View Poll Results: Has participation on the forum changed your political views?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, significantly

    3 6.38%
  • Yes, but to a minor degree

    10 21.28%
  • Yes, but only on some issues

    14 29.79%
  • No, my views are exactly the same since I joined

    14 29.79%
  • No, it has reaffirmed and harden my views

    8 17.02%
  • I'm still open for persuasion

    8 17.02%
  • IDK/Other

    1 2.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64

Thread: Has participation on this forum changed your political views?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Has participation on this forum changed your political views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    WTF is that supposed to mean?
    Libertarians have a misguided belief that federalism is not a huge factor in the development of society. Without it, we would quickly run into chaos. We would have almost half the nation unable to support itself, we would have food filled with who the hell knows what, we would have no reliable electric supply within a generation, there would be toxic crap running through must water supplies, etc.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Has participation on this forum changed your political views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Libertarians have a misguided belief that federalism is not a huge factor in the development of society. Without it, we would quickly run into chaos. We would have almost half the nation unable to support itself,
    *Looks around* Sure seems to be half of the population that can't do that now. Anything else?

    we would have food filled with who the hell knows what,
    We have courts for that.

    we would have no reliable electric supply within a generation,
    Entirely erroneous and unneeded drama. Though I admit some transaction period would have to take place.

    There would be toxic crap running through must water supplies, etc.
    Again, courts.

  3. #43
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Has participation on this forum changed your political views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    *Looks around* Sure seems to be half of the population that can't do that now. Anything else?

    We have courts for that.

    Entirely erroneous and unneeded drama. Though I admit some transaction period would have to take place.

    Again, courts.
    Yes, because that all worked soooooo well in the past.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Has participation on this forum changed your political views?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Yes, because that all worked soooooo well in the past.
    Because we soooooo had the laws to make it work.

  5. #45
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,584

    Re: Has participation on this forum changed your political views?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I started off here as a hard-lining right-libertarian, but after a year here I've been pulled over to the middle in economic matters. I still don't believe that the government should be master market manipulator, but I am in favor of a small social safety net, socialized health care (with an opt-out ability like Germany), and free education. I still however believe that people can handle their money and their lives far better than a bureacrat.

    As far as social issues go, I haven't really changed at all. I believe everybody should be able to live their lives absolutely any way they choose, so long as it does not prohibit someone else from doing the same. It is absolutely none of my business who someone marries, what they smoke, or what they believe.
    That bolded alone takes income redistribution off of the table, IMHO. In order to pay Peter you must first rob Paul (or simply borrow in his name).
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #46
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: Has participation on this forum changed your political views?

    My views are pretty much the same as when I joined. However, I have enjoyed learning more about views that differ from mine. I like to learn more about it without getting into a flame war or anything.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  7. #47
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Has participation on this forum changed your political views?

    For me it was actually the previous forum before I came here. I had much looser positions that weren't as clearly defined. I actually used to call myself a libertarian, though much more from social perspectives than economic ones. But then I spent about six months debating with an economic libertarian, and found myself arguing more and more from the socialist perspective. I followed where my arguments were taking me, and discovered that a socialist model really is the best way to go. It includes the same social freedoms that I championed before, but includes enough control over economics to prevent private power from amassing too much and oppressing everybody else.

    One of the big realizations for me was that the monarchies and aristocracies of the middle ages did not involve anything like what we call "government" today. There were no checks and balances, and those systems far more closely resembled private power run amok than any kind of public institution. Even the fascist and communist regimes of the 20th century were following this "consolidate power into a few private hands and then do everything possible to keep it there" model, rather than any system oriented toward the public good.

    One area where I am always learning new things from this forum is international relations, however.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #48
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Has participation on this forum changed your political views?

    I don’t understand a political view myself. Political views seem like a religious view religious ‘views’ to me. In fact they seem to be rolled up together by many. What I want are solutions that will work. I guess my political view is Design Engineer.

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has participation on this forum changed your political views?

    Philosophical views.....political leanings.....
    Depends on the exact area...some have been hardened, others softened.
    I am an advocate of states rights, not that they know better than the feds, but that there always seems to be many different ways of doing the same thing....
    So what I do favor is a high level of communications between states and people..
    There are some mighty smart cookies here on DP.

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has participation on this forum changed your political views?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Has participation on this forum changed your political views?

    It has mine. When I first was here, I was a stauch Obama supporter, what I would call Independent Democrat and more views leaning left than right. My early messages clearly were "pro-Democrat." "anti-Republican" and "pro-Obama." I had been a Democrat election judge for my precinct.

    However, reading so many messages by members "on the left" and "on the right," OTHER THAN SOCIAL ISSUES - I find my self going further and further "right" and "Republican." However, I disagree with Republicans vehemently on nearly all social issues (gay marriage, abortion).

    I am stunned at the extreme bigotries of many on "the left" - economic, gender, race, by their almost rabid opposition to free speech, the mass number of messages calling for people of different views to be imprisoned in extremely harsh terms - and then causing them to lose nearly all rights including the right to vote, and overally contempt of individuality, private citizenry rights, and demanding goverment control-freakism. I have learned that "liberal" mostly now is the anti-thesis of "personal freedom."

    Has your views changed, hardened, or ? by participation on this forum?
    Extremism exists on both sides of the fence...and I believe that this is the major problem...Identifing this is not as easy as it seems.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •