View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legalized at the federal level?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, for recreational use

    50 56.18%
  • Only for medicinal purposes

    1 1.12%
  • No, but we should decriminalize it

    0 0%
  • No, it should remain banned

    5 5.62%
  • Leave it up to the states to decide

    19 21.35%
  • Legalize/decriminalize all drugs

    14 15.73%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 116

Thread: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

  1. #31
    Student Vapor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 01:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    150

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think it should remain illegal because it is bad for public health and we don't need another substance like that as an OTC substance.

    What I am saying though is that using marijuana shouldn't get someone thrown in jail, instead they should be fined.
    How is it any worse for public health than alcohol or tobacco? If we were to model a federal law off the ones passed by Washington and Colorado, we could confine legal use to the home, thus making it an issue only for the user and residents. If someone is caught riding around with eyes as red as Tommy Chong's with a car reeking of skunks, they would be treated in a manner similar to a drunk driver. Rather than put criminal charges on someone's record for sitting at home, watching Half-Baked, and ordering a pizza, couldn't we just tax the sale and accomplish the same thing? Except the revenue would be gained through legal means rather than profitting from others' misfortune.

    Besides, keeping it illegal ensures that it remains a tool in the arsenal of drug cartels and street gangs. Instituting $1,000 fines won't do anything more to curb use than sending people to jail. For instance, here in Oklahoma, it is a $1,000 fine for possession of hashish, but does that mean people don't try to get hash oils? No. If I had a mind to, I could make a call and probably acquire it within the next 30 minutes. It's also a $1,000 fine for being caught with paraphernalia...I assure you, that has done nothing to limit the use of smoking devices for marijuana. It's also a possible year in prison for your first possession of any amount of marijuana; if people are willing to risk a year in prison and thousands of dollars in legal fees to smoke this plant, why would a fine stop them?

    And I leave you with one more bit of wisdom, courtesy of the late Bill Hicks.

    "Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally on our planet, serves a thousand different functions, all of them positive. To make marijuana against the law is like saying that God made a mistake. Like on the seventh day God looked down, "There it is. My Creation, perfect and holy in all ways. Now I can rest. [Gives shocked expression] Oh my Me! I left ****in' pot everywhere. I should never have smoked that joint on the third day. Hehe, that was the day I created the possum. Still gives me a chuckle. But if I leave pot everywhere, that's gonna give people the impression they're supposed to … use it! sighs Now I have to create Republicans." " … and God wept", I believe is the next part of that story."

  2. #32
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Not no but hell no....Its bad enough we have a bunch of drunks out there killing innocent people...We should never legalize grass and just add more spaced out people to the equation.
    Regardless of whether or not your characterization and narrative is accurate, it is fantastically unseemly to say that because NavyPride thinks that people getting high and 'spacing out' is wrong that the force of the state should be utilized to crash down on these offenders heads. Because it makes you uncomfortable. It's insane, and it is extremely un-American.

  3. #33
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Per the Tenth Amendment, the federal government has no business whatsoever allowing, regulating, or prohibiting the use of marijuana and other harmful drugs. This is a matter that belongs entirely to the states. If one state wants to legalize drug abuse, then that is that state's right, and the federal government has no business interfering. If another state wants to completely criminalize drug abuse, then this is that state's right, and again, the federal government has no business interfering.

    If we want there to be a national policy regarding drug abuse, then the only legitimate way to establish such a policy is to amend the Constitution to explicitly grant the federal government the authority to establish such a policy.

    I do not personally favor legalization of drug abuse, but I much less favor having the federal government sticking its nose where it has no business sticking it.
    Last edited by Bob Blaylock; 02-19-13 at 05:56 AM. Reason: A man without a forklift is nothing. May the Forks be with you.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Yes, it was silly to ban it in the first place. And the only reason they banned it in the first place was because of racism, and protecting the lumber industry.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #35
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Absolutely it should be legal. Alcohol is even more dangerous than weed.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:18 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,518

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    Yes. Absoultely. Legalize marijuana and regulate it like alcohol. Decriminalize "hard drugs" and control them. End the Idiotic War on (some) Drugs.

    This. Above. Perfect.

  7. #37
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    No, and I don't have to since you are trying to make a straw man argument.

    I'll say it again. Non-violent drug offenses should receive fines, not jail time. I don't support legalizing drugs and especially to the level of OTC status, but I also don't think the recreational pot user needs to go to jail for breaking the law.
    Don't you love how some think believing in one thing on a specific issue means you HAVE to believe that way on all similar issues? Gotta love guys like that.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #38
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Not no but hell no....Its bad enough we have a bunch of drunks out there killing innocent people...We should never legalize grass and just add more spaced out people to the equation.
    Why do you think that a nanny state is the answer to that problem, my left wing friend?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #39
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Why do you think that a nanny state is the answer to that problem, my left wing friend?
    Actually, you could make the argument that all criminal laws are the states acting as a "nanny". Should we really rely on the government to protect us from drunk drivers, for example? Believing that there is a legitimate, though limited role for government isn't the same as believing in a nanny state.

  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Actually, you could make the argument that all criminal laws are the states acting as a "nanny". Should we really rely on the government to protect us from drunk drivers, for example? Believing that there is a legitimate, though limited role for government isn't the same as believing in a nanny state.
    False dichotomy, drunk driving harms others, while a person smoking pot in their own home does not.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •