View Poll Results: Vote

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this administration IS the most transparent in American history

    3 5.36%
  • No, this administration is NOT the most transparent in American history

    53 94.64%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 108

Thread: Is the Obama administration the "most transparent administration in history"?[W: 104]

  1. #61
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,692

    Re: Is the Obama administration the "most transparent administration in history"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    this has always been my general impression of events, as well.
    You can pretty much see it well outlined in Woodward's books, and then get a good view of what Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, and Feith were thinking about through their statements (Feith's book is particularly helpful in conceptualizing what he thought everything was about, and in retrospect, how they screwed much of it up-even if he doesn't want to admit).
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #62
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:07 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the Obama administration the "most transparent administration in history"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    President Obama said recently his administration is the most transparent administration in [American] history. Do you agree or disagree?
    Why are conservatives and Beckites so afraid to include actual quotes with a nice link for context? I mean really, transparent in what area? The original claim from 2008 about planning to be the most transparent was in a specific area, so I suspect any claim he made since then would also be specific. Probably why you did not want any one to actually know what he really said. So really, until you actually provide basic information, your poll question is unanswerable.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #63
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is the Obama administration the "most transparent administration in history"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Independent reporting on something isn't the same as the administration being open and transparent about it
    Then I'm really not sure what you're expecting the administration to actually do. I'm not sure what I would expect them to do, either. As I said, I'm far more concerned with transparency from the legislative branch.

    The Obama administration was caught meeting with parties outside the white house to intentionally avoid them being named on the white house visitor logs

    White House meets lobbyists off campus - Chris Frates - POLITICO.com
    And I don't like that.

    can you share the exact quote with us? Because I recall Clarke's claims more being along the line that they were already convinced there was a connection, and dismissed intelligence that went against this, as opposed to an order to manufacture intelligence
    It's in the first chapter of his first book, Against All Enemies. I don't know where else it is written. But he cites direct quotes from the president. Clarke was adamant at the time that Bin Laden and Al Qaeda were responsible, while Bush directed him to find a way to blame Saddam. If it is not available online, I'm sure there are libraries that contain the book.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,872

    Re: Is the Obama administration the "most transparent administration in history"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Why are conservatives and Beckites so afraid to include actual quotes with a nice link for context?
    Because then it destroys the whole illusion of the strawman they try to make it out to be.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #65
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is the Obama administration the "most transparent administration in history"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Then I'm really not sure what you're expecting the administration to actually do. I'm not sure what I would expect them to do, either. As I said, I'm far more concerned with transparency from the legislative branch.
    you just tried to equate independent reporting with the WH being open and transparent about something. That didn't make sense, and you above reply to that revelation doesn't make sense.



    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    And I don't like that.
    No one claimed you did. But it highlights why I am not seeing a real substantial difference between Obama and Bush on the issue of transparency



    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    It's in the first chapter of his first book, Against All Enemies. I don't know where else it is written. But he cites direct quotes from the president. Clarke was adamant at the time that Bin Laden and Al Qaeda were responsible, while Bush directed him to find a way to blame Saddam. If it is not available online, I'm sure there are libraries that contain the book.
    Again, I think you're likely reading to much into it, and Clarke likely outlines a scenario resembling what I mentioned above

  6. #66
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is the Obama administration the "most transparent administration in history"?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Because then it destroys the whole illusion of the strawman they try to make it out to be.
    He deserves the cheap shots he gets on the issue, the same as the one's involving lobbyists. Clearly they don't amount to much politically, but he did paint his own bulls-eye here

  7. #67
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:07 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the Obama administration the "most transparent administration in history"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    He deserves the cheap shots he gets on the issue, the same as the one's involving lobbyists. Clearly they don't amount to much politically, but he did paint his own bulls-eye here
    Do you have a link to the quote? Do you know what he was talking about when he referred to transparency?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #68
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is the Obama administration the "most transparent administration in history"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Do you have a link to the quote? Do you know what he was talking about when he referred to transparency?
    I am referring to the fact that he ran rather heavily on the transparency issue and removing lobbyists from Washington in 2004, and such has opened the entirety of his administration to various points of needling on those issues (cheap shots), that wouldn't be present without such campaigning

    But on the point of the quote in question, if it's the one from the google "meet up", then he responds to the question by saying "on a number of fronts" and then stating "this is the most transparent administration in history" while naming various examples to highlight why this is so. In fact, one of his first examples he cites are the WH visitor logs, which are problematic on a number of fronts, and seem more about the illusion of transparency, as opposed to actual transparency

    Obama: "This Is The Most Transparent Administration In History" | RealClearPolitics

    am I thinking of the wrong quote, or wrong in my interpretation of it?

  9. #69
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Is the Obama administration the "most transparent administration in history"?

    Well, jeez. My bad that I assume people on a political forum would've seen the video already. For those that are uninformed:



  10. #70
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:07 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the Obama administration the "most transparent administration in history"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    I am referring to the fact that he ran rather heavily on the transparency issue and removing lobbyists from Washington in 2004, and such has opened the entirety of his administration to various points of needling on those issues (cheap shots), that wouldn't be present without such campaigning

    But on the point of the quote in question, if it's the one from the google "meet up", then he responds to the question by saying "on a number of fronts" and then stating "this is the most transparent administration in history" while naming various examples to highlight why this is so. In fact, one of his first examples he cites are the WH visitor logs, which are problematic on a number of fronts, and seem more about the illusion of transparency, as opposed to actual transparency

    Obama: "This Is The Most Transparent Administration In History" | RealClearPolitics

    am I thinking of the wrong quote, or wrong in my interpretation of it?
    Here is his original quote from 2008:

    Going forward, anytime the American people want to know something that I or a former president wants to withhold, we will have to consult with the Attorney General and the white house counsel, whose business it is to ensure compliance with the rule of law. Information will not be withheld just because I say so; it will be withheld because a separate authority believes my request is well-grounded in the Constitution. Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •