Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 442

Thread: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

  1. #181
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,168

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Nope. It's just a weapon
    No, it's an assault weapon, precisely it was an assault weapon for a moment. A blunt object isn't a weapon, it can be, but it is what ever it is, it was used as an assault or even murder weapon.

    Remember how you were wrong about what manufacturing and cosmetic meant, you're just as wrong here.

  2. #182
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,950

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    You came in to this claiming that you know what an assalt weapon is. The common misconception that ordinary rifles are assault weapons is a flawed colloquialism. I was using that flawed colloquialism.

    I just was preventing you from improperly defining the flaw. knowledge based on ignorance isn't knowledge. Just arrested your misinformation.
    Come again? I came in claiming that the term "assault weapon" includes pistols within it's definitions. When coupled with your OP question, "Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?" I am pointing out that pistols are already within the definition of assault weapons. Now if you really need me to make it clearer, here you go....

    Your question should be "Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than their 'non-assault' rifle, pistol and shotgun counterparts?"

    Is that a better and more clear response to your flawed premise OP?

  3. #183
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post

    And rifles with pistols grips can be fired with one hand

    Pistol grips also make it easier to place the operating controls ergonomically, making it easier to release the magazine while keeping ones finger on the trigger, which can be helpful to someone who intends to shoot a lot of people. It can also make it easier to switch fire modes.
    Yes they can be fired one handed but so can rifles without pistol grips. Either way you really arnt going to hit much.

    If you are going to go on a shooting spree why exactly would you worry about putting your weapon on safe at all? Why wouldnt you just keep it on fire? And I disagree with the idea that pistol grips make it easier to release the magazine and to switch from safe to fire. It just depends on how the weapon is designed. For example the AK47 has a pistol grip and in order to switch firing modes you have to take one of your hands (most commonly the hand on the pistol grip) to take the weapon off safe. And if you have ever tried doing a speed reload with an AK47 you would realize that it isnt easy at all despite the fact that it has a pistol grip.

  4. #184
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,168

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post




    Couldn't find any where they referred to the object as "assault weapon" or "weapon of assault"
    Okay, that isn't the entire case.

    Lets put it this way, if a police officer or a lawyer was to say, "what was the assault weapon" most people would know what was meant. If you want to play your silly head games because you think you are the grammar police, or you can't stand conversation, or you wish to cover up your inability to form an argument, or what ever reason, you go on and do that. But you are not part of this conversation because you're too persnickety to hold a conversation.

  5. #185
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    Yes they can be fired one handed but so can rifles without pistol grips. Either way you really arnt going to hit much.

    If you are going to go on a shooting spree why exactly would you worry about putting your weapon on safe at all? Why wouldnt you just keep it on fire? And I disagree with the idea that pistol grips make it easier to release the magazine and to switch from safe to fire. It just depends on how the weapon is designed. For example the AK47 has a pistol grip and in order to switch firing modes you have to take one of your hands (most commonly the hand on the pistol grip) to take the weapon off safe. And if you have ever tried doing a speed reload with an AK47 you would realize that it isnt easy at all despite the fact that it has a pistol grip.
    Well, we seem to have some disagreement here. One says that these weapons can't be fired one-handed, while you say they can

    And while they can be fired one handed, a pistol grip makes doing so eaier and more accurate.

    Also, I said nothing about putting the safety on. I did mention releasing the magazine, which is something a mass shooter might have do while killing a lot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #186
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,168

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Come again? I came in claiming that the term "assault weapon" includes pistols within it's definitions. When coupled with your OP question, "Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?" I am pointing out that pistols are already within the definition of assault weapons. Now if you really need me to make it clearer, here you go....

    Your question should be "Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than their 'non-assault' rifle, pistol and shotgun counterparts?"

    Is that a better and more clear response to your flawed premise OP?
    I am sick of playing these head games. everybody else seems to understand the question. go play grammar police with someone who cares.

  7. #187
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,168

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Come again? I came in claiming that the term "assault weapon" includes pistols within it's definitions. When coupled with your OP question, "Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?" I am pointing out that pistols are already within the definition of assault weapons. Now if you really need me to make it clearer, here you go....

    Your question should be "Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than their 'non-assault' rifle, pistol and shotgun counterparts?"

    Is that a better and more clear response to your flawed premise OP?
    most weapons used in assault are not "assault weapons" (I am not going to Wright this repeatedly because you want to pretend to be stupid) meaning guns referred to as assault weapons based in the criteria of the proposed "assault weapons" ban.

    Most weapons used in assault are not "assault weapons". So the ban is only designed to steal rights. It makes no sense from a safety standpoint

  8. #188
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Well, we seem to have some disagreement here. One says that these weapons can't be fired one-handed, while you say they can

    And while they can be fired one handed, a pistol grip makes doing so eaier and more accurate.

    Also, I said nothing about putting the safety on. I did mention releasing the magazine, which is something a mass shooter might have do while killing a lot of people.
    They can be fired one handed but you wont hit anything. Ive tried it before with both a weapon with a pistol grip and a weapon without one and they were both impossible to hit anything with. So no it doesnt make it any easier with a pistol grip and I dont understand why you would even try firing a weapon one handed if you wanted to actually hit your target which I would assume if your firing a weapon at someone you do intend to hit your target.

    You said a pistol grip makes it easier to switch firing modes. On civilian weapons the only firing modes are safe and fire. So when you said that it makes it easier to switch firing modes the only thing you could have possibly been talking about is taking the weapon off of safe and onto fire.

    And pistol grips dont make it easier to release the magazine at all.

  9. #189
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,168

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Well, we seem to have some disagreement here. One says that these weapons can't be fired one-handed, while you say they can

    And while they can be fired one handed, a pistol grip makes doing so eaier and more accurate.

    Also, I said nothing about putting the safety on. I did mention releasing the magazine, which is something a mass shooter might have do while killing a lot of people.
    No gun can be fired more accurately one handed. A pistol grip is for comfort only. Pistol grip doesn't mean stock free, most shotguns and bolt action rifles have pistol grips even connected to a stock. You want to play word games, play this one.

    I can shoot any gun one handed, wrist grip, thumb hole grip, peg grip, or pistol grip, all you really need is to jerk your finger back on the little trigger mechanism. It doesn't even need a grip.

  10. #190
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    They can be fired one handed but you wont hit anything. Ive tried it before with both a weapon with a pistol grip and a weapon without one and they were both impossible to hit anything with. So no it doesnt make it any easier with a pistol grip and I dont understand why you would even try firing a weapon one handed if you wanted to actually hit your target which I would assume if your firing a weapon at someone you do intend to hit your target.

    You said a pistol grip makes it easier to switch firing modes. On civilian weapons the only firing modes are safe and fire. So when you said that it makes it easier to switch firing modes the only thing you could have possibly been talking about is taking the weapon off of safe and onto fire.

    And pistol grips dont make it easier to release the magazine at all.
    I am not the only person who thinks a rifle can (and in some circumstances *should*) be fired with one hand

    One-Handed Shooting - Officer.com
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •