Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 442

Thread: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

  1. #171
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    If the weapon of assault is a blunt object, then the blunt object is an assault weapon.
    Nope. It's just a weapon
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #172
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,133

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I'm glad to see that you agree with me that saying that these features are "only cosmetic" is not only wrong, but an ineffetive argument to make.

    And I don't criticize the left for claiming that those features (or at least most of them) make guns more dangerous is because they do make the guns more dangerous

    Rate of fire and muzzle velocity are not the only measures of a weapons effectiveness.
    Please, elucidate for me how pistol grips and barrel shrouds make a weapon more dangerous. We're all waiting.

    I have never said that these features only have cosmetic uses, but any increase in danger they provide is purely cosmetic. THAT is the "cosmetic" argument.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  3. #173
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I'm glad to see that you agree with me that saying that these features are "only cosmetic" is not only wrong, but an ineffetive argument to make.

    And I don't criticize the left for claiming that those features (or at least most of them) make guns more dangerous is because they do make the guns more dangerous

    Rate of fire and muzzle velocity are not the only measures of a weapons effectiveness.
    Then I believe that you need to show how each of those features increases a given weapon's deadliness. At least one person here has shown where some of those features have made the weapon less deadly or effective.

  4. #174
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    I can list all the qualifications for what constitutes an assault weapons here is anyone wants.
    The military version, the 1994 AWB version or the 2013 AWB version? Please inform us of your "official" definition including what makes it official.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #175
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    Please, elucidate for me how pistol grips and barrel shrouds make a weapon more dangerous. We're all waiting.

    I have never said that these features only have cosmetic uses, but any increase in danger they provide is purely cosmetic. THAT is the "cosmetic" argument.
    Pistol grips allow a better grip on the weapon, make it easier to fire with one hand, thus allowing better manueverability on the part of the shooter.

    Barrel shrouds help the shooter from being injured from the heat of a gun that has been repeatedly fired in a short time
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #176
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,133

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Pistol grips allow a better grip on the weapon, make it easier to fire with one hand, thus allowing better manueverability on the part of the shooter.
    That's why all competition trap and skeet shooters use them, right? I mean, they have to rapidly and accurately adjust their aim, so they all use pistol grips. Right?

    Barrel shrouds help the shooter from being injured from the heat of a gun that has been repeatedly fired in a short time
    You've obviously never fired a gun. ONE round heats up the barrel. And there is no reason to grab a rifle by the barrel in any circumstance, whether that be hunting or combat.

    Also, 8 lbs is too heavy for a one-handed shot. Again, you would know this if you had ever fired one.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  7. #177
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The military version, the 1994 AWB version or the 2013 AWB version? Please inform us of your "official" definition including what makes it official.
    I called up the FBI office and then they sent me an email with the following:

    Quote Originally Posted by James.Eppard@ic.fbi.gov
    For definitions of assault weapons, see the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, commonly known as the Federal Assault Weapons Ban.
    If that is the official definition for the FBI then I'm sure that it's pretty damn official.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Pistol grips allow a better grip on the weapon, make it easier to fire with one hand, thus allowing better manueverability on the part of the shooter.

    Barrel shrouds help the shooter from being injured from the heat of a gun that has been repeatedly fired in a short time
    Gonzo Rodeo already addressed those in post #124. Next.

  8. #178
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,206

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    The problem with your argument is that there is a legal definition of an assault weapon that is not the same as a weapon used in an assault. Now if you want to argue that such a label is bogus and should be removed from the argument, then by all means please make that thread. But that is not what your OP is about. Or maybe more to the point, your OP wasn't what you wanted it to be.
    You came in to this claiming that you know what an assalt weapon is. The common misconception that ordinary rifles are assault weapons is a flawed colloquialism. I was using that flawed colloquialism.

    I just was preventing you from improperly defining the flaw. knowledge based on ignorance isn't knowledge. Just arrested your misinformation.

  9. #179
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    That's why all competition trap and skeet shooters use them, right? I mean, they have to rapidly and accurately adjust their aim, so they all use pistol grips. Right?
    I said nothing about pistol grips improving the rate of fire.



    You've obviously never fired a gun. ONE round heats up the barrel. And there is no reason to grab a rifle by the barrel in any circumstance, whether that be hunting or combat.

    Also, 8 lbs is too heavy for a one-handed shot. Again, you would know this if you had ever fired one.
    And additional rounds heat itup even more. More importantly, repeated fire means the barrel *stays* hot.

    If the shooter only intends on shooting one bullet, then a shroud is irrelevant. But, as is the case in some recent incidents, the shooter intends to engage in prolonged period of shooting people, the shroud can be of assistance to the shooter.

    And rifles with pistols grips can be fired with one hand

    Pistol grips also make it easier to place the operating controls ergonomically, making it easier to release the magazine while keeping ones finger on the trigger, which can be helpful to someone who intends to shoot a lot of people. It can also make it easier to switch fire modes.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #180
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Pistol grips allow a better grip on the weapon, make it easier to fire with one hand, thus allowing better manueverability on the part of the shooter.

    Barrel shrouds help the shooter from being injured from the heat of a gun that has been repeatedly fired in a short time
    Pistol grips dont make firing a rifle one handed easier. You still wont hit ****. Really the only thing I think they are good for is if you need to aim in on a target for a long period of time they are more comfortable to me but I dont ever have to aim in on a target long enough to where a pistol grip is useful.

    Gloves also help protect the shooter from the heat of a gun.

Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •