View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legalized at the federal level?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, for recreational use

    50 56.18%
  • Only for medicinal purposes

    1 1.12%
  • No, but we should decriminalize it

    0 0%
  • No, it should remain banned

    5 5.62%
  • Leave it up to the states to decide

    19 21.35%
  • Legalize/decriminalize all drugs

    14 15.73%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 116

Thread: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    What's that going to accomplish?
    Paying for the war on drugs and rehab. Non-violent drug users don't need to be behind bars, but I'm fine with imposing heavy fines for breaking the law. Maybe they'll think twice when the penalty for lighting up is $1,000+
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #12
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Figures in the last 6 months have ranged from 47% to 56% of Americans in favor of marijuana legalization, and roughly 81% support legalization for medicinal purposes. 60% say that the matter should be decided by the states. Let's see how the DP community feels about this. Should marijuana be legalized (for medicinal and/or recreational use), decriminalized, or prohibited?
    It should be legalized for both recreational and medical usage at the federal level.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #13
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Paying for the war on drugs and rehab. Non-violent drug users don't need to be behind bars, but I'm fine with imposing heavy fines for breaking the law. Maybe they'll think twice when the penalty for lighting up is $1,000+
    I think I must be misunderstanding you. Are you saying we should keep something illegal just so we can fine it to fund other projects? Because that's what it sounds like.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I think I must be misunderstanding you. Are you saying we should keep something illegal just so we can fine it to fund other projects? Because that's what it sounds like.
    I think it should remain illegal because it is bad for public health and we don't need another substance like that as an OTC substance.

    What I am saying though is that using marijuana shouldn't get someone thrown in jail, instead they should be fined.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #15
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think it should remain illegal because it is bad for public health and we don't need another substance like that as an OTC substance.

    What I am saying though is that using marijuana shouldn't get someone thrown in jail, instead they should be fined.
    Do you approve of fines for all things that are bad for public health?

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Do you approve of fines for all things that are bad for public health?
    No, and I don't have to since you are trying to make a straw man argument.

    I'll say it again. Non-violent drug offenses should receive fines, not jail time. I don't support legalizing drugs and especially to the level of OTC status, but I also don't think the recreational pot user needs to go to jail for breaking the law.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #17
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    No, and I don't have to since you are trying to make a straw man argument.

    I'll say it again. Non-violent drug offenses should receive fines, not jail time. I don't support legalizing drugs and especially to the level of OTC status, but I also don't think the recreational pot user needs to go to jail for breaking the law.
    I didn't respond to the jail issue because we're both in agreement on that. However, you said that marijuana use should be fined "because it's bad for public health." That was your reason. So why shouldn't you fine something else if it's bad for public health?

    I also have no idea what "straw man" you're referring to.

  8. #18
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    I voted to leave it to the states. The real danger with the feds jumping in is that they'll
    A) cock up the details and
    B) establish it by fiat as a standard for all the states to follow or else.

  9. #19
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Figures in the last 6 months have ranged from 47% to 56% of Americans in favor of marijuana legalization, and roughly 81% support legalization for medicinal purposes. 60% say that the matter should be decided by the states. Let's see how the DP community feels about this. Should marijuana be legalized (for medicinal and/or recreational use), decriminalized, or prohibited?
    I don't favor legalization nor do I oppose decriminalizing it. I'm unaware of any evidence that marijuana is any more addictive or disruptive than alcohol or tobacco, each of which are highly regulated and taxed. I see no reason not to do the same with marijuana. I still wouldn't have any interest in using it. It would, perhaps, reduce the number of petty crimes as well as houses being turned into grow-ops both of which would be good things. Courts are jammed with minor drug infractions and as a society we have to accept some activities that hurt no one and punish them only when they do.

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Do you support federal marijuana legalization?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I didn't respond to the jail issue because we're both in agreement on that. However, you said that marijuana use should be fined "because it's bad for public health." That was your reason. So why shouldn't you fine something else if it's bad for public health?

    I also have no idea what "straw man" you're referring to.
    No, I don't think it should be legalized because it is bad for public health and we don't need it as an OTC product. I do think that violators should be fined instead of imprisoned.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •