Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 442

Thread: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?[W: 207]

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    I'm hosting a pool for how many posts it takes CLAX to do the thread equivalent of putting a gun in his mouth and pulling the trigger to save himself the pain of further banter with sangha.

    Payoff is 5:1.

  2. #102
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,629

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It's funny when the pro-gunnies demonstrate an ignorance of firearms.

    Those "cosmetic" features are all functional, which is why the military buys weapons with those features. I don't know what type of delusion leads some people to think the military buys weapons because of their
    "cosmetic" value.
    that is stupid. some of those features make the weapons more suitable for several users-such as the adjustable stock on the AR 15 or M4. and how many criminals have ever put a bayonet on a rifle? a pistol grip doesn't make the weapon more deadly but easier to shoot with one hand or off a BIPOD IN FULL AUTO

    how many killers use a bipod



  3. #103
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,629

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    I think people tend to be less careful with pistol's. People with assault rifles tend respect them more. I don't think as many accidents happen with "assault" weapons as they do pistols.
    its much harder to accidentally shoot yourself with a rifle as opposed to a pistol due to the length



  4. #104
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,629

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    In other words, the fact that flash suppresors help with recoil means "they're purely cosmetic". The fact that bayonets are used means "they are purely cosmetic". The fact that these weapons are used because of their "ability to withstand harsh conditions, weight," and "durability " means that they are "purely cosmetic"

    Gotcha!!
    the failure is claiming that certain features that make a weapon more useful to the military also makes it more Dangerous

    that is stupid. commonality of parts is extremely useful for the military and its armorers. has no relationship to dangerousness, same with bayonet lugs, adjustable stocks (soldiers come in all sizes) etc



  5. #105
    Professor
    finebead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
    This is really why the whole "assault weapons ban" confuses me. If someone walks in Walmart with an M4 I will notice it right away and will take cover. If they come in with a handgun I will not know it until they choose to pull it out.

    It is harder to conceal which in my mind makes it less dangerous. The fact that semi automatic rifles contribute to significantly less deaths than handguns confirms this.
    It depends what your intentions are. If you want to hold up a gas station, pistol is just fine, range will be close, conceal-ability is important.

    On the other hand, if I was going to show up at Times Square on new years eve and do some damage, I would pick an ar 15 with a 90 round drum magazine. If you want to go up in a building (stand off a way from your intended target) then you don't want a pistol, you want a rife and a few 90 round drum mags. Like the one just below:
    Mag AR-15 Drum 90 Round MWG Clear Plastic Includes Stripper Clips and Loader

    The Beltway sniper in 2002 used an ar 15 fired by an accomplice from a trunk of a car, and they were darned hard to spot, locate and apprehend. If they had cooled it instead of killing so regularly, they could have kept it up for quite a while. With a pistol, you normally don't get to stand off that far, due to the pistol being less accurate at longer ranges than the ar 15.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltway_sniper_attacks

    I consider the ar 15 with 90 round drum to be far more dangerous if your objective is to go out and kill a lot of people, especially if you don't want to be detected on the first killing, kill a little from a standoff, and leave that hidden location and come back to kill another day. That is more of a war model, and not a practical theft model, which is the only reason that pistols kill more folks than assault rifles in peacetime USA.

  6. #106
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Those list of weapons were prohibited by name only in the brady assault weapons ban. AK47s became Mak90s, tech-22 pistols became sport-22 pistols and the same thing with other listed weapons and they passed the features test.

    Speed up to about 8 and half minutes in the video.
    What Assault Weapons Ban? - 60 Minutes - CBS News
    You're right. I should said it banned the manufacture of the weapons it banned



    Cosmetic doesn't mean mean useless either.
    True, but "only cosmetic" or "purely cosmetic" does
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #107
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Then you use a far more narrow definition of more or less dangerous than the average person does.
    No, I did not use a more narrow definition. My point was that there could be several definitions depending on how dangerous was defined vis a vis firearms.

    If dangerous is defined as "killed more people" then handguns are obviously more dangerous

    If it's defined as "used in the killings with the most fatalities", then it's not handguns
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #108
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm hosting a pool for how many posts it takes CLAX to do the thread equivalent of putting a gun in his mouth and pulling the trigger to save himself the pain of further banter with sangha.

    Payoff is 5:1.
    I think the trigger has already been pulled
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #109
    Educator Paratrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Al
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    888

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    It depends what your intentions are. If you want to hold up a gas station, pistol is just fine, range will be close, conceal-ability is important.

    On the other hand, if I was going to show up at Times Square on new years eve and do some damage, I would pick an ar 15 with a 90 round drum magazine. If you want to go up in a building (stand off a way from your intended target) then you don't want a pistol, you want a rife and a few 90 round drum mags. Like the one just below:
    Mag AR-15 Drum 90 Round MWG Clear Plastic Includes Stripper Clips and Loader

    The Beltway sniper in 2002 used an ar 15 fired by an accomplice from a trunk of a car, and they were darned hard to spot, locate and apprehend. If they had cooled it instead of killing so regularly, they could have kept it up for quite a while. With a pistol, you normally don't get to stand off that far, due to the pistol being less accurate at longer ranges than the ar 15.
    Beltway sniper attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I consider the ar 15 with 90 round drum to be far more dangerous if your objective is to go out and kill a lot of people, especially if you don't want to be detected on the first killing, kill a little from a standoff, and leave that hidden location and come back to kill another day. That is more of a war model, and not a practical theft model, which is the only reason that pistols kill more folks than assault rifles in peacetime USA.

    Number of murders in 2011 by weapon type:
    "Assault Rifles":323
    Handguns: 6,220

    fistfights:745
    knife:1704
    other non-gun weapons (bats, clubs, etc):1772

    As you can see of every type of weapon "Assault Rifles" were used the least and by a significant margin.

    They may be capable of doing alot of damage in the wrong hands but obviously the drawbacks of using them are enough that they contribute minimally to the overall ammount of murders.

  10. #110
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are assault weapons more or less dangerous than pistols?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is stupid. some of those features make the weapons more suitable for several users-such as the adjustable stock on the AR 15 or M4. and how many criminals have ever put a bayonet on a rifle? a pistol grip doesn't make the weapon more deadly but easier to shoot with one hand or off a BIPOD IN FULL AUTO

    how many killers use a bipod
    We've been through this before, Turtle.

    Of course some features are of little use to a demented mass killer. But that doesn't change the fact that those features are more than cosmetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •