place of reason and, as I told another poster, since I can't work with that, this will be my last response to you. I do hope, however, that you will become aware of whatever psychological block may be preventing you from examining this topic honest and that, when you are ready, you will re-examine the well-documented, well-researched phenomenon that we are talking about.
    To be fair, though, I used to think like many of the people here when I was younger. I was angry about things like affirmative action and felt like white people today were being blamed for the sins of white people in the past. In fact, I felt as though I was being blamed for the racial disparities in American life, and I was angered by this because I don't even have an ancestral link to America's racial problems since my ancestors first got to this country shortly before I was born. I was even a bit racist, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I've moved much further along the path described by Helms' white racial identity development model since those days (when I was in the contact and disintegration stages of white identity development).

    The person I was then would have argued vehemently with the person I am today. I'm not sure that there is any way to really convince someone who is fully entrenched in one of those earlier stages of white identity development that certain things exist. The resistance is often based on their own feelings of persecution for being white. They want the world to just "get over it already" and they feel unjustly blamed for the racial issues that exist in the US. And to be fair, they are unjustly blamed for some things. Most of them will have had some encounter in their life with a black person in the Immersion/emersion stage of Black racial identity development (Cross) which is the stage that the stereotyped "militant black man" would be found. People in that stage will unjustly blame white individuals for all sorts of societal injustices.

    It's hard to really blame someone for their resistance to the idea of white privilege. Some people are simply not able to acknowledge it.

    And the thing to remember about these development models is that, while some people may move through all of the stages in their life as I have, some people will spend their entire lives in just one or two stages, and some people start off at "higher" stages than others. Some even start out "higher" and then "regress" to "lower" stages, while others may start out at the "lowest" stage and skip over multiple steps to reach the "highest" stage. Everyone is different. Although it is pretty easy to figure out where people are in their identity development by using these models as a guide. It certainly alleviates frustration when you know exactly what a person is capable of acknowledging in these debates.

    You aren't going to convince anyone that white privilege exists if they are not "ready" to acknowledge it. The value of these debates is usually not found with the person you are debating with directly, but is instead found with the person who is ready to make progress along their own path of racial identity development. Often they will read what you have said, or the studies you have cited, and become more aware than they were previously. That doesn't mean there is anything inherently "wrong" with a person who is in an earlier stage and unready to progress. They are limited in a way that is actually quite common. I went through that time myself. Some of them will one day be ready to move on, others will never be ready.

    The thing that does bothers me about these debates, though, is that many of the unready people have the totally misguided idea that what I say on this topic is "liberal" in nature.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #406
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Why thank you. I love to start my days with passive aggressive niceties.
    Passive aggressive? There you go again - telling others what they think instead of just asking them.

    On the contrary.

    My wishing you a nice day is 100% sincere.

    And I hold no animosity towards you.

    Pity, maybe (30+ posts a day for over 3 1/2 years and seemingly rather trollish in your behaviour...you must have a rather empty life).

    But no animosity.

    And it does me no good for you to have a bad day.


    Anyway, back to the subject.


    Have a nice day.
    Last edited by DA60; 02-22-13 at 11:27 AM.

  7. #407
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,041

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    1.)it has a uniform definition. look up privilege, its that simple
    No it is not that simple at all. You just want to believe that it is simple.
    2.) it doesnt accuse a whole race of racism, thats nonsense lol
    Perhaps not an entire race but the the term makes it clear that we are talking about one specific cline and that is people with a shin color that can be said to appear white.
    3.) again its NOT against all white people LMAO nor does it have to do with the whole race being racist, thats is also nonsenical. You do know the majority of people in this thread that acknowledge the fact its exists are white right? Seems you are making a lot of stuff up.
    The term "white privilege" is aimed entirely at the people that have ancestors that come from Western Europe, it is a accusation based solely as a racist based definition. People with other clines are entirely out of the picture. People with ancestors from Western Africa cannot be engaging in "white privilege" based on the fact that they do not have the same clines as Western Europeans descendants.

    ANd just because you put worth on the so called race of other posters really means nothing. So some are white who cares? Is that supposed to make me get with the program?

    And what am I making up specifically?
    4.) its not subjective, its factual and its racism
    At one point you said that it was subjective and now you turn around and claim that its "factual and its racism". Could you make up your mind?

    like i said this is all you need to ask yourself:

    are there any factual stories, reports that people were hired, promoted, treated special etc etc etc simply because they were white? yes therefore it exists

    anything else you try to make up or add to it is on you and has nothgin to do with it factually still existing.

    WHat part arent you getting?
    Yes factually speaking there is a thing called racial prejudice. Which is what we are actually talking about here when we can show evidence of unethical hiring practices, promotions, special treatment, housing etc based on skin color. The fact that people with white skin engage in such activity on a larger basis because people with white skin are the majority does not warrant a term just for them. Which is my point, that we are actually talking about a social phenomena called racial privilege that happens with all walks of life no matter what skin color we have.

    But you seem caught up in believing that I am denying a social construct but I am actually denying the racial slur called "white privilege" since all humans engage in the same damn behavioral afflictions. The world is grey right? Then why are you singling out people with white skin as the bad guys? Is it because the majority of Americans have white skin? Do you deny that people with other skin colors engage in giving other people with the same skin color privileges? Are you accusing whole skinned people of being the only people in America capable or more prone to racism? If not why must you only talk about "white privilege" and not talk about "racial privilege" as a affliction of all humans?

  8. #408
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    1.)No it is not that simple at all. You just want to believe that it is simple.

    2.)Perhaps not an entire race but the the term makes it clear that we are talking about one specific cline and that is people with a shin color that can be said to appear white.
    The term "white privilege" is aimed entirely at the people that have ancestors that come from Western Europe, it is a accusation based solely as a racist based definition. People with other clines are entirely out of the picture. People with ancestors from Western Africa cannot be engaging in "white privilege" based on the fact that they do not have the same clines as Western Europeans descendants.

    ANd just because you put worth on the so called race of other posters really means nothing. So some are white who cares? Is that supposed to make me get with the program?

    And what am I making up specifically?

    3.) At one point you said that it was subjective and now you turn around and claim that its "factual and its racism". Could you make up your mind?



    4.)Yes factually speaking there is a thing called racial prejudice. Which is what we are actually talking about here when we can show evidence of unethical hiring practices, promotions, special treatment, housing etc based on skin color. The fact that people with white skin engage in such activity on a larger basis because people with white skin are the majority does not warrant a term just for them. Which is my point, that we are actually talking about a social phenomena called racial privilege that happens with all walks of life no matter what skin color we have.

    5.)But you seem caught up in believing that I am denying a social construct but I am actually denying the racial slur called "white privilege" since all humans engage in the same damn behavioral afflictions. The world is grey right? Then why are you singling out people with white skin as the bad guys? Is it because the majority of Americans have white skin? Do you deny that people with other skin colors engage in giving other people with the same skin color privileges? Are you accusing whole skinned people of being the only people in America capable or more prone to racism? If not why must you only talk about "white privilege" and not talk about "racial privilege" as a affliction of all humans?
    1.) yes it is, thats a fact i tend to just go by what words FACTUALLY mean not opinion and guess and philophy. It is that easy. YOU are looking for something not be discussed and making it harder cause thats what YOU want. I am supported by reality and the meaning of words.

    2.) thers no perhaps at about it, its a fact it doesnt mean the entire white race is racist LOL

    also not some all but ONE as far as i know and its not about getting with the program (which is very telling to your biased dishonesty view) its about the fact that if it was used to BASH a whole race and make them look bad way would all the white people acknowledge the fact it exists LMAO

    you are making up that it means all whites are racist and that all rights participate in and or receive it, this is simply not true

    3.) no i never did, YOU misunderstood what i called a fact and what i called subjective

    its a fact it exists
    its subjective to what extent, how much, where, who and why its happens

    try to keep up and not let things blend together sine you have obviously already made up your mind no matter what facts you are presented with

    4.)nope, there no BIGGER IMAGINARY thing going on its just racism conducted by people belonging to the majority

    fact remains it exists, you not liking the term is meaningless, the term hurting your feelings is also meaningless.

    5.)and yes, i have said many times with many other posters lots of other bigotry, misogyny, privileged, special treatment, favoritism, discrimination exists also, it doesnt change the fact that white privileged exist.

    so im not caught up on anything im staying on topic and talking about things that matter to this topic. Nobody is singling out anybody this is another lie.

    we are talking about white privileged because its the OPs questions and the title of the thread LMAO

    if you would like to talk about a different topic make a thread about it

    try to keep up because you have factually been proven wrong and are just making stuff up based on false assumptions that plainly and simply is not happening. Honesty will serve you better the kneejerk illogical emotion.

    Oh by the way, fact remains it exists
    not sure why this fact bothers you
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #409
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    To be fair, though, I used to think like many of the people here when I was younger. I was angry about things like affirmative action and felt like white people today were being blamed for the sins of white people in the past. In fact, I felt as though I was being blamed for the racial disparities in American life, and I was angered by this because I don't even have an ancestral link to America's racial problems since my ancestors first got to this country shortly before I was born. I was even a bit racist, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I've moved much further along the path described by Helms' white racial identity development model since those days (when I was in the contact and disintegration stages of white identity development).

    The person I was then would have argued vehemently with the person I am today. I'm not sure that there is any way to really convince someone who is fully entrenched in one of those earlier stages of white identity development that certain things exist. The resistance is often based on their own feelings of persecution for being white. They want the world to just "get over it already" and they feel unjustly blamed for the racial issues that exist in the US. And to be fair, they are unjustly blamed for some things. Most of them will have had some encounter in their life with a black person in the Immersion/emersion stage of Black racial identity development (Cross) which is the stage that the stereotyped "militant black man" would be found. People in that stage will unjustly blame white individuals for all sorts of societal injustices.

    It's hard to really blame someone for their resistance to the idea of white privilege. Some people are simply not able to acknowledge it.

    And the thing to remember about these development models is that, while some people may move through all of the stages in their life as I have, some people will spend their entire lives in just one or two stages, and some people start off at "higher" stages than others. Some even start out "higher" and then "regress" to "lower" stages, while others may start out at the "lowest" stage and skip over multiple steps to reach the "highest" stage. Everyone is different. Although it is pretty easy to figure out where people are in their identity development by using these models as a guide. It certainly alleviates frustration when you know exactly what a person is capable of acknowledging in these debates.

    You aren't going to convince anyone that white privilege exists if they are not "ready" to acknowledge it. The value of these debates is usually not found with the person you are debating with directly, but is instead found with the person who is ready to make progress along their own path of racial identity development. Often they will read what you have said, or the studies you have cited, and become more aware than they were previously. That doesn't mean there is anything inherently "wrong" with a person who is in an earlier stage and unready to progress. They are limited in a way that is actually quite common. I went through that time myself. Some of them will one day be ready to move on, others will never be ready.

    The thing that does bothers me about these debates, though, is that many of the unready people have the totally misguided idea that what I say on this topic is "liberal" in nature.
    In the abstract, I'm quite open about my belief in everything you've said here. It's very easy for me to understand how a white person would be intensely opposed to the reality of white privilege just as it's easy for me to understand why a black person would harbor anger and resentment towards white people, in general. Hell, I even understand why racism seems logical to some racists. In any case, I think such individuals tend to be immersed in an environment of people mostly of their own race and therefore, not exposed to experiences that make it more difficult think as irrationally. Moreover, such people tend to take negative ideas expressed about their race very personally and, as a result, examine things like racism and white privilege from a personal rather than academic perspective. This is why I told Pirate that I hope he moves on from whatever "psychological block" is preventing him from honestly evaluating the subject.

    While, as I said, I think this way when it comes to abstract examinations of the subject, I'm much less forgiving in one on one interaction.

    And sure, I know that there are certain people who cannot be convinced because they're currently not ready for it. It's similar to addiction - just like you usually have to want sobriety to get it, you usually have to want knowledge to receive it. And, with that it mind, it's often obvious who the "not ready" people are from the extent of self-aggrandizing delusion that exists in their posts. In spite of that, I know what I want my part to be in "discussions" about these topics. I want to provide people with plenty of evidence whether through research, real-world examples or logic-based arguments because that's what I demand of myself and because, if I'm going to having part in getting people to see the truth, I want it to be on the side of providing actual info and not just rants against the system.

    Also, I don't think (?) I've head of Helms' racial identity development model, but I'm glad you referenced it because I think it will help me understand people more easily which I appreciate. It also makes me wonder if I should tailor my posts to lower standards of what people might be capable, as you put it, of acknowledging rather than just going all out with an overload of information. With that in mind, one of thought processes I've started to grow into over the past year is the fact that I just have to accept that the world is going to exist with people in it who just frankly don't know what they're talking about and are, in fact, proud of that (and that the world can still progress in spite of the hindrance they are to the effort).

    As far as the "liberal" argument: I've had many people say the same thing to me as well. It's just another way to facilitate confirmation bias. The concept of "white privilege" is apolitical even though it can have political implications.

  10. #410
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    01-04-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,432

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I would LOVE for you to give me examples of how being white has helped you.
    Well, for example, my family are WASPS and compared to Jewish, Irish, African slaves my status being raised upper middle class had an advantage over these groups or the foundation I should say gave me an advantage. Can you measure that and say all WASPS had an unfair advantage or "privelege", probably not, but I never grew up to feel like I had an inferiority complex being white but feel that a large portion of minorities probably did due to racism etc. If anyone has a right to feel that white privilege exists, it would be minority groups but don't think there is anything that can be done to counter that perception, except for more time.
    Caitlyn Strong...

Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •