Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 442

Thread: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

  1. #371
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Maybe you should start living by your own standard.
    it's called context. If someone says "are assault weapons more dangerous than pistols" obvious to a third grader that that assault weapons includes assault weapons, hence the usage of the phrase assault weapons. And the versa being pistols, following context one would understand, that I was referring to non assault weapon pistols.

    So you either lack simple context understanding or you are trying to be cute.

    Don't insult my intelligence because you make stupid statements.

  2. #372
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I expect a level of intelligence in debate forum. Where your statement may be true, it is irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    it's called context. If someone says "are assault weapons more dangerous than pistols" obvious to a third grader that that assault weapons includes assault weapons, hence the usage of the phrase assault weapons. And the versa being pistols, following context one would understand, that I was referring to non assault weapon pistols.

    So you either lack simple context understanding or you are trying to be cute.

    Don't insult my intelligence because you make stupid statements.
    Obviously not irrelevant, except maybe in your own mind, since multiple people are making the point.

    Logan's Law #6: Common Sense isn't

    To you maybe, it is common sense to say that you are comparing all assault weapons (pistol, rifle, shotgun) to only non-assault pistols. To others it is common sense that the way your OP is worded that you are comparing a weapon type with itself, at least in potential since assault weapons covers pistols.

    Simply because you feel that you made a clear context does not mean that it is so. And obviously it is not so. I have gone back and, while maintaining that my point stands, that I have not sufficiently worded my OP as to make my point clear. Are you too proud to do the same?
    Last edited by maquiscat; 02-22-13 at 08:39 AM.

  3. #373
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Obviously not irrelevant, except maybe in your own mind, since multiple people are making the point.

    Logan's Law #6: Common Sense isn't

    To you maybe, it is common sense to say that you are comparing all assault weapons (pistol, rifle, shotgun) to only non-assault pistols. To others it is common sense that the way your OP is worded that you are comparing a weapon type with itself, at least in potential since assault weapons covers pistols.

    Simply because you feel that you made a clear context does not mean that it is so. And obviously it is not so. I have gone back and, while maintaining that my point stands, that I have not sufficiently worded my OP as to make my point clear. Are you too proud to do the same?
    head games are always irrelevant. any third grader on this planet is capable of picking out context you just insist on playing head games because you haven't got a relevant point to make.

  4. #374
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    it's called context. If someone says "are assault weapons more dangerous than pistols" obvious to a third grader that that assault weapons includes assault weapons, hence the usage of the phrase assault weapons. And the versa being pistols, following context one would understand, that I was referring to non assault weapon pistols.

    So you either lack simple context understanding or you are trying to be cute.

    Don't insult my intelligence because you make stupid statements.
    OP made a false comparison. I'm sorry you aren't smart enough to understand what that is, but you shouldn't demand intelligence from others until you can begin to demonstrate some yourself. Have a good day

  5. #375
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    OP made a false comparison. I'm sorry you aren't smart enough to understand what that is, but you shouldn't demand intelligence from others until you can begin to demonstrate some yourself. Have a good day
    It wasn't false, assault weapon is a euphemism that includes a vast array of shotguns rifles and pistols. Pistol is an actual type of gun. When I gave the either or choice I knew that some folks would get hung up in semantics, there always is a few on this forum.

    You make no valid point, just a terrible English lesson on how to ignore context. So of that is your point, okay I got it, you don't have a firm grasp on the English language, that is the only point you made.

  6. #376
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Obviously not irrelevant, except maybe in your own mind, since multiple people are making the point.

    Logan's Law #6: Common Sense isn't

    To you maybe, it is common sense to say that you are comparing all assault weapons (pistol, rifle, shotgun) to only non-assault pistols. To others it is common sense that the way your OP is worded that you are comparing a weapon type with itself, at least in potential since assault weapons covers pistols.

    Simply because you feel that you made a clear context does not mean that it is so. And obviously it is not so. I have gone back and, while maintaining that my point stands, that I have not sufficiently worded my OP as to make my point clear. Are you too proud to do the same?
    That is what was implied, by the use of verbiage, you know that, you just want to dodge the question. If implication is a foreign concept to you, perhaps you should look that up.

    But you are not really interested in this thread, you just want to play head games.

    Little advice, in hopes to make this debate forum a debate forum instead of a remedial English class, if you don't understand the OP, don't post in the thread.

  7. #377
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    It wasn't false...
    It was totally false.

  8. #378
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It was totally false.
    It wasn't.

    Are all pistols assault weapons?

  9. #379
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    It wasn't.
    It was, because it compared a kind of firearm with something which isn't any kind of firearm.

    A pistol is a kind of firearm An "assault weapon" isn't any kind of firearm, it's a style, exactly like a style of clothing.

  10. #380
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It was, because it compared a kind of firearm with something which isn't any kind of firearm.

    A pistol is a kind of firearm An "assault weapon" isn't any kind of firearm, it's a style, exactly like a style of clothing.
    Are all pistols assault weapons?

Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •