View Poll Results: Does "white privilege exist"?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it is a problem we should fight to fix.

    34 35.42%
  • Yes, but it is not an issue. Whites should have first privilege in nations they built.

    4 4.17%
  • No, white privilege does not exist

    58 60.42%
Page 14 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 467

Thread: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?[W: 356]

  1. #131
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    So? Surely you aren't trying to say that being a minority causes one to commit or become the victim of a crime?



    What "reality" am I avoiding? The facts are as follows: The crimes occurred in the poorest neighborhoods in Chicago. The poorest neighborhoods in Chicago are almost entirely populated by minorities. The causal factor for the crime, though, is socio-economic, not racial.

    How, exactly, do you think that those facts help your argument against the existence of white privilege?
    Until people are willing to actually address ALL factors including WHO is committing those crimes, they will never end and those communities will continue to suffer. You have no problem exploring the impact of race...as long as you can use it your ever emerging 'sensitive' liberal guy persona. Race matters...when it is white people. Race isnt a factor...when it is 70,000 people terrorizing their own communities. Cuz...poor dears...its not their fault. Its 'white privilege' that is oppressing them.

    No wonder those communities have been remain and forever will be ****ed...what with all the 'help' they get.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Gender, Age, Race/Ethnicity
    Among all sheltered individuals over the course of a year (October 2009-September 2010)
    iii
    :
    • 62% were male
    • 38% were female
    • 21.8% are under age 18
    • 23.5% are 18-30
    • 37% are 31 to 50
    • 14.9% are 51 to 61
    • 2.8% are 62 or older
    • 41.6% are White, Non-Hispanic
    • 9.7% are White, Hispanic
    • 37% are Black/African-American
    • 4.5% are other single races;
    • 7.2% are multiple races


    http://homeless.samhsa.gov/ResourceF..._factsheet.pdf

    Homelessness Resource Center

    These numbers show that White males are the predominant population that is homeless in the US. But there are plenty of racists in any race. No race is innocent.
    This is a thread about race. Statistics do not belong here.

    Check them at the door, and just come in here with conjecture and opinion.

  3. #133
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Gender, Age, Race/Ethnicity
    Among all sheltered individuals over the course of a year (October 2009-September 2010)
    iii
    :
    • 62% were male
    • 38% were female
    • 21.8% are under age 18
    • 23.5% are 18-30
    • 37% are 31 to 50
    • 14.9% are 51 to 61
    • 2.8% are 62 or older
    • 41.6% are White, Non-Hispanic
    • 9.7% are White, Hispanic
    • 37% are Black/African-American
    • 4.5% are other single races;
    • 7.2% are multiple races


    http://homeless.samhsa.gov/ResourceF..._factsheet.pdf

    Homelessness Resource Center

    These numbers show that White males are the predominant population that is homeless in the US. But there are plenty of racists in any race. No race is innocent.
    Are you trying to make a point?

  4. #134
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Professionalism might be subjective, but perception of it isn't.
    It's determined by culture.

    Do you think if you went into a court where a black man was presiding, you'd be okay if you had on a "do rag", or a Mexican judge would allow a bandanna?
    No, because all headwear is banned in courtrooms.


    Also, do you think one parent and multiple kids is stable?
    Depends. One parent with multiple other adults living in the home, such as grandmothers and aunts, can be far more stable than many nuclear families.

    The fact that you assume nuclear family is the same thing as stable shows your cultural biases.


    That's not even remotely subjective.
    Except for the fact that it is subjective, since you are making many assumptions.



    Oh God, you're not one of those people who thinks ebonics is a real language, are you?
    It's as real as any other American dialect of English.

    It's not a dialect
    It is very ironic that you talk about using "proper" grammar, yet use this word incorrectly yourself. No definition of the word "dialect" exists where ebonics does not qualify as a dialect.

    I'm talking about the fact that a lack of knowledge in a subject is "ignit".
    Why do you care how they pronounce ignorant? British people don't really care that you mispronounce aluminium by only having four syllables it it. why are your nipples so chafed over black people's pronunciation of ignorant?

    I'm talking about "you are" being replaced with "you is".
    And I'm talking about how Americans end sentences with prepositions and such.

    I'm talking about a number of other things that is intentionally done to deviate from proper English, because that would make you some sort of Uncle Tom. Dialect? Who are you trying to kid?
    Again, profound irony where you intentionally deviate from proper English in order to make a point about how others doing so somehow means they do not have a dialect, despite the fact that no definition of the word "dialect" exists (in any dialect of English) which would support your claim.

    It's funny when people do that. Prove their own ingnance in order to claim others is bein' ignint.

    I'm sure that there are plenty of grammatical errors that even educated people can succumb to, but many are obscure.
    They certainly aren't obscure to those of us who are aware of them. And definitely not to people who speak the Queen's.

    A damned first grader knows how to use the proper helping verb.
    Most of them don't actually. they simply repeat what they hear in the way that they hear it.



    Very well, I guess you're right. I suppose that the next time I have an interview with an employer who graduated from Grambling State, I'll pull my pants down to show off my asscrack, fist-bump him and greet him with "Sup".
    Did I mention that impotent rage is also a part of white culture, these days? They've cornered the market on that and feigned victimhood.

    My question is why do you present this utterly retarded strawman, though? Why would you change your behaviors in any way simply because someone else might be a part of a different culture? That would be retarded.

    You are smarter than that.

    I'll stick with what you call "white privilege".
    The ability to stick your head in the sand and pretend white culture doesn't exist is also a benefit of white privilege.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #135
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,613

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I sound like an extreme conservative instead of a libertarian for wanting to abolish useless legislature that creates a more meritocratic society.

    Funny - you sound like a liberal when you say that.
    I am a liberal and proud of it!

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carleen View Post
    I am a liberal and proud of it!
    I know. You sound like it.

  7. #137
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Until people are willing to actually address ALL factors including WHO is committing those crimes
    Broke people.

    they will never end and those communities will continue to suffer.
    As long as they remain broke, nope.

    You have no problem exploring the impact of race...as long as you can use it your ever emerging 'sensitive' liberal guy persona.
    What the **** are you babbling about? Nothing I have said is "liberal" in any way.


    Race matters...when it is white people.
    What are you talking about? Being white isn't what makes people oblivious to white privilege.

    Race isnt a factor...when it is 70,000 people terrorizing their own communities.
    Race is a factor, but not in the way you seem to assume it is. Nearly 400 years of institutionalized racism and rejection form the mainstream culture is not going to heal overnight.

    Cuz...poor dears...its not their fault.
    It's not their fault they live in such ****ed up situations in many cases, but they still have control over their own decisions.

    Its 'white privilege' that is oppressing them.
    Partly. But it's also the fact that 400 years of oppression doesn't go away overnight, no matter how much some people wish it would just magically get better.

    No wonder those communities have been remain and forever will be ****ed...what with all the 'help' they get.
    Acknowleging reality does not harm them in any way, nor does it harm you. why do you get so mad that reality is not what you want it to be?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case
    Did I mention that impotent rage is also a part of white culture, these days? They've cornered the market on that and feigned victimhood.

    My question is why do you present this utterly retarded strawman, though? Why would you change your behaviors in any way simply because someone else might be a part of a different culture? That would be retarded.

    You are smarter than that.
    Am I?

    You talk about white privilege when it's due to white being the preferred culture. If I change immediate cultures, wouldn't it be most advantageous for me to adopt that culture temporarily? If I have an employer who embraces black culture, I'm going to "act black" because it's dominant, correct?

    Also...impotent rage? That's cute.

  9. #139
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    "White privilege" connotes advantages and special treatment based on one's skin being white. I don't think it's that simple. A person of color with the same education, general appearance, command of language, work ethic, etc., as another person who is white? I think they actually have an advantage in our society.
    I mostly agree with this, of course with exceptions. Several factors:

    -A heck of a lot of non-whites suffer from a lack of command of language that is rooted in culture. People tend to associate command of language with intellect, which isn't necessarily true.

    -There are a good amount of people who are slackers. My observation is whites can get by with this and not suffer adverse consequences while with minorities there is less patience for slackers. I think that is rooted in nepotism and extended nepotism where whites are seen more as family; just a guess. However if work your butt off as you should, you're on par with whites who work their butts off.

    -I also question how accessible upper management positions are to minorities where "The Leader" job at a company is being filled. Of course, the vast majority of people will never be considered for top of the totem pole jobs anyway so its hard to say if its race related but I've personally haven seen many minorities as top guy in a company. Some, yes.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  10. #140
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    I'm not sure why "white male privilage" is so controversial. I think it's pretty established that human beings are tribal. Even in the weakest from people typically associate with individuals that look like them, like the things they do, have similar background etc. If the majority of decision makers, managers, higher income individuals basically any individual that can provide a benefit by getting to know or develop a bond is a white male than there is a white male privilage.

    Take it a step further but generally any successful individual in business generally will give credit to a mentor figure that they've established a bond with that is higher on the organizational chart. They typically talk about how the person may of used influence to help them out or taught them valuable things.

    It's also not a knock against white males as if only white males display behavior that would lead to having an advantage by sharing common traits. If the majority of positions of power were held by another demographic group that demographic group with have "XXX privilage". It's human nature.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

Page 14 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •