View Poll Results: Does "white privilege exist"?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it is a problem we should fight to fix.

    34 35.42%
  • Yes, but it is not an issue. Whites should have first privilege in nations they built.

    4 4.17%
  • No, white privilege does not exist

    58 60.42%
Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 467

Thread: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?[W: 356]

  1. #111
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    396

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Yes, it exists. And frankly 'minority privileged' exists in many ways too. Both have benefits and disadvantages. I would guess that being white probably has more societal advantages relative to minority privilege. But I certainly cannot be sure having only ever been white male and never a minority and therefore lack that ability to compare with full knowledge.

    However, the 'fight' to fix this has been political for such a long time and I would think that initially, it did needed to be. Today, however, increasing 'minority privilege' is not going to decrease 'white privilege' at this point. We've reached a point of political diminishing returns, which needs to be recognized. Laws need to be in place to prevent any disadvantages, sure. But laws need to be removed that created advantages. The last 10% of society creating these privileges needs to be sorted out in society and punishing 100% for that 10% is only increasing that 10%.

    On a side note, I'm not voting on your poll. My vote is 'yes', but we should not fix it with political means. The reason you have listed certainly doesn't describe me. Next time, stick to answers and leave the reasoning to us, if you want a true debate about the topics.

  2. #112
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    White privilege certainly exists. White culture is still the overwhelmingly dominant culture in the US.

    Case in point: What are your assumptions about someone named Taquanna vs someone named Theresa? Latrell vs. Larry? Dikembe vs Daniel? what job do you envision each person working at? A person who has cornrows vs someone with closely cropped hair?

    Whenever a society expects someone to abandon and reject their own culture in order to adopt and assimilate to the dominant one, there is privilege for those who are native to the dominant culture. They don't need to learn a whole new language or way of speaking, for example.

    White people who think there is no such thing as white privilege will often say something like "Well if they don't go to a job interview looking like a 'gangsta' or name their children LaDanian or Laketittikaka or whatever the **** they name their kids, they wouldn't have such problems" without realizing the irony of their claim.

    When you take into account white privilege, socio-economic privilege, male privilege, etc etc, some people start way behind the eight ball.

    I'm not sure if it can ever really be "fixed" though. People aren't really self-aware enough to question their assumptions, especially when the conclusion they might reach is that they are a little bit racist.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Graffias View Post
    "White privilege (or white skin privilege) refers to what some individuals perceive as advantages that white people enjoy in certain societies beyond those commonly experienced by people of color in the same social, political, or economic spaces (nation, community, workplace, income, etc). The controversial term connotes both obvious and less obvious unspoken advantages that white individuals may not recognize they have. These include cultural affirmations of one's own worth; greater presumed social status; and freedom to move, buy, work, play, and speak freely. The concept of white privilege also implies the right to assume the universality of one's own experiences, marking others as different or exceptional while perceiving oneself as normal. It can be compared and/or combined with the concept of male privilege. Does this still exist? If so, should it be corrected and fought against?
    I honestly hate the term "white privilege." Its basically reducing someone's success to their race, saying you're only successful because you are a privileged white. Its not only playing the race card, but it is doing so in quite possible the most blatant way I could possibly think of. Teaching white privilege is essentially the same thing as the Nazi's teaching children to be hateful of the Jews, you're basically saying "look anything that a white person does right in life is because they are white and everything that a nonwhite does wrong in life is because they aren't white, and if they were white then it wouldn't have happened." Its essentially hateful teaching.

  4. #114
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,649

    Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    White privilege certainly exists. White culture is still the overwhelmingly dominant culture in the US.

    Case in point: What are your assumptions about someone named Taquanna vs someone named Theresa? Latrell vs. Larry? Dikembe vs Daniel? what job do you envision each person working at? A person who has cornrows vs someone with closely cropped hair?

    Whenever a society expects someone to abandon and reject their own culture in order to adopt and assimilate to the dominant one, there is privilege for those who are native to the dominant culture. They don't need to learn a whole new language or way of speaking, for example.

    White people who think there is no such thing as white privilege will often say something like "Well if they don't go to a job interview looking like a 'gangsta' or name their children LaDanian or Laketittikaka or whatever the **** they name their kids, they wouldn't have such problems" without realizing the irony of their claim.

    When you take into account white privilege, socio-economic privilege, male privilege, etc etc, some people start way behind the eight ball.

    I'm not sure if it can ever really be "fixed" though. People aren't really self-aware enough to question their assumptions, especially when the conclusion they might reach is that they are a little bit racist.
    Isnt it racist of you to assume Taquanna is a minority name and Theresa isnt? Or Latrell? And how many Dikembes do you know?

    Heres another reality...sometimes...stereotypes have foundation in fact and truth. When someone hears murder in Chicago...wouldnt you say that a good number of those 506 murders last year in Chicago had a few common denominators and it would NOT be necessarily inappropriate to make assumptions? For that matter...when you hear "serial killer" dont you automatically think "middle income white male"?

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    White privilege certainly exists. White culture is still the overwhelmingly dominant culture in the US.

    Case in point: What are your assumptions about someone named Taquanna vs someone named Theresa? Latrell vs. Larry? Dikembe vs Daniel? what job do you envision each person working at? A person who has cornrows vs someone with closely cropped hair?

    Whenever a society expects someone to abandon and reject their own culture in order to adopt and assimilate to the dominant one, there is privilege for those who are native to the dominant culture. They don't need to learn a whole new language or way of speaking, for example.

    White people who think there is no such thing as white privilege will often say something like "Well if they don't go to a job interview looking like a 'gangsta' or name their children LaDanian or Laketittikaka or whatever the **** they name their kids, they wouldn't have such problems" without realizing the irony of their claim.

    When you take into account white privilege, socio-economic privilege, male privilege, etc etc, some people start way behind the eight ball.

    I'm not sure if it can ever really be "fixed" though. People aren't really self-aware enough to question their assumptions, especially when the conclusion they might reach is that they are a little bit racist.
    Well, could you please show me a country without a dominant culture? Also, has the culture shift strictly been one sided, or has the shift gone both ways? Are basketball shoes only bought by blacks? Is rap music only listened to/rapped by blacks? Do only Mexicans eat at Mexican restaurants?

    The answer is no no and no. Fact is, we are the most successful pluralist country in the world.

  6. #116
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Isnt it racist of you to assume Taquanna is a minority name and Theresa isnt? Or Latrell? And how many Dikembes do you know?
    Not really. It's like assuming that the names Siobhán and Eamon are Irish. You might be wrong, but logically it makes sense to assume so because culturally-speaking, they are Irish names.

    Heres another reality...sometimes...stereotypes have foundation in fact and truth. When someone hears murder in Chicago...wouldnt you say that a good number of those 506 murders last year in Chicago had a few common denominators and it would NOT be necessarily inappropriate to make assumptions?
    Yes, most of them occurred in low income areas.

    For that matter...when you hear "serial killer" dont you automatically think "middle income white male"?
    I don't. But I happen to know a lot about serial killers.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #117
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,649

    Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Not really. It's like assuming that the names Siobhán and Eamon are Irish. You might be wrong, but logically it makes sense to assume so because culturally-speaking, they are Irish names.



    Yes, most of them occurred in low income areas.



    I don't. But I happen to know a lot about serial killers.
    Assumption translates to bias translates to bigotry. And riiiiiiiight. THATS what they all had in common Tucker. The low income neighborhoods. Just like most serial killer profiles indicate the perpetrator likes coke over pepsi. :roll

  8. #118
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Well, could you please show me a country without a dominant culture?
    Why would I need to do that? We're talking about the existence of a thing. I don't have to show it's lack of existence elsewhere in order for it to exist here.

    For example, if I make the claim that the United States has land, I am in no way required to show that Argentina or Zimbabwe do not have land in order for my claim to be accurate.

    Also, has the culture shift strictly been one sided, or has the shift gone both ways? Are basketball shoes only bought by blacks? Is rap music only listened to/rapped by blacks? Do only Mexicans eat at Mexican restaurants?
    Why do you think that this acts as a rebuttal to what I am saying?

    The answer is no no and no.
    But the real question is why do you think that those answers are relevant to the point being made?

    Fact is, we are the most successful pluralist country in the world.
    How are you determining "success"?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #119
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Assumption translates to bias translates to bigotry.
    No it doesn't. where on Earth did you get that silly idea from. Bias indicates a preference exists. Assumptions do not have to be made with a preference in one direction or another. Please do not make **** up and pretend it to be true.

    And riiiiiiiight. THATS what they all had in common Tucker. The low income neighborhoods.
    That is what they had in common, though. The vast majority occurred in the poorest neighborhoods. What is it that you think they had in common, if it is not the fact that they occurred in the poorest neighborhoods?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Does "white privilege" exist? If so, should it be corrected?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    White privilege certainly exists. White culture is still the overwhelmingly dominant culture in the US.

    Case in point: What are your assumptions about someone named Taquanna vs someone named Theresa? Latrell vs. Larry? Dikembe vs Daniel? what job do you envision each person working at? A person who has cornrows vs someone with closely cropped hair?

    Whenever a society expects someone to abandon and reject their own culture in order to adopt and assimilate to the dominant one, there is privilege for those who are native to the dominant culture. They don't need to learn a whole new language or way of speaking, for example.

    White people who think there is no such thing as white privilege will often say something like "Well if they don't go to a job interview looking like a 'gangsta' or name their children LaDanian or Laketittikaka or whatever the **** they name their kids, they wouldn't have such problems" without realizing the irony of their claim.

    When you take into account white privilege, socio-economic privilege, male privilege, etc etc, some people start way behind the eight ball.

    I'm not sure if it can ever really be "fixed" though. People aren't really self-aware enough to question their assumptions, especially when the conclusion they might reach is that they are a little bit racist.
    Couldn't disagree more.

    First of all, America is considered to be the "melting pot", so if that rings true, there really can't be a dominant culture. Also, what is considered "white culture"? Country music? CNN? Coca-Cola? NASCAR? White culture seems to change constantly, as it will occasionally integrate what is considered another culture into its ranks. It really doesn't have a key identifying factor. Now if you said "malt liquor and menthols" or "posses and pregnant teens", you know what they represent. What identity does white culture have?

    Second, America does pretty good in balance between commerce and multiculturalism. We don't let it run free like Europe does - and thank God. Look at the more multicultural nations in Europe and see what kinds of troubles they have. In America, the most important color is green. In addition, with the names reference Tucker gave, there's really nothing that says a name that could pass for a Zulu village is indicative of a white person. I've seen some names with 5 or 6 vowels in them, and the person is whiter than snow.

    Racism still exists, and probably always will. There's no way around that. However, we've found ways around "white privilege", and things like Affirmative Action are simply not needed because of acceptance on a larger scale than non-economic social circles.

Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •