View Poll Results: the age of consent

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • the ones under 18 should be considered child

    27 39.71%
  • the ones under 14 should be considered child

    11 16.18%
  • the ones under 21 should be coınsidered child

    7 10.29%
  • the ones over 14 should be allowed to marry too

    4 5.88%
  • the ones under 14 or 15 shouldnt be allowed to have sex if they are child

    7 10.29%
  • they are not child if they have physical maturity

    1 1.47%
  • they need both emotional and physical maturity to have sex

    11 16.18%
  • it depends on individual differences

    14 20.59%
  • l dont care

    2 2.94%
  • others

    14 20.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 249

Thread: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,027

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    I am on topic..for instance you cannot get married here legally until you are sixteen..

    But..Any age is fine and Muslims should know this since Allah gave instructions on how to divorce wives who have not yet reached puberty. You can't divorce them if you weren't married in the first place, right?

    So I think my post is totally relevant to this thread...

    This thread is called ''the age of consent'' isn't it??
    turkey is not governed by Allah's laws and you cant legally marry here either!!
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Yes. And the mental ability as well. Some at age 25 are mentally equivalent to 12 (or less). Some can easliy be manipulated or tempted into nearly anything simply by a smarter person (or group).
    Yes, but we don't have the ability or the resources to examine everyone's mental status who wants to be married. That is why we come up with a general age of consent, where we generally feel it is an acceptable age where someone has had time to complete an education (or somewhat of an education) and have some kind of life experiences.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I am not sure why people cared do much that he was 19. But I absolutely do.
    Big kisses XXX

  4. #44
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    We've kind of gotten behind the times in some ways on this issue.

    A couple centuries ago, mostly due to dietary deficiencies, puberty might not kick in until 14, 15, 16yo.

    Today, thanks to a rich diet and possibly hormones used in growing meat animals, many kids are starting puberty at 10 or 11, and most have become sexually-capable adolescents by age 12 or 13... 14 at the most.

    At that point they are theoretically capable of reproduction and most have a biological sex drive... that is, when they see someone attractive they can easily become sexually aroused and experience the desire to have sex.

    At that point, biologically speaking, they are no longer "children", but young adults or sexually-capable adolescents.

    They are capable of wanting to have sex, therefore logically they are capable of consenting to sex.

    I said LOGICALLY... not legally. Please take note. Legally, the issue is whether they can give "INFORMED consent".

    Personally I think the assumption that someone under 16 is incapable of informed consent is an over-generalization, and the assumption that someone over 16 CAN give well-informed consent is also an over-generalization. Some people are well-informed and capable of intelligent decision making at 14... some are poorly informed and consistently make stupid decisions at 25 (and older, to be honest).

    But we have to draw the line somewhere I suppose.

    I support the "Romeo and Juliet" laws that make allowance for young persons close in age having consensual sex without it being a sex crime... a 16yo boy should not be tarred with "sex offender" for life for banging his willing 15yo girlfriend. As for other age differences, I really think it ought to be considered on a case-by-case basis.

    Me personally as a parent, I probably wouldn't allow a 15yo to go out with a 17yo... lotta diff in maturity levels there in most cases. It would depend on the kids, though.

    It is very common for girls to date older boys and boys to date younger girls. A year diff is okay IMO, two years is pushing it until they're both over 16. (16 is the age of consent in my state).

    But as far as someone older, say in their 20s, having consensual sex with a sexually mature adolescent... I think that while that is not OKAY, it is an ENTIRELY different matter from some pervert who wants to boink 10 year olds. Why? Because it involves an adolescent that is capable of WANTING sex and is sexually capable.

    Now, OTOH...
    Many studies say that our brains are not fully developed until age 21-24, particularly the impulse-control parts. On that basis it would seem logical to raise the age of consent to 21 or even 22.
    HOWEVER... if we do that we're going to create a lot of convicted sex offenders!

    Surely most of us can remember being 16-20 years old, sloshing over with hormones and desires... while self-restraint during this period is admirable and preferable, we also have to "be real" and know that a lot of young people are NOT going to wait until they're 22 to have sex, and making them criminals for it is just ridiculous.

    My personal opinion: we should be really harsh, I mean as in death penalty or life without parole, on anyone who sexually abuses any pre-adolescent child... but we need to recognize that once adolescence has been reached it is a very different thing and isn't really "pedophilia" anymore.
    I'm trying to think back over a 25 year career in psych just now. I don't recall anyone much complaining of being victimized by choosing to be sexually active with others their own age who were not related to them. I do recall several women carrying an enormous load of guilt because their husbands, then boyfriends, wouldn't 'wait' until they were married. In cases of incest, most blamed themselves be they male or female. Most who considered themselves 'survivors' were abused as young children by strangers or someone known and trusted, or as adolescents by older family or friends who forced them through threats of killing a beloved parent or friend. It is all very subjective. But honestly I believe the laws we have regarding adolescents and sex are in place because adolescents just aren't able to get out there and support a child concived of an adolescent mother, not that those laws are actually working or anything.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    OK one is 13 and the other is 13 - are they both then "victims" or "perps"? What you are discribing is an age difference, rather than an absolute age. If one is 16 and the other is 13 then neither can consent, so which is the victim?
    No one is a victim in that case unless sex was forced by one upon the other. Because they are of the same age and experience level generally speaking.

  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Again, age of consent laws are set up to protect children and minors from abusive adults. Did you know that cruelty against animals laws came out BEFORE cruelty against children. Children have been horribly used and abused throughout history by adults who think "it's no big deal."

    The FACTS are that CHILDREN are not capable of informed consent. They don't have enough life experience to be able to be expected to make ANY kind of informed decision. I don't care HOW "mature" you might think they are or if they have boobies and bleed every month. I WAS a teenage girl who was impregnated by an older man (I was 16, he was 23). I KNOW what I'm talking about.

    You mistake me, but I knew that was going to happen.

    I didn't say it was wise to have sex at 16, let alone with an older man.

    However I did say that once a person is post-adolescent, they are no longer a child strictly speaking... and I stand by that. There is a WORLD of difference between a 10yo and a 15yo in terms of sexuality. I don't think making someone a "Sexual predator" for life for having sex with a willing 15yo that is sexually mature is reasonable. Contrariwise I think any adult that abuses a pre-adolescent should be executed.

    There is no "magic number" in terms of age where we suddenly become capable of making good decisions about sex... people in their 20s and 30s (and yes even older) pretty regularly make bad decisions about sex.

    WE have to draw the line somewhere I suppose... but we ought to consider that since maturity is a gradual process, maybe there ought to be some graduated levels of legal maturity as well. In a sense we already do this.... you can marry and contract at 18, but you can't drink or buy a handgun until you're 21, for instance.

    I'm just suggesting putting some thought into this instead of knee-jerk reactions. The idea of an extended childhood lasting until one is 18 or 21 is a relatively recent societal phenomenon... in ancient times a 14yo was considered an adult in many ways, albeit generally under the guidance and mentoring of a mature adult (parent, master-apprentice, or military officers, etc) until he was considerably older.

    In a lot of ways I think our children are still "children" at 18 because we don't require them to be more responsible and mature, because we LET them continue to be dependent children and act irresponsibly well past the point where they should be operating in a more-or-less adult fashion.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    You mistake me, but I knew that was going to happen.

    I didn't say it was wise to have sex at 16, let alone with an older man.

    However I did say that once a person is post-adolescent, they are no longer a child strictly speaking... and I stand by that. There is a WORLD of difference between a 10yo and a 15yo in terms of sexuality. I don't think making someone a "Sexual predator" for life for having sex with a willing 15yo that is sexually mature is reasonable. Contrariwise I think any adult that abuses a pre-adolescent should be executed.

    There is no "magic number" in terms of age where we suddenly become capable of making good decisions about sex... people in their 20s and 30s (and yes even older) pretty regularly make bad decisions about sex.

    WE have to draw the line somewhere I suppose... but we ought to consider that since maturity is a gradual process, maybe there ought to be some graduated levels of legal maturity as well. In a sense we already do this.... you can marry and contract at 18, but you can't drink or buy a handgun until you're 21, for instance.

    I'm just suggesting putting some thought into this instead of knee-jerk reactions. The idea of an extended childhood lasting until one is 18 or 21 is a relatively recent societal phenomenon... in ancient times a 14yo was considered an adult in many ways, albeit generally under the guidance and mentoring of a mature adult (parent, master-apprentice, or military officers, etc) until he was considerably older.

    In a lot of ways I think our children are still "children" at 18 because we don't require them to be more responsible and mature, because we LET them continue to be dependent children and act irresponsibly well past the point where they should be operating in a more-or-less adult fashion.
    People who get married young tend to not complete their educations. That is just another good reason for having the age of consent across the board as 18 years old. In countries where child marriage is prevalent, marriage under the age of 18, poverty is rampant. Also, women are extremely oppressed in such societies.

  8. #48
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,563

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, but we don't have the ability or the resources to examine everyone's mental status who wants to be married. That is why we come up with a general age of consent, where we generally feel it is an acceptable age where someone has had time to complete an education (or somewhat of an education) and have some kind of life experiences.
    Or require parental consent. Many statutory rape laws express an age difference, not simply an absolute age.

    Statutory Rape Laws by State
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #49
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,563

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No one is a victim in that case unless sex was forced by one upon the other. Because they are of the same age and experience level generally speaking.
    That depends on state law: Statutory Rape Laws by State
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Or require parental consent. Many statutory rape laws express an age difference, not simply an absolute age.

    Statutory Rape Laws by State
    I can agree with you about going by age differences but not parental consent. There are some really crappy parents out there. I don't agree with giving them the authority to say it is okay for their child to be married.

    That could have other unintended consequences such as arranged marriages, etc.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •