Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 442

Thread: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

  1. #271
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    I think ya'll are over-thinking this.

    Common sense definition of an assault rifle: If a rifle is a semi automatic and it was trialed or selected in any police or military tactical rifle trial, it is an assault rifle. Make and maintain a list.
    rejected as silly. do police own weapons to assault a fixed position-ie hose it down with automatic fire so that other members of the police can destroy the position with explosives or flame throwers?

    IF NOT then it is not an Assault rifle

    you need to learn what the term ASSAULT meant when the term ASSAULT RIFLE was created



  2. #272
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    you have no point, your point was the situation is more dangerous depending on the gun.
    No that wasn't my point. My point was that it all depended on the situation and the environment. The gun is just one aspect. The type of people involved, whether its outdoors or indoors, size of room/area, knowledge or lack of knowledge of seeing whats coming and many other factors.

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    my point is the situation is only as dangerous as the people involved.
    The people alone are not enough as I just demonstrated. An AR15 isn't going to be much help if you're in an enclosed space compared to a pistol. On the other hand a pistol isn't going to be much help when your target is 500 meters away. An AR15 is going to be worthless to someone robbing a convience store for the simple fact that the victim will see the AR15 before the person gets up to the counter to wave it around. On the other hand a pistol is quite concealable and the victim won't know its there until its pointed in his/her face.

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    since when is stating fact dancing around? or are you just another political hack?
    The dancing happened when you tried to ignore that we were talking about what is dangerous by claiming that Person A & B may not be violent. For that simple fact alone they would not even be a part of this discussion.

    And this subject has nothing to do with politics. It has to do with real world applications. There is a reason that infantry normally carries assault rifles (or bigger) and those in the Navy normally just carry pistols. And that is because one has to do with open area fighting. The other has to do with in close fighting in narrow corridors where assault rifles would be, at best, cumbersome.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #273
    Professor
    finebead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 12:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    rejected as silly. do police own weapons to assault a fixed position-ie hose it down with automatic fire so that other members of the police can destroy the position with explosives or flame throwers?

    IF NOT then it is not an Assault rifle

    you need to learn what the term ASSAULT meant when the term ASSAULT RIFLE was created
    It's not silly, its common sense. This definition would cover the ar 15, ak 47, SKS, bushmasters, and tons of what we generally consider assault weapons. It would NOT cover anschutz target rifles, no .22 rimfires, whether they have a pistol grip or not.

    It actually gets right to the point.

  4. #274
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    It's not silly, its common sense. This definition would cover the ar 15, ak 47, SKS, bushmasters, and tons of what we generally consider assault weapons. It would NOT cover anschutz target rifles, no .22 rimfires, whether they have a pistol grip or not.

    It actually gets right to the point.
    So you define a weapons by its name rather than by what it can do? Hmm....I think Turtle was right, your position IS silly.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #275
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    It's not silly, its common sense. This definition would cover the ar 15, ak 47, SKS, bushmasters, and tons of what we generally consider assault weapons. It would NOT cover anschutz target rifles, no .22 rimfires, whether they have a pistol grip or not.

    It actually gets right to the point.

    Its still stupid because none of those NON AUTOMATIC weapons are suitable for an ASSAULT as contemplated by those who defined the term assault weapon in the 40s

    Anti gun scumbag politicians and their toadies in the press use that term to scare people who are too ignorant or stupid to understand that "assault" as applied to the weapons is a specific military concept that is not achievable with semi auto only.



  6. #276
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    I dont care if the right wingers are focusing on pistol grips or not or what they are saying. I do believe that pistol grips do not make a weapon more dangerous however.

    Your links do not show anything. I could easily find a few bad sources that back up my opinion like you have. And your right I havent backed up my position with links yet. But you are the one who made the claim so you should have to be the one to back it up.

    Ive stated what I want when I say data. I want something that actually took and compared a rifle with a pistol grip and a rifle without a pistol grip to see if the one with a pistol grip is more accurate, more stable, and all the other things you claim it does.

    I never said that you agreed with me that the max effective range is the best measure of accuracy. Read what I wrote again. I said it is the best way to measure the range of what a weapon can be accurate at. I then went on to explain that we were talking about ranges that a weapon can be effective at.
    You have the right to care (or not) about whatever you want. However, there are people making claims that are demonstrably false, and I see nothing wrong with my pointig that out.

    As far as pistol grips being effective, I doubt that anyone has scientifically determined this. However, the effectiveness of pistol grips is amply demonstrated by their wide usage by govt agencies that care not a whit about aesthetics. They arm their agents with rifles that have pistol grips for a reason, and that reason is not because it makes them look better or scarier.

    And yes, I get what you're saying regarding the max eff range, but my point isn't the max eff range, it's about the dangerousness of a weapon and whether or not a pistol grip contributes to that. I don't believe the term "dangerousness" can be determined using one measure. The same goes for measuring accuracy. Different weapons are more suited for certain situations, and other weapons are more suited for thers. The dangerousness of a weapon is not determined by one measure, but by the capabilities o the weapon and the situations it's used in
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #277
    Professor
    finebead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 12:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    I think ya'll are over-thinking this.

    Common sense definition of an assault rifle: If a rifle is a semi automatic and it was trialed or selected in any police or military tactical rifle trial, it is an assault rifle. Make and maintain a list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So you define a weapons by its name rather than by what it can do? Hmm....I think Turtle was right, your position IS silly.
    You are obviously not following along. Your statement is the silly one.

  8. #278
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    Umm im slightly confused. I was saying that fully automatic weapons are difficult to control not semiautomatic weapons.
    I was referring to the principle weapon used at Newtown, which was a semi-automatic weapon (in theory - they can be ordered as semi or fully automatic).

    Besides, you don't have to fire an automatic weapon on full. You can fire short bursts or often set the weapon for short bursts (like 3 rounds).
    Last edited by DA60; 02-20-13 at 12:31 AM.

  9. #279
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    You don't have to fire an automatic weapon on full. You can fire short bursts or set the weapon for short bursts (like 3 rounds).
    full auto is mainly designed to

    1) break contact

    2) suppress movement of the enemy

    3) provide cover for allies to maneuver



  10. #280
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    You are obviously not following along. Your statement is the silly one.
    No, you have demonstrated in your posts a paucity of understanding of what the terms mean.



Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •