Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 442

Thread: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

  1. #191
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    They can be fired one handed but you wont hit anything. Ive tried it before with both a weapon with a pistol grip and a weapon without one and they were both impossible to hit anything with. So no it doesnt make it any easier with a pistol grip and I dont understand why you would even try firing a weapon one handed if you wanted to actually hit your target which I would assume if your firing a weapon at someone you do intend to hit your target.

    You said a pistol grip makes it easier to switch firing modes. On civilian weapons the only firing modes are safe and fire. So when you said that it makes it easier to switch firing modes the only thing you could have possibly been talking about is taking the weapon off of safe and onto fire.

    And pistol grips dont make it easier to release the magazine at all.
    He doesn't even have a clue what he is talking about. Most guns have pistol grips.

  2. #192
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    The problem with your argument is that there is a legal definition of an assault weapon that is not the same as a weapon used in an assault. Now if you want to argue that such a label is bogus and should be removed from the argument, then by all means please make that thread. But that is not what your OP is about. Or maybe more to the point, your OP wasn't what you wanted it to be.
    assault weapon is a colloquialism, and it's a phrase not term, it's 2 terms. it only means something because our culture says it does, the phrase is really meaningless, . I keep getting this crap from the word police, and you don't even know how to use your words. it means what it means. take it up with American people if you don't like it, or whoever improperly coined that phrase.

    if the phrase assault weapon has nothing to do with the cartridge, barrel, action, or mechanism, all weapons are assault weapons. I can get it extended magazine for any gun I want.

  3. #193
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    most weapons used in assault are not "assault weapons" (I am not going to Wright this repeatedly because you want to pretend to be stupid) meaning guns referred to as assault weapons based in the criteria of the proposed "assault weapons" ban.

    Most weapons used in assault are not "assault weapons". So the ban is only designed to steal rights. It makes no sense from a safety standpoint
    You, sir are the one playing the word games if you are going to start a thread about assault weapons and then change the definition to be any weapon used in an assault. This is why I am pointing out that you started with a false premise.

    Here let me clear things up even more:

    per the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act of 1994; the FBI's official definition of assault weapons according the the FBI itself as I showed above:

    b) DEFINITION OF SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPON- Section 921(a) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following:
    `(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means--
    `(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms, known as--
    `(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
    `(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
    `(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
    `(iv) Colt AR-15;
    `(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
    `(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
    `(vii) Steyr AUG;
    `(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
    `(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;
    `(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
    `(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
    `(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
    `(iii) a bayonet mount;
    `(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
    `(v) a grenade launcher;
    `(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
    `(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
    `(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
    `(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
    `(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
    `(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and
    `(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
    `(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
    `(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
    `(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
    `(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'.

    Even if you go with your definition of an assault weapon being a weapon that is used in an assault then your OP still contradicts itself. So I ask again. Are you talking about assault weapons or just assault rifles?

  4. #194
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I am not the only person who thinks a rifle can (and in some circumstances *should*) be fired with one hand

    One-Handed Shooting - Officer.com
    Why did you ignore the rest of my post and only focus on one small part? Especially the part where I said a pistol grip doesnt make it any easier to shoot one handed. And hell while we are at it why are you so concerned about shooting one handed when in most situations you are never going to need to shoot one handed?

    Edit: Oh and that article seems to be talking about pistols and not rifles so im not even sure how it exactly applies to what we are talking about.

  5. #195
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    assault weapon is a colloquialism, and it's a phrase not term, it's 2 terms. it only means something because our culture says it does, the phrase is really meaningless, . I keep getting this crap from the word police, and you don't even know how to use your words. it means what it means. take it up with American people if you don't like it, or whoever improperly coined that phrase.

    if the phrase assault weapon has nothing to do with the cartridge, barrel, action, or mechanism, all weapons are assault weapons. I can get it extended magazine for any gun I want.
    It's been given legal definition so it does mean something. And I just provided that legal definition.

  6. #196
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    I was going to say something but decided that it would be a bit trollish and would give Clax ideas.

  7. #197
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    ...text removed because its meaningless

    Even if you go with your definition of an assault weapon being a weapon that is used in an assault then your OP still contradicts itself. So I ask again. Are you talking about assault weapons or just assault rifles?
    If you don't like it, stop posting.

  8. #198
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    I was going to say something but decided that it would be a bit trollish and would give Clax ideas.
    I think you should exercise that restraint permanently

  9. #199
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I think you should exercise that restraint permanently
    You are being trolled whether the poster will admit it or not...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #200
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    Why did you ignore the rest of my post and only focus on one small part? Especially the part where I said a pistol grip doesnt make it any easier to shoot one handed. And hell while we are at it why are you so concerned about shooting one handed when in most situations you are never going to need to shoot one handed?

    Edit: Oh and that article seems to be talking about pistols and not rifles so im not even sure how it exactly applies to what we are talking about.
    I ignored what I thought was irrelevant, such as

    "They can be fired one handed but you wont hit anything. Ive tried it before with both a weapon with a pistol grip and a weapon without one and they were both impossible to hit anything with. So no it doesnt make it any easier with a pistol grip and I dont understand why you would even try firing a weapon one handed if you wanted to actually hit your target which I would assume if your firing a weapon at someone you do intend to hit your target."

    because your anecdotal experience firing one handed is irrelevant. It proves nothing other than your own capabilities (or lack thereof).

    I posted the link because it shows that one handed firing is both possible and useful in some circumstances.

    You may find yourself having to shoot with one hand for a number of reasons. You may be carrying something that can't be dropped, say, a flashlight. Or you may be trying to rescue someone, like a wounded partner. Or you may be using the other hand to open doors or maneuver through or around obstacles. Or, maybe you've been injured or wounded. Whatever the cause, it does happen and it happens often enough that to avoid training in one-handed shooting and gun manipulation is a serious mistake.
    And one handed shooting is relevant to a discussion that includes mass shooting because they often move about the location, opening doors as they proceed. Having one hand free, while having the other ready to fire is useful for someone planning to move around and shoot many people.

    And the link discusses shooting a rifle with one hand

    A classic example of the sudden need for injury-induced, one-handed shooting can be found on a horrible April day in Miami in 1986. When the now-infamous FBI Miami shootout began, Special Agent Edmundo Mireles was one of eight agents who found themselves in that life-and-death struggle with two professional criminals, Michael Platt and William Matix. As Mireles was maneuvering to deploy his Remington 870 pump action shotgun, he was hit in the left forearm by a .223 bullet fired by Platt. Mireles later described his suddenly useless left arm as looking like it was "turned inside out." From that point on, with the gun battle raging around him, Ed Mireles managed to fire all of the rounds from his shotgun at Platt and Matix, achieving several non-fatal hits. In spite of the fact that he had never received any training in operating the shotgun one-handed, Mireles, now seated on the pavement with his back against a car bumper, improvised. He braced the butt of the gun against the ground between his knees to work the action, and then balanced it on the bumper of the car to fire
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •