Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 442

Thread: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

  1. #221
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    All other things being equal, a rifle with a pistol grip is easier to fire one handed than one without one.
    A pistol is easier to fire accurately one handed than a rifle.

    A pistol (generally) uses smaller, lighter rounds than a rifle and thus allows carrying more total rounds. The opitmal weapon choice for mass cacualties, in close quarters, is using multiple semi-automatic pistols with plenty of back-up magazines. Multiple pistols are also easier to conceal, to gain the element of surprise, allowing easier entry and access to the killing zone.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #222
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,204

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I just have to ask...have you ever tried to fire an M4 or similar style rifle one handed and actually hit something?
    I Doubt it, he probably is basing it on tv or video games

  3. #223
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    A pistol is easier to fire accurately one handed than a rifle.

    A pistol (generally) uses smaller, lighter rounds than a rifle and thus allows carrying more total rounds. The opitmal weapon choice for mass cacualties, in close quarters, is using multiple semi-automatic pistols with plenty of back-up magazines. Multiple pistols are also easier to conceal, to gain the element of surprise, allowing easier entry and access to the killing zone.
    Exactly! Assault rifles are a terrible weapon of choice for mass shootings. Smaller concealable weapons are the best choice.

  4. #224
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    Thats exactly my point! Its not the pistol grip that makes the mag release easier to locate its the design of the weapon.

    What exactly do you mean by stabilize?

    Pistol grips dont help improve accuracy. Most snipers rifles dont have pistol grips and are more accurate then most weapons with pistol grips. Plus accuracy isnt that important when in a mass shooting due to the close ranges at which they tend to occur. Even an inaccurate rifle such as an AK47 is still relatively accurate up to like 400 yards or so.

    Pistol grips dont make one handed fire easier. Its just has hard to use a weapon with a pistol grip one handed as it is to use a weapon without a pistol grip one handed.
    Fair enough (regarding mag releases)

    Stabilize = keep steady and on target.

    Many professionals disagree about the accuracy. Anything that makes you more comfortable, and gives you a better grip, is going to contribute to accuracy. And whether a snipers rifle has them or not says nothing about whether or not they help with accuracy on a weapon that is not a snipers' rifle.

    And pistol grips most certainly can make it easier to file a rifle one handed.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #225
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    A pistol is easier to fire accurately one handed than a rifle.

    A pistol (generally) uses smaller, lighter rounds than a rifle and thus allows carrying more total rounds. The opitmal weapon choice for mass cacualties, in close quarters, is using multiple semi-automatic pistols with plenty of back-up magazines. Multiple pistols are also easier to conceal, to gain the element of surprise, allowing easier entry and access to the killing zone.
    I'm not sure what your point is.

    Are you saying that there are other weapons which are suitable for killing lots of people? If so, you're right, but that's irrelevant to the question of whether a pistol grip can make a rifle more dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    If the question is are semi/fully automatic rifles more dangerous then semi-automatic handguns?

    Then I say clearly they are.

    Assuming they are firing similar sized ammunition with similar muzzle velocities then obviously a weapon that can fire several times more bullets per minute then another weapon will be (usually) more dangerous to those it is aimed at.


    As for adding in that the latter is less likely to be used then the latter and thus makes it more formidable to me is somewhat irrelevant.

    It has been shown time and again that with enough planning, sneaking a semi-automatic rifle into almost any situation is possible.


    The bottom line for me is this - would any of those children/teachers killed in Newtown still be alive if the shooter only had handguns?

    The 31 killings a few years ago at Virginia Tech when the shooter was armed only with two semi-automatic handguns suggests they probably would not be.


    The solution to what happened in Newtown is simple - arm the teachers/principals. Make it mandatory that a certain percentage of the staff must carry concealed handguns to receive federal/state funding. They armed the cockpits of airliners - why not schools?
    There is almost no chance that some psycho would go on a killing spree in a school if he knows that several of the teachers will be 'packing'.

  7. #227
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is.

    Are you saying that there are other weapons which are suitable for killing lots of people? If so, you're right, but that's irrelevant to the question of whether a pistol grip can make a rifle more dangerous.
    Yep. That is what I am saying. Note the topic of this thread: AW vs. pistol for "dangerousness". You are asserting that "AW" features are better than other rifles w/o those features, which may be true, but the OP is comparing AWs and pistols, as I am.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #228
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Fair enough (regarding mag releases)

    Stabilize = keep steady and on target.

    Many professionals disagree about the accuracy. Anything that makes you more comfortable, and gives you a better grip, is going to contribute to accuracy. And whether a snipers rifle has them or not says nothing about whether or not they help with accuracy on a weapon that is not a snipers' rifle.

    And pistol grips most certainly can make it easier to file a rifle one handed.
    A pistol grip doesnt really do much to stabilize a weapon. What really helps stabilize a weapon is the spring behind the bolt that keeps the recoil down. Or in some weapons the bolt is designed to move downward in order to keep the recoil down. Both of those two things are way more important to the stability of a weapon then a pistol grip which does very little and some would argue that it doesnt do help at all.

    The reason I mentioned snipers rifles is because they manage to be extremely accurate without a pistol grip which shows that a pistol grip is not necessary to make an accurate gun. And the AK47 is a much more inaccurate gun then a M14 and the AK has a pistol grip while the M14 doesnt. And what about the part of my post where I said that accuracy doesnt really matter in a mass shooting because they occur at very close ranges where even an inaccurate can be very effective?

    Can you prove that a pistol grip makes a weapon easier to fire one handed or is that just your opinion? It is just as easy to grip a weapon without a pistol grip as it is to grip a weapon with one.

  9. #229
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:50 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,306

    Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Fair enough (regarding mag releases)

    Stabilize = keep steady and on target.

    Many professionals disagree about the accuracy. Anything that makes you more comfortable, and gives you a better grip, is going to contribute to accuracy. And whether a snipers rifle has them or not says nothing about whether or not they help with accuracy on a weapon that is not a snipers' rifle.

    And pistol grips most certainly can make it easier to file a rifle one handed.
    You have no concept of long arms then.

    The only factor in terms of grip that matters for accuracy is if you can keep it tight and get cheek weld. Staying on target is about consistency and doing the same thing every time.

    But a pistol grip is not for shooting 1 handed. That is stupid. It is about ergonomics and comfort. Shooting 1 handed with a rifle has no realistic value....unless you are Rambo. It works great of you are Rambo.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  10. #230
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    If the question is are semi/fully automatic rifles more dangerous then semi-automatic handguns?

    Then I say clearly they are.

    Assuming they are firing similar sized ammunition with similar muzzle velocities then obviously a weapon that can fire several times more bullets per minute then another weapon will be (usually) more dangerous to those it is aimed at.



    As for adding in that the latter is less likely to be used then the latter and thus makes it more formidable to me is somewhat irrelevant.

    It has been shown time and again that with enough planning, sneaking a semi-automatic rifle into almost any situation is possible.


    The bottom line for me is this - would any of those children/teachers killed in Newtown still be alive if the shooter only had handguns?

    The 31 killings a few years ago at Virginia Tech when the shooter was armed only with two semi-automatic handguns suggests they probably would not be.


    The solution to what happened in Newtown is simple - arm the teachers/principals. Make it mandatory that a certain percentage of the staff must carry concealed handguns to receive federal/state funding. They armed the cockpits of airliners - why not schools?
    There is almost no chance that some psycho would go on a killing spree in a school if he knows that several of the teachers will be 'packing'.
    Thats not actually true. A fully automatic weapon is very hard to control and you wont get very many hits on target with one while a semiautomatic weapon is very easy to control and you can get several hits on target.

Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •