View Poll Results: Does "white privilege exist"?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it is a problem we should fight to fix.

    34 35.42%
  • Yes, but it is not an issue. Whites should have first privilege in nations they built.

    4 4.17%
  • No, white privilege does not exist

    58 60.42%
Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 467

Thread: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?[W: 356]

  1. #181
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Sorry pal, the reality is that more melanin in one's skin does not constitute anything more then the most superficial differences.

    You might as well call people over 6' tall a different 'race' OR people with red hair a different 'race'.

    And just because the masses believe in 'races' - doesn't mean it is correct. The masses used to believe the world is flat and women are genetically inferior to men and a whole bunch of other ignorant ideas.
    We're not talking about "right" or "wrong", were discussing what exists in reality and the effects that reality has. Your righteous indignation does nothing to mitigate those effects, and can actually exacerbate them.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #182
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    If its a social construct, then I can deny its significance to anything.
    You can deny it's affects all you want, but reality doesn't give a **** if you believe in it or not.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Dude, race is just one way out of many that we categorize other human beings. It isn't inherently problematic; it's only problematic when people attribute false deterministic attributes to race (e.g. being black means you're stupid). You're giving it way too much power.
    The point isn't if it is problematic or not. The point is that it is nonsensical.

    However, if you honestly believe that lumping people into 'race's' because of superficial attributes that cannot be altered is not problematic - then I suggest to you that you do not understand the human condition.

    Name one way that humankind has substantially benefitted from calling a person with a certain level of melanin a different race?

  4. #184
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    However, if you honestly believe that lumping people into 'race's' because of superficial attributes that cannot be altered is not problematic...
    Don't you see? Acknowledging the effects of such lumping is pointing out how it is problematic in a very specific way.

    That doesn't mean that one agrees with the social construct, or that they believe the social construct itself causes intrinsic differences between groups (short of superficial biological ones).
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    We're not talking about "right" or "wrong", were discussing what exists in reality and the effects that reality has. Your righteous indignation does nothing to mitigate those effects, and can actually exacerbate them.
    If stating the truth exacerbates people - tough.

  6. #186
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    If stating the truth exacerbates people - tough.
    How does one exacerbate people?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't you see? Acknowledging the effects of such lumping is pointing out how it is problematic in a very specific way.

    That doesn't mean that one agrees with the social construct, or that they believe the social construct itself causes intrinsic differences between groups (short of superficial biological ones).
    And a partridge in a pear tree.

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    How does one exacerbate people?


    You say it exacerbates people and then you ask me how it does.

    Sorry pal, I have better things to do then play that game.

    If you have a point, please just make it.

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    The reality of white privilege isn't taught enough in schools as it is - in fact, it's barely, if at all, referenced in schools. I know I didn't read about it specifically until AFTER college. From the comments in this thread, it's pretty obvious to me that 1) a lot people don't know what white privilege actually is (i.e. they think it means all white people are rich), and 2) a lot of people are hopelessly ignorant of how prevalent white privilege is. I would strongly support efforts to educate people from a young age about it. Education is always a good thing.
    Its not education, its indoctrination. I think the first time I heard about white privilege was in my 8th grade class? Wall of silence. It was brought up again in college last semester in my sociology class. Wall of silence.

    I'm all for teaching nondiscrimination. But when you start attributing success on the basis of race, that in my opinion is crossing the line. Its basically turning into, "you're white so you owe everyone else something because you were historically privileged." What the F? I don't feel privileged when I'm up studying for 6 hours a night, I don't feel privileged working my way through college while others use their grant money on $300 headsets and $900 iPads. I'm originally of a Jewish Heritage, might I remind you one of the most historically oppressed groups for thousands of years. You look at other immigration groups in our countries history, they all faced discrimination and hatred at first in this country. Now you just consider them "white" and act like they're the ones who have had it easy. I think Frank Costello (the Departed) said it best "no one is going to give it to you, you have to take it."

    And quite frankly, I'd say if you want to teach white privilege, you also have to teach iq discrepancy on the basis of race. How do you feel about that? Its something that has been widely discussed and supported, and we'd simply be "educating people." But I'm not for teaching either, because its teaching people to judge individuals and what may be true over an entire population is not always true on an individual level. But if you're going to teach one for the "education factor" I'd say you have to teach both.

    And here's the thing, race is a social construct. But why do we have to accept it as such? Teaching about white privilege merely validates the construct. Why? Shouldn't we be teaching students to get rid of the social construct, not trying to validate it?

  10. #190
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    And a partridge in a pear tree.
    Are you exacerbated?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •