Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 442

Thread: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

  1. #241
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    Being that pistols are far more likely to be used in crime
    There is no straight answer to your question for the simple fact that it all depends on the situation and environment.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #242
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Never

    That's the point
    IOW, you have no point...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #243
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The fact that the spring or bolt does more to stabilize a weapon does not mean that other features can not and do not also help stabilize the weapon.

    The fact that a pistol grip is not needed to make a weapon accurate does not mean that a pistol grip can not and does not improve accuracy

    And as far as mass shootings goes, not every shot is done at very close ranges, and even when it is, having the pistol grip helps in a situation (one handed shooting) accuracy is compromised.

    As far as pistol grips providing a better grip on the weapon, that is their primary function. Its obvious that providing a better grip makes it easier to grip the weapon in both one handed and two handed positions.
    Right I never said that other features cannot be used to stabilize a weapon. My main point with that is that if a gun manufacturer wanted to make a weapon that is more stable without a pistol grip they can find a way by being creative. However I dont think that a pistol grip improves the stability of a weapon in a noticeable way.

    A pistol grip does not make a weapon more accurate. Lets take the SKS and the AK 47 for example. They are basically the same weapon except the SKS doesnt have a pistol grip while the AK 47 does. The SKS has a max effective range of 400-430 yards while the max effective range for an AK 47 is about 400-430 yards.

    Yes every shot is not done at extremely close ranges in a mass shooting. I would say at the most a mass shooter may need to shoot about 100 yards (although unlikely). The SKS that I talked about earlier easily can shoot that distance accurately.

    A pistol grips primary function is comfort. There is no reason why a rifle with a pistol grip would be easier to grip then a rifle without a pistol grip.

  4. #244
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,206

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    There is no straight answer to your question for the simple fact that it all depends on the situation and environment.
    there actually is. it really all depends on the person. since people commit crimes not guns, it doesn't matter.

  5. #245
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    True, which is why fully auto is not as widely found in military issued firearms as it used to be
    Exactly. Now the military mainly uses full auto for suppression.

  6. #246
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    Right I never said that other features cannot be used to stabilize a weapon. My main point with that is that if a gun manufacturer wanted to make a weapon that is more stable without a pistol grip they can find a way by being creative. However I dont think that a pistol grip improves the stability of a weapon in a noticeable way.

    A pistol grip does not make a weapon more accurate. Lets take the SKS and the AK 47 for example. They are basically the same weapon except the SKS doesnt have a pistol grip while the AK 47 does. The SKS has a max effective range of 400-430 yards while the max effective range for an AK 47 is about 400-430 yards.

    Yes every shot is not done at extremely close ranges in a mass shooting. I would say at the most a mass shooter may need to shoot about 100 yards (although unlikely). The SKS that I talked about earlier easily can shoot that distance accurately.

    A pistol grips primary function is comfort. There is no reason why a rifle with a pistol grip would be easier to grip then a rifle without a pistol grip.
    I think that reasonable people can disagree as to the extent that pistol grips provide a better grip, and therefore help stabilize the weapon. Howver, it's not reasonable to say it provides no better grip.

    The fact that there may be better ways to provide a better grip, or stabilize a weapon, does nothing to change the fact that the pistol grip does provide a better grip, and therefore help stabilize the weapon

    Providing a better grip, stabilizing the weapon, and yes, even comfort, can all contribute to the accuracy of the shooter. Therefore, the pistol grip does make a rifle more dangerous

    Reasonable people can disagree over just how much more danger a pistol grip contributes, but an honest and reasonable person, once presented with the facts, cannot deny that the pistol grip adds to the dangerousness of a rifle.

    re: AK SKS comparison - max eff range is not the only measure of effectiveness
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #247
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    there actually is. it really all depends on the person. since people commit crimes not guns, it doesn't matter.
    1: People would be included in the "situation" section of my post.

    2: The OP was not so much about crimes as it was about which type of gun would do the most damage. At least that is how I took it. I may be wrong. But either way my post would stand.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #248
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,593

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    There is no straight answer to your question for the simple fact that it all depends on the situation and environment.
    Actually statistics abound showing that pistols are, by far, the weapon of choice for most crime. It is not convenient or discrete to walk about with an AW, while a pistol in your pocket or waistband is very handy and discrete. While mass shooters do not generally care about escape most criminals are after money and/or revenge and wish to live to enjoy it.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #249
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,206

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    1: People would be included in the "situation" section of my post.

    2: The OP was not so much about crimes as it was about which type of gun would do the most damage. At least that is how I took it. I may be wrong. But either way my post would stand.
    it was about which 1 poses a bigger danger, danger is something that affects people.

    not sure what you mean by your post stands. but it wouldn't actually depend on the environment for the situation, it would depend on the people.

    situation doesn't mean people

  10. #250
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I think that reasonable people can disagree as to the extent that pistol grips provide a better grip, and therefore help stabilize the weapon. Howver, it's not reasonable to say it provides no better grip.

    The fact that there may be better ways to provide a better grip, or stabilize a weapon, does nothing to change the fact that the pistol grip does provide a better grip, and therefore help stabilize the weapon

    Providing a better grip, stabilizing the weapon, and yes, even comfort, can all contribute to the accuracy of the shooter. Therefore, the pistol grip does make a rifle more dangerous

    Reasonable people can disagree over just how much more danger a pistol grip contributes, but an honest and reasonable person, once presented with the facts, cannot deny that the pistol grip adds to the dangerousness of a rifle.

    re: AK SKS comparison - max eff range is not the only measure of effectiveness
    Of course reasonable people can disagree about if a pistol grip provides a better grip or not.

    The thing is your ignoring all the other better ways of stabilizing a weapon and focusing on the pistol grip which doesnt provide any noticeable increase of stability if any at all.

    You havent shown that a pistol grip can do any of the things that you claim it can do. The only thing I agree with you on is that a pistol grip is more comfortable and even then thats more personal preference then anything else. If you want your claims to have any sort of validity to them you need to provide proof such as a study comparing the accuracy of a weapon with a pistol grip and one without or the stability of a weapon with a pistol grip and one without. You havent provided any.

    And yes max effective range isnt the only measure of effectiveness but when you are talking about engaging a target at a specific range (which we were) it is the best measure of effectiveness.
    Last edited by Omgitsme; 02-19-13 at 10:38 PM.

Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •