View Poll Results: Does "white privilege exist"?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it is a problem we should fight to fix.

    34 35.42%
  • Yes, but it is not an issue. Whites should have first privilege in nations they built.

    4 4.17%
  • No, white privilege does not exist

    58 60.42%
Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 467

Thread: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?[W: 356]

  1. #391
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Okaaaaay.

    Well, have a nice day anyway.
    Why thank you. I love to start my days with passive aggressive niceties.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #392
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Dude, white privilege is nothing more than "flip side" of racism and discrimination against non-whites (and the consequences of both). If you believe that racism and discrimination against non-whites exist, then you believe that white privilege exists. If you don't believe that white privilege exists, then you also don't believe that racism and discrimination exist.

    So, do you believe that racism and discrimination against non-whites exist? It's a simple "yes" or "no" answer.

    And for specific examples of "white privilege": White privilege is not having to deal with the legacy of extreme systemic discrimination. White privilege is not having to worry that your personal failures will be seen by others as proof of significantly harmful stereotypes and a representation of your entire "race." White privilege is being able to see "yourself" dominate the media and be represented in a significantly diverse amount of roles rather than just the stereotypes of your race/ethnicity. White privilege is not having to deal with well-documented psychological effects of discrimination against non-whites. White privilege is having your history be so frequently represented in society that you don't need a month set aside to have widespread acknowledgement of it. White privilege is having a greater likelihood that your family was able to pass wealth down to you because they didn't have to deal with the discrimination that prevented them from acquiring it. White privilege is, with all things besides race being equal, you are multiple times more likely to receive a more lenient sentence than non-whites when you commit the same crime.
    Is there instances of racism? Yes. Always has been always will be, by everybody whatever they be. Is there institutional racism? No. Life isnt as simple as you make it out to be. Not by a long shot. What you describe inorder for it to exist would have to litteraly be pervasively widespread. Is there institutional dicrimination I am unsure, but most probabley not. Not in the way everybody thinks anyhow. Thats crappy move on your part by the way. Trying to box me into being a closet racsist. Really?

    If your getting your stuff from Tim Wise or his ilk you might want to reconsider. I wouldnt exactly call him an expert. That guy IMHO is off his bloody rocker.

    If you think there is this phenomenoa lets gets some data and crack it and see if its true. Maybe its more widespread, or a figment of your imagination. All I know is that there are very few good studies of this.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  3. #393
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    guess you should have asked for scientific then and not empirical

    see post 370 youll get a hint on how to find factual evidence

    it may not be what you specifically are looking for but it will show you how to find factual evidence none the less
    Went looking for studies cant find any worth anything. You say it exists. Then prove it. Give me something to chew on. An asserataion is being stated as fact. Present the facts. Good luck with it. I went looking. Pickens are slim and not useful in much of any way. I am not going to spend my time trying to prove YOUR sides case. Show me the money.

    By the way you apperently dont get the part were empiracal data is part of the scientific method. Observations are made and measured and catalouged.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  4. #394
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    There is data that indicates various groups are treated differently by the criminal justice system, for example. Black males, as an example are more likely to be convicted by jurors (which if they did it is a good thing in my opinion) than other groups (not good if those of other groups are just as guilty). Black males are also more likely to receive harsher sentences for the same exact crimes than others. Again, little sympathy from me for criminals and im happy they're off the streets but if undeniable statistics prove society gives some more of a benefit of the doubt and more leniency than others whole in some cases others not fitting the profile of a 'decent looking guy' are looked upon more critically then we as a society might need to need to ask ourselves are we truly being fair especially if we're ever selected for jury duty or are interviewing candidates for a job, a promotion or evaluating for pay raises. I think most people really want to be fair but subconsciously we might inadvertently be less fair that we consciously realize.
    The problem when looking at data is determining if we really are looking at like kinds of data. In order for data to have usefulness especially when trying to tease out something that may be subtle we have to make sure we are examining it in as fine of detail as we can.

    For instance when looking at doctors. There are all kinds of doctors. There are general practitioners, neurologists and everything in between. All of who are paid very differently for their very varied skill sets. We have to make sure we are at least comparing apples. Data that is TOO broad cannot be used to determine fine details.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  5. #395
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Went looking for studies cant find any worth anything. You say it exists. Then prove it. Give me something to chew on. An asserataion is being stated as fact. Present the facts. Good luck with it. I went looking. Pickens are slim and not useful in much of any way. I am not going to spend my time trying to prove YOUR sides case. Show me the money.

    By the way you apperently dont get the part were empiracal data is part of the scientific method. Observations are made and measured and catalouged.
    oh i get that its PART of it but they are factually DIFFERENT and empirical proof has already been given and thats a fact but NOW you want scientific proof which i clearly stated i dont have nor do i think anybody posted any. What else is factual is that it doesnt matter since its not needed LMAO

    didnt ask you to look for studies did i? LMAO
    i told you what to do, if you choose to ignore it thats on you, facts dont care about your opinion or your disbelief.

    this is all you need to ask yourself

    "are there any factual stories, reports that people were hired, promoted, treated special etc etc etc simply because they were white?"

    the answer is yes therefore it exists, research this and youll have all the proof that is needed for its existence, its that simple.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #396
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    The term "white privilege" is a racist one. Its only motive is to make white people feel guilty about being white. To hate themselves for being white. To expect people to take on the burden of guilt for actions and deeds that most not only had no part in, but quite probably were fellow victims is appalling.
    I didn't vote because I think it should have included "wealth privilege" and related that to the "white" nature of that demographic group. I noted "black" privilege when I was a student about 10 years agos. I've noted "women" privilege on some jobs. I just considered these to be pendulum effects associated with social corrections and, although they were personal, did not take them personally.

  7. #397
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Is there instances of racism? Yes. Always has been always will be, by everybody whatever they be. Is there institutional racism? No. Life isnt as simple as you make it out to be. Not by a long shot. What you describe inorder for it to exist would have to litteraly be pervasively widespread. Is there institutional dicrimination I am unsure, but most probabley not. Not in the way everybody thinks anyhow. Thats crappy move on your part by the way. Trying to box me into being a closet racsist. Really?

    If your getting your stuff from Tim Wise or his ilk you might want to reconsider. I wouldnt exactly call him an expert. That guy IMHO is off his bloody rocker.

    If you think there is this phenomenoa lets gets some data and crack it and see if its true. Maybe its more widespread, or a figment of your imagination. All I know is that there are very few good studies of this.
    Dude, I provided ample studies on this and there are hundreds more. If you looked at the studies I provided and if you've done even more research and you've found little evidence of white privilege, then it's safe to say that you are being willfully ignorant.

    And LOL at you saying I tried to "box you in as a closest racist". I literally have no idea how you came to that conclusion, but I suspect it's from the same distorted thought process that led you to believe I'm arguing that "life is simple."

    It's pretty clear that you aren't coming at this topic from a place of reason and, as I told another poster, since I can't work with that, this will be my last response to you. I do hope, however, that you will become aware of whatever psychological block may be preventing you from examining this topic honest and that, when you are ready, you will re-examine the well-documented, well-researched phenomenon that we are talking about.

  8. #398
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    oh i get that its PART of it but they are factually DIFFERENT and empirical proof has already been given and thats a fact but NOW you want scientific proof which i clearly stated i dont have nor do i think anybody posted any. What else is factual is that it doesnt matter since its not needed LMAO

    didnt ask you to look for studies did i? LMAO
    i told you what to do, if you choose to ignore it thats on you, facts dont care about your opinion or your disbelief.

    this is all you need to ask yourself

    "are there any factual stories, reports that people were hired, promoted, treated special etc etc etc simply because they were white?"

    the answer is yes therefore it exists, research this and youll have all the proof that is needed for its existence, its that simple.
    Emperical proof has not been given, in fact NO proof has been given. Wheres the documentation to back it up? Someones opinion of what happen to them is not fact. Stories are NOT fact. This topic has been around for some time. You would think there would have been studies on it. I am asking for data. I am asking for PROOF. No proof, no facts, just supossition of your OPINION. Prove your asseration. Prove there is white privaledge. Not racisim, white priveledge. Theres a big difference. The more I look the more I think you got NO case. Where's the lawsuits? Wheres the the studies? Wheres the data proving your point. You have brought to the table NOTHING.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  9. #399
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    You have brought to the table NOTHING.
    Did you expect different? There is a pattern of behavior going on here, if you haven't noticed.


    In any event, no, I voted with the majority here, that this nonsensical identity politics movement is a steaming crock of warmed over turd. Conceptually, it is bankrupt. It as, as someone else put it, the race card by another name.

  10. #400
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,125

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I didn't vote because I think it should have included "wealth privilege" and related that to the "white" nature of that demographic group. I noted "black" privilege when I was a student about 10 years agos. I've noted "women" privilege on some jobs. I just considered these to be pendulum effects associated with social corrections and, although they were personal, did not take them personally.
    I view the entire concept as what Nietzsche described to be "slave morality".., I'll have no part in it...

Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •