View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legalized at the federal level?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, for recreational use

    50 56.18%
  • Only for medicinal purposes

    1 1.12%
  • No, but we should decriminalize it

    0 0%
  • No, it should remain banned

    5 5.62%
  • Leave it up to the states to decide

    19 21.35%
  • Legalize/decriminalize all drugs

    14 15.73%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 116

Thread: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

  1. #41
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I think I must be misunderstanding you. Are you saying we should keep something illegal just so we can fine it to fund other projects? Because that's what it sounds like.
    Actually, since he says he'd do it to spend the money on the War on Drugs and for government provided rehab...it would seem he's wanting to keep it illegal, but change the penalty to one that helps support the financial burdens of keeping it legal while removing the incarceration chance for violation of said laws.

  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Why shouldn't a principle that you apply to one thing not be applied elsewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I think the point that Cardinal is making is why not do the same for tobacco and alcohol. Make them illegal but limit punishment to fines. Certainly those 2 aren't helping public health much.
    One argument could be that applying that standard to something that is already illegal and thus relatively uncommon in the public space (in comparison to legal substances that are bad for public health) would cause little public disruption and produce fewer unexpected draw backs...where as trying to institute it on things such as fried food, alcohol, etc would cause a significant public disruption to day to day life of a large percentage of the population and is likely to have a plethora of unexpected draw backs impacting our society and economy. Speckle spoke of "rationality" that al things should be classified together....I disagree that's the only "rational" option. That's just simply deeming ones own option as the only rational choice. I believe that a very rational argument can be made that the different substances have significant differences due to their history of legality and illegality which makes carte blanche grouping of them together in terms of future actoin potentially irrational.

  3. #43
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    False dichotomy, drunk driving harms others, while a person smoking pot in their own home does not.
    Actually many people who drive drunk make it home ok so the mere act of driving drunk doesn't harm others. I wasn't presenting a dichotomy at all, it was more of an equivilancy. All criminal laws could be criticized as being from the nanny state.

  4. #44
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Legalize it and regulate/enforce/tax it in a way that is a hybrid of current alcohol and cigerette laws. Allow individual states to determine the laws and methods in which they desire to enforce and regulate the sale, use, etc.

  5. #45
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Actually many people who drive drunk make it home ok so the mere act of driving drunk doesn't harm others. I wasn't presenting a dichotomy at all, it was more of an equivilancy. All criminal laws could be criticized as being from the nanny state.
    And my whole point was that laws that do not prevent others from harming others(which drunk driving laws do) should not be considered a function of a "nanny state", but things like making weed illegal, laws against SSM, where there is no harm to another persons rights would be considered a function of a "nanny state".
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #46
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    I've smoked enough weed to fill a large building it has not did me any good. That said, though I was once against it I think it's time to legalize, tax and regulate the stuff. Marinol, which is THC and a cannabis extract is medically prescribed as an appetite stimulant and anti nausea med already exists. But recreational use should be allowed on a state to state basis. I also believe people shouldn't smoke on the job, drive or operate dangerous machinery over a certain level. Believe it or not I've seen people (myself) drive 25mph on a 70mph freeway before, so it's not that safe in every circumstance, especially surgery, programming nuclear launch codes, skyscraper construction, etc.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  7. #47
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,664

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Actually many people who drive drunk make it home ok so the mere act of driving drunk doesn't harm others. I wasn't presenting a dichotomy at all, it was more of an equivilancy. All criminal laws could be criticized as being from the nanny state.
    Are you kidding me? Many people don't crash when texting, shaving, reading or doing any number of things that impare their ability to pay full time and attention to their driving. They, none the less, are endangering others by their actions. Obviously officers are not going to pull over every driver simply to test them for DUI, they tend to pull over drivers after observing unsafe driving behavior and may thus discover the cause of that impairment. Many folks are also of the opinion that they are qualified to operate their vehicles at speeds well above the posted limits but that too will get you noticed.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #48
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,043

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    One argument could be that applying that standard to something that is already illegal and thus relatively uncommon in the public space (in comparison to legal substances that are bad for public health) would cause little public disruption and produce fewer unexpected draw backs...where as trying to institute it on things such as fried food, alcohol, etc would cause a significant public disruption to day to day life of a large percentage of the population and is likely to have a plethora of unexpected draw backs impacting our society and economy. Speckle spoke of "rationality" that al things should be classified together....I disagree that's the only "rational" option. That's just simply deeming ones own option as the only rational choice. I believe that a very rational argument can be made that the different substances have significant differences due to their history of legality and illegality which makes carte blanche grouping of them together in terms of future actoin potentially irrational.
    That's a different discussion altogether. If he wants to argue that changing the law would "cause disruption" that's one thing (though I still think that's a bad argument for a very glaringly obvious reason), but his rationale is that marijuana is bad for public health, and one he needs to actually spend time defending. Because if he doesn't believe that obvious culprits like fatty foods, alcohol and cigarettes should be fined, then "public health" obviously isn't a driving concern of his.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 02-19-13 at 12:40 PM.

  9. #49
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,043

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Actually, since he says he'd do it to spend the money on the War on Drugs and for government provided rehab...it would seem he's wanting to keep it illegal, but change the penalty to one that helps support the financial burdens of keeping it legal while removing the incarceration chance for violation of said laws.
    It saddens me to think what my reputation on this forum must be if that statement, that Digsbe supports fines over imprisonment, must be repeated infinite times.

    However, again, the rationale he specifically used was that those fines would be applied toward the war on drugs and rehabilitation. This is at best a circular argument (keeping marijuana illegal to keep marijuana illegal), at worst a cynical argument to pay for other things. It's like saying that fines should be imposed on driving in a certain manner, not because it's dangerous, but because a new civic center down the street needs to be built. Or if you prefer a more 1:1 example, it's like saying that fines should be imposed on driving over 55MPH not because it's dangerous, but so that police can continue to issue fines on driving over 55MPH.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 02-19-13 at 12:51 PM.

  10. #50
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    I believe we should adopt the Portuguese model for drugs. They legalized all drugs and started taxing them. They treated addicts in hospitals instead of prisons. Addiction became a medical issue rather than a criminal one.

    I certainly think our current model is a complete failure. Prohibition funds the dealers, distributors, and cartels. Our government spends billions annually fighting a war that can never be won. It is a waste of money that could instantly turn into revenue by taxing it. If we end prohibition then we will sever the money supply to these dangerous cartels and will see a decrease in violence.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •